How to figure calories per pizza slice from local pizza chain?

Options
Just curious, but is there a pizza calculator to figure out calories per slice of a pizza from local chains based on pizza size (10, 12, 14, 16+"), thin crust and toppings?
Everything Im seeing is for the big chains with thick crust (papa johns, pizza hut, dominos, etc..)

Kinda hard to figure it out also since the stuff listed for those big companies is per slice, and the slices are triangles. And this stuff is square cut and obviously smaller. Or any good rule of thumbs to use?

Replies

• subversive99
    subversive99 Posts: 273 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Honestly, we try to only order from the chains that have published information these days for just this reason, and I always over eat on pizza. A good rule of thumb would be take what you think it is, and assume you are under-estimating by 50% or so.

If you wanted to get a bit more accurate, you could order a similar pizza from one of those big chains, weigh it, then you'll know the 'calories per gram' number, and you could probably safely apply that math to similar pizza from a local place.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Pizza Hut has thin crust. A slice is usually 1/8. You should be able to get pretty close from that.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I just look for big chains that have a similar style of pizza and guess.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    If you find an entry for a large-chain equivalent-style thin crust pizza that you trust (checked against chain's website, or with many user confirmations),

X/Y (A*B)

where X = the number of slices you ate
    Y = the number of slices in your total pizza
    A = one side of your rectangular pizza
    B = the other side of your rectangular pizza
    Z = the number of total slices in the chain pizza
    pi = 3.14
    r-squared = the square of the radius of the chain pizza (e.g., 36 for a 12-inch circular pizza, 64 for a 16-inch circular pizza, etc.)

Equation will yield the number of servings of the chain pizza (assuming the serving is one slice) that you should log.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I weight it and compare the contents to a chain store in terms of cheesiness, thickness of crust and topping distribution. Then I log it based on the entries for the chain store as percentage of a serving. It's not terribly precise.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Domino's also has thin-crust, square-cut pizzas. Just find something similar and ballpark it.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    If you find an entry for a large-chain equivalent-style thin crust pizza that you trust (checked against chain's website, or with many user confirmations),

X/Y (A*B)

pi = 3.14
    r-squared = the square of the radius of the chain pizza (e.g., 36 for a 12-inch circular pizza, 64 for a 16-inch circular pizza, etc.)

Equation will yield the number of servings of the chain pizza (assuming the serving is one slice) that you should log.

You made my head hurt.LOL.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options

X/Y (A*B)

pi = 3.14

I feel like I should have paid attention more in school.. It's like one of those word problems that would come up on a test.

Anyways. As the others have said. Find something similar in the database and go from there.
  • absoluttalent
    absoluttalent Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Lol.....I hate math.

Thanks for the replies
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    Options

X/Y (A*B)

pi = 3.14

+1. But I still wish I could figure it out. Or at least new what a "rectangular pizza" is, let alone its sides.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I use the SWAG method (scientific wild *kitten* guessing!). :smirk: As others have said, find what seems a close and reasonable match in the database and go with that. Assuming you're not eating this pizza nightly, it's not going to make or break your progress.

I have a lot of local spots that we hit on a regular basis, so generally at least once a week I'm totally guessing on cals, but I've still managed to reach my goals and maintain my fat loss for several years now without busting out of all my new smaller clothes. :)
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I like the guesstimating then adding 50%. Here's why: my son has had type 1 diabetes since he was a baby. The amount of insulin he takes depends on how many carbs he eats. It took a few years to figure out restaurants. What we end up doing now is guessing on the carbs and adding about 50%. That almost always works. We even have to do this with restaurants that have published nutritional information. Restaurant foods can somehow pack an extreme amount of calories and carbs in food that we would never guess could be there. It works well for us with carbs so I bet adding 50% to your guesstimate would work with calories as well.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    fidangul wrote: »

X/Y (A*B)

pi = 3.14

+1. But I still wish I could figure it out. Or at least new what a "rectangular pizza" is, let alone its sides.

childrensnook-641.jpg

She also made my brain hurt...but I just got done a long study sessions so any more thinking period would make my brain hurt at this point.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    If you ask them not to cut it, does the whole pizza count as one slice?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Pizza Hut, Dominoes and Donatos all have thin crusts.

Whenever I have to log something from a restaurant, I pick a chain and log theirs. There is no way to know if it's close to the same, but it allows me to log something. For pizza, I'd probably pick Pizza Hut.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i also eat at local pizza spots and they are ny style so the slices are like 2x that of pizza hut etc... but the crust is was thinner so I usually log a pizza hut thin slice and times it by 2.
  • malioumba
    malioumba Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Lol, yah, I just tell myself one slice of pizza is 1 thousand calories. xD
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    fidangul wrote: »

X/Y (A*B)

pi = 3.14

OP said the slices at the local pizza place were square, so I assumed it was a rectangular pizza -- not a circle of dough, but dough formed into a rectangle. I don't think I've ever seen a pizzeria slice a circular pizza into square slices. The sides are the edges. A*B is the formula for the area of a rectangle (four-sided figure whose edges all meet in right angles), where A is the length and B is the width (or vice versa ;-)
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options

OP said the slices at the local pizza place were square, so I assumed it was a rectangular pizza -- not a circle of dough, but dough formed into a rectangle. I don't think I've ever seen a pizzeria slice a circular pizza into square slices. The sides are the edges. A*B is the formula for the area of a rectangle (four-sided figure whose edges all meet in right angles), where A is the length and B is the width (or vice versa ;-)

I've never seen square cut pizza come from anything other than a round pizza? Even little ceasars, pizza hut, dominoes, etc... If you order a square cut pizza.....its from a round pizza. You end up with a few triangles too
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    This is from a fairly famous St. Louis pizza place - the super thin crust, round pizza but cut into rectangles, with provel cheese instead of mozzerella is St. Louis style pizza. ETA that the edges have some triangles in them too... yeah geometry!

ls.jpg