what's your favorite cat breed and why?

Options

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    WarDamnJay wrote: »
    d077e7150a78b3c91415abda66208100.jpg

When I saw your name on this thread, I started to get a little worried about where this would go!

I thought you were gonna SEC shotgun style and say a tiger...
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    Ligers and tigons usually suffer from gigantism or dwarfism, respectively. This causes their hearts and other organs to struggle and they generally live short lives. They're prone to things like cardiomegaly and painful bones and joints. I wish people would stop breeding them just for the sake of making lots of money off of the poor animals.

Poor animal? and how exactly does it ever live if people don't bread them?
    Yes... but a thing isn't beautiful because it lasts. It is a privilege to be among them.

I like cat breading

breading-cats-Q016.jpg
  • _John_
    Options
    kill+you+last.jpg
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    All the ones that someone else owns.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Russian blue cats. Because they're social smart and you can walk them on a leash
  • _John_
    Options
    Russian blue cats. Because they're social smart and you can walk them on a leash

I haz one...she's a sweetie. She's old and fat and doesn't clean herself the best though...

• OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    People who believe false dichotomies are funny. I have cats and dogs and I love them both. No need to pick one or the other.

But cats are better.
  • WarDamnJay
    WarDamnJay Posts: 1,916 Member
    Options

When I saw your name on this thread, I started to get a little worried about where this would go!

Normally I would have but in case you haven't been watching our mascot has recently changed to a limping *kitten* cat! :(
  • _John_
    Options

Normally I would have but in case you haven't been watching our mascot has recently changed to a limping *kitten* cat! :(

Karma would suggest you guys will have a big game this weekend...
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Options
    Maine Coon.. cause I want a big cat. HoneyBadger out.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Maine Coon.. cause I want a big cat. HoneyBadger out.

I have one. She has been the best tempered cat I've had. She's going on 15 now :o
  • LionessWhispers
    LionessWhispers Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Ligers and tigons usually suffer from gigantism or dwarfism, respectively. This causes their hearts and other organs to struggle and they generally live short lives. They're prone to things like cardiomegaly and painful bones and joints. I wish people would stop breeding them just for the sake of making lots of money off of the poor animals.

Yes... but a thing isn't beautiful because it lasts. It is a privilege to be among them.

They are not animals that would ever exist naturally in nature. Humans choose to breed them because they are a spectacle that people will pay money to see. I've worked with ligers and tigons that were cast aside because of their incredibly expensive medical bills. They all lived short lives but the people who dumped them in the first place didn't care because they were making thousands of dollars on the next ones already.
    The animal's quality of life should matter. They shouldn't be breeding them.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    None.
  • OneHundredToLose
    Options

They are not animals that would ever exist naturally in nature. Humans choose to breed them because they are a spectacle that people will pay money to see. I've worked with ligers and tigons that were cast aside because of their incredibly expensive medical bills. They all lived short lives but the people who dumped them in the first place didn't care because they were making thousands of dollars on the next ones already.

The vast majority of animals that are currently useful to humans wouldn't exist in their current forms without humans breeding them. House cats and dogs are the most obvious example of that.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options

ha
  • LionessWhispers
    Options
    The vast majority of animals that are currently useful to humans wouldn't exist in their current forms without humans breeding them. House cats and dogs are the most obvious example of that.
    Umm I'm sorry but how are ligers "useful to humans"? House cats and dogs are bred for companionship or jobs that assist humans, yes. What are ligers bred for? People are choosing to breed them knowing that they will live a short and painful life. You support breeding a hybrid animal knowing that it will be living in pain and want to equate it to the happy house cats in the photos above?

• OneHundredToLose
    Options
    Umm I'm sorry but how are ligers "useful to humans"?

Didn't say they were. I was just pointing out that your argument about them not existing without mankind's intervention isn't a sound one, since that's true for literally hundreds of other species.

• LionessWhispers
    Options
    They are not animals that would ever exist naturally in nature.

ha
    Yay! Somebody saw it! :smiley:
  • LionessWhispers
    Options

Didn't say they were. I was just pointing out that your argument about them not existing without mankind's intervention isn't a sound one, since that's true for literally hundreds of other species.

What? Lol did you read what I responded to? That was my response to the question "how exactly does it ever live if people don't [breed] them?" I was stating that they don't. They don't exist if people don't breed them because they are not found in nature.
  • OneHundredToLose
    Options

What? Lol did you read what I responded to? That was my response to the question "how exactly does it ever live if people don't [breed] them?" I was stating that they don't. They don't exist if people don't breed them because they are not found in nature.

That doesn't change the fact that saying they only exist because people breed them is irrelevant. That's pretty much true of all domesticated animals as well as many animals that are forced to live in zoos.