Crystal sugar vs Fruit sugar

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,925 Member
    edited November 2015
    It's metabolized by your body in the same way (I asked a chemist - who after doing her masters is now in med school). However, with granulated sugar, it's usually baked into things using other grains (flour - so cupcakes, cookies, etc). So you're eating sugar plus your body is breaking down the grains into more sugar - so it can kind of be a double whammy. Fruit sugar isn't accompanied by that.

I am not sure of the actual sugar content of fruit. I should look it up... but I wonder how many tsp of sugar is in a 200 g apple for example. I also wonder if it's easier to eat a lot of granulated sugar in one sitting than eating the equivalent of sugar in amount of fruit.

ETA:

20 g sugar in a 200 g apple (a decent sized apple).

20 g sugar in a mini WalMart cupcake with icing... not including the conversion of flour to sugar. Plus the serving size is for 3 cupcakes so you could convince yourself to eat 3 of them, which would be 60 g plus the carbs. So it's probably easier to reach the "you're overdoing it" stage with cupcakes. Because it's easier to eat 3 mini cupcakes than it is to eat 3 mid to large sized apples.

A tsp of sugar is about 4 grams of sugar. So if you're adding it to coffee... I wonder if it's really such a big deal.
    TR0berts wrote: »
    You have over 4 lb pears?

Most of my homegrown fruits are ridiculous in size and weight. I must be doing something right.

That being said... if you're eating a 2000 g pear everyday (I would LOVE to see a photo with something next to it for frame of reference. I find big fruit so funny. Or maybe on your food scale) that would have 200 g of sugar. It's also over 1100 calories for 1 pear that is 2 kg. Your limit is only 1330 a day, I don't think I could stick to my calories if I was on a large pear and a 200 calories snack as a daily diet.
    yarwell wrote: »
    The MFP sugar limit is 45 grams at 1200 calories, one piece of fruit should not exceed that in fact two portions of fruit are typically within it.

I weighed the pear and according to this app, it had 60g of sugar in it. It's homegrown and sweeter than supermarket pears, so that could be right. It's just that I love fruit and if I only have half of it, the rest will probably spoil. I'm very neurotic about not wasting food.

So that was a 600 g pear?

Pears have 10 g per 100 grams according to Google. So... you might want to start eating a quarter or half of a pear and freezing the rest to bake with or use in smoothies later or something. Or sharing it with someone.

Are you sure you didn't mean 0.2 kg? 200 grams? Or did you mean 2 lb? Which is still 900 g. I saw in your diary you're logging more like 160 g - 200 g pears... which is a pretty standard pear size.

ETA:

I decided to look it up!

Did you know the largest pear ever grown was an atago pear 2.948 kg (6 pounds 8 oz) and was grown in Japan? It was grown in 2011.

Fun stuff.
  • thevyrismark2
    thevyrismark2 Posts: 36 Member
    I just want to be sure, since it's a faq, but are you subtracting the weight of the core and parts you don't eat?

I didn't do that on purpose. If I type in more than I actually eat I will think I ate more and cut down on snacks at the end of the day. So far I've stayed well under my calory limit everyday that way.
  • I think we need a picture of one of these 4lb pears. It must be the size of a small pumpkin.
  • thevyrismark2
    I think we need a picture of one of these 4lb pears. It must be the size of a small pumpkin.

They are quite impressive. I don't know if anyone in my family ever took pictures, but I haven't. And pear season is pretty much over for me. I'll take some pics next year if I remember haha
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    You probably won't get a good consistent answer here. Most nutrition/medical publications I've seen recommend limiting added sugar and not worrying about sugar naturally found in food if you don't have a medical condition that requires limiting all sugar.

The WHO is an exception. They recommend limiting all sugar, including natural.

If weight loss is your only concern, then you don't need to worry about anything other than calories. The sugar recommendations are health recommendations not weight loss.

Correction; the WHO recommend limiting free sugars which they define as:

".... refer to monosaccharides (such as glucose, fructose) and disaccharides (such as sucrose or table sugar) added to foods and drinks by the manufacturer, cook or consumer, and sugars naturally present in honey, syrups, fruit juices and fruit juice concentrates."

So fruit is fine.
  • night_watcher
    night_watcher Posts: 825 Member
    80g. That must be one tiny little pear. Mine go up to 2kg. It's a very healthy tree :p

Omg, I wanna see that pear :)
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    They're both glucose and both will be used by the body metabolically in the exact same way. The only difference is that the fruit has other nutritional value as baggage, the spoon on sugar comes with no baggage.
  • VeryKatie
    edited November 2015
    brower47 wrote: »
    They're both glucose and both will be used by the body metabolically in the exact same way. The only difference is that the fruit has other nutritional value as baggage, the spoon on sugar comes with no baggage.

Well... technically a cup of sugar has 1% of one's daily intake of iron and a bit of potassium... lol
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    brower47 wrote: »

Well... technically a cup of sugar has 1% of one's daily intake of iron and a bit of potassium... lol

I stand corrected! Excellent. If I attached feelings to my food intake, I would feel better about that desert bar I ate last night. I don't but we're all different and someone like me can!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I need to ask

I always thought that the larger the fruit the less likely it would be to be absolutely delicious ...almost like the fruit delight is spread over too much mass

Are 2kg pears as yummy as a 100g one?
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 427 Member
    I just want to be sure, since it's a faq, but are you subtracting the weight of the core and parts you don't eat?

I didn't do that on purpose. If I type in more than I actually eat I will think I ate more and cut down on snacks at the end of the day. So far I've stayed well under my calory limit everyday that way.

2 things: 1) you shouldn't be eating well under your calorie limit, you should be eating AT your calorie limit :) Or, like some people do, eat 100-150 under during the week so you have a few hundred more on the weekends :)

2) I, like rabbitjb, have swapped my sugar tracker for fiber. Most of the sugar I consume is from fruit, dairy, and veg. Fiber is more important to me :)

And I second seeing a picture of the 4 lb pear :)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I need to ask

I always thought that the larger the fruit the less likely it would be to be absolutely delicious ...almost like the fruit delight is spread over too much mass

Your husband told you that, didn't he?
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    I need to ask

oooooooh_cat-1110363.jpg
  • thevyrismark2
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Are you sure you didn't mean 0.2 kg? 200 grams? Or did you mean 2 lb? Which is still 900 g. I saw in your diary you're logging more like 160 g - 200 g pears... which is a pretty standard pear size.

Not all of my pears are that big of course, but 2kg was the largest one I've had this year. I think I ate that one about a month ago. I wish I had taken a picture of it on the scale now haha
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I need to ask

You've weighed it on your kitchen scale, haven't you?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2015
    I need to ask

This is usually my experience.

I'm just trying to imagine what a 4.4 lb pear would look like!
  • spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    At last, context for this picture!

3jbskr6lv6th.jpg
  • Speckle38
    Speckle38 Posts: 53 Member
    If I was growing 2kg pears on a regular basis, I'd be aiming to break the Guinness World Record for heaviest pear.
    The heaviest pear was 2.948 kg (6 lb 8 oz) and was grown by JA Aichi Toyota Nashi Bukai (Japan) and presented at the JA Aichi Toyota main office in Toyota, Aichi, Japan on 11 November 2011. The pear was an atago pear. This variety is the biggest pear in Japan and it is original from the Okayama prefecture.
  • VeryKatie
    Speckle38 wrote: »
    If I was growing 2kg pears on a regular basis, I'd be aiming to break the Guinness World Record for heaviest pear.
    The heaviest pear was 2.948 kg (6 lb 8 oz) and was grown by JA Aichi Toyota Nashi Bukai (Japan) and presented at the JA Aichi Toyota main office in Toyota, Aichi, Japan on 11 November 2011. The pear was an atago pear. This variety is the biggest pear in Japan and it is original from the Okayama prefecture.

I agree with you! I'd add a little fertilizer at the base of the tree. If it's doing 2kg without aid, then it could do better with!