Options
1235»

Replies

• sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    ScreeField wrote: »

Ok A link with a calculator that doesn't work properly. That shows a inset circle with a trend. Not all trends are this way. Is that what your trying prove? Where is the link that shows 7,000 calories is a pound at a loss. Im curious.

I provided the source articles. See my first reply to you above. The 2 source is a very good read. (oh, and the calculator works great for me)

I guess "what I'm trying to prove", or rather in my own words, my message to the OP is: not to worry, you're doing nothing wrong. Everyone loses weight at a different rate. We shouldn't beat ourselves up over mathematical formulas invented on spherical cows that live in vacuums.

She's doing a great job, no reason to be down about it.

You are misleading the community with wrong information. 7000 calories is not a pound at a loss..

YOU ARE GIVING MISLEADING INFORMATION. PERIOD!

You copied and pasted information from a biomedical website regarding thier calculator that doesnt work properly. Then made a statement about a circle on a trend. When in fact weight loss in linear not circular.

THIS, I guess "what I'm trying to prove", or rather in my own words, my message to the OP is: not to worry, you're doing nothing wrong. Everyone loses weight at a different rate. We shouldn't beat ourselves up over mathematical formulas invented on spherical cows that live in vacuums.

Your own statement. Noone elses, so take your own advise. ^

For the OP.. Congrats on your loss. keep it up!

• lpadancer
    lpadancer Posts: 20 Member
    Options

The researchers created a calculator here:

http://www.pbrc.edu/research-and-faculty/calculators/weight-loss-predictor/

But, there are a lot of variables. Read the study.

I could be wrong, but this calculator does not seem to decrease calories eaten as the BMR decreases. You're right in that you can't just take 1000 calories off your current intake, never adjust that number, and expect to lose at the same rate. Of course it slows down. You need to adjust your intake to the needs of your current body.
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

You are misleading the community with wrong information. 7000 calories is not a pound at a loss..

You copied and pasted information from a biomedical website regarding thier calculator that doesnt work properly. Then made a statement about a circle on a trend. When in fact weight loss in linear not circular.

THIS, I guess "what I'm trying to prove", or rather in my own words, my message to the OP is: not to worry, you're doing nothing wrong. Everyone loses weight at a different rate. We shouldn't beat ourselves up over mathematical formulas invented on spherical cows that live in vacuums.

Wow, I completely apologize for upsetting you so badly.

However, there is no misrepresentation on my part at all. I'm fascinated by the research and it fit the thread. Here's a quote from the author:

In an interview, Dr. Hall said the longstanding assumption that cutting 3,500 calories will produce a one-pound weight loss indefinitely is inaccurate and can produce discouraging results both for dieters and for policy changes ...

Here's the NY Times' write up of the research (also source of above quote). It's a bit easier to understand than the journal article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/20/health/20brody.html?_r=0

And, another from Runner's World:

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/biggest-weight-loss-myth-revealed

quote from Runner's World: What’s realistic? According to Hall, in the first year of a new weight-loss program, most overweight people will lose about half the weight that the 3,500-calories rule predicts. In other words, over 12 months, the new rule is 7,000 calories = one pound. (The math changes slightly over shorter and longer periods of time, with few managing to lose weight beyond 12 months.)

• daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Seems this thread has been derailed.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Wow, I completely apologize for upsetting you so badly.

However, there is no misrepresentation on my part at all. I'm fascinated by the research and it fit the thread. Here's a quote from the author:

In an interview, Dr. Hall said the longstanding assumption that cutting 3,500 calories will produce a one-pound weight loss indefinitely is inaccurate and can produce discouraging results both for dieters and for policy changes ...

Here's the NY Times' write up of the research (also source of above quote). It's a bit easier to understand than the journal article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/20/health/20brody.html?_r=0

And, another from Runner's World:

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/biggest-weight-loss-myth-revealed

quote from Runner's World: What’s realistic? According to Hall, in the first year of a new weight-loss program, most overweight people will lose about half the weight that the 3,500-calories rule predicts. In other words, over 12 months, the new rule is 7,000 calories = one pound. (The math changes slightly over shorter and longer periods of time, with few managing to lose weight beyond 12 months.)

You shouldn't believe everything on the internet.
    A caloric adjustments would be taken in effect according to weight loss. Still a pound is 3500 calories. Losing or not. Weight loss is not linear not circular. It simply has nothing to do with the OP and has derailed the thread. Your link for a calculator loss is broken and inaccurate like the links your so fascinated with.
  • ScreeField
    ScreeField Posts: 180 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    You shouldn't believe everything on the internet.

This my dear, is so very true. Nice quote :)

I actually came across the original journal articles in a library. Since the articles aren't all online for free, had to find substitutes to link to (per requests for sources) which is what led me to NY Times, Runner's World, etc.

I'm curious, what's the source of the statement that weight loss is linear?