Contraceptive Implant and weight loss

Options
Firstly, sorry if this is a little too much information :laugh:

I've been on the contraceptive implant for nearly a year now, for the first 6-7 months I had no problems with it, well not compared to the Pill and mini pill which caused migraines, high blood pressure and strange crackling sounds in my head.. (very strange I know). All of that is fixed now.

My periods on the Pill were so regular I could time it down to an hour, but on the Implant It's more hit and miss, some months I'd have them and others none at all, until these last 4 months where I've had light bleeding every single day. This is getting on my nerves for various reasons as you can imagine, but also I'm concerned it could affect weight loss as some days I feel quite bloated and have cramps (though a bit of yoga does solve the cramps).

Does anyone else that has the implant get this? And have you managed to lose weight regardless of this happening?

Edit: I should also add that I'm 100% certain I'm not pregnant.

Replies

• kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    I am on the depo shot and I was on it before children for 7 years and had NO periods. I am back on it now and today will be my third shot (So I have been on it for 6 months) and I have had bleeding for the last 11 weeks. Not always heavy - but still very annoying. I would love to switch to something else, but I heard the implanon can cause the same thing (plus it isn't covered on my insurance). Hopefully it will get better for you soon. Below is some info on the side effects and when to call your doctor. I called mine and they said my bleeding should go away within the next 3 months so maybe you should call your doctor and ask if the symptoms are likely to continue and maybe consider another form of birth control.
    http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-144857-implanon+sdrm.aspx
  • mandyreadsbooks88
    Options
    I have been on many different types of contraception and came to the conclusion that none of them were right for me. I gained 15 lbs within two weeks of some and they all made me feel terrible. If your condition does not improve would it be possible for you to ask your man to share the burden of family planning? I have been contraception free for about 6 months now and I feel a lot better. For some women though, the various forms of birth control work great. If you dont think you main squeeze is up for using a barrier method ( i know you have to be in a monogamous relationship to get the implant) its probably best to continue on your implant because nothing is harder on your hormones and weight than a pregnancy
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Ahh, the female birth control issue, thanks to my hubs getting fixed :laugh: I don't have to worry about this anymore. I know from the ads that bleeding can occur but I would call your doctor to make sure nothing has happened to the implant, one of the concerns is damage to the uterine walls so it is always best in your situation to ask your doctor than MFP. I would be concerned over the side effects you are having.

Go to the doctor. :flowerforyou:

Oh, and the ONLY birth control that I never had any bad side effects with was a good old fashioned diaphragm!
  • kirsty176
    kirsty176 Posts: 5
    Options
    HI,

This can be common on the implant. A third of women will have irregular bleeding, so anything from light spotting to heavy bleeding everyday, a third of women with have no periods and a third of women will continue to have their regualr periods. The implant does not add weight but it can increase your appetite. Which will of course make you think you are hungry and therefore eat more. So you just need to think 'am i really hungry or is this the implant'.
    Go to your local family planning clinic and explain your bleeding problem. They can add a pill on top to control the bleeding. Though mention your migrane as they will not prescribe the combined pill with a history of migrane. The pill on top should solve this problem. But my advise really is to go to your local fmaily planning clinic and discuss with a contraceptive nurse. You can fine your local clinic on the FPA website. Just type FPA in google.
    I hope this answeres your questions.

Kirsty (contraceptive nurse)
  • bluemist248
    bluemist248 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    HI,

This can be common on the implant. A third of women will have irregular bleeding, so anything from light spotting to heavy bleeding everyday, a third of women with have no periods and a third of women will continue to have their regualr periods. The implant does not add weight but it can increase your appetite. Which will of course make you think you are hungry and therefore eat more. So you just need to think 'am i really hungry or is this the implant'.
    Go to your local family planning clinic and explain your bleeding problem. They can add a pill on top to control the bleeding. Though mention your migrane as they will not prescribe the combined pill with a history of migrane. The pill on top should solve this problem. But my advise really is to go to your local fmaily planning clinic and discuss with a contraceptive nurse. You can fine your local clinic on the FPA website. Just type FPA in google.
    I hope this answeres your questions.

Kirsty (contraceptive nurse)

I never knew I could have the pill on top! I will make an appointment with my family planning clinic this week and see what they suggest.

Thanks all for your advice! :smile:
  • escadachic
    escadachic Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    After having the Jadelle implant in since March this year. I only actually clicked to the fact that it's bloody contraception that makes my goal weight so friggen hard to reach.

As someone mentioned in another group I'm in, that she didn't go for the Jadelle, due to it most likely undoing some of her hard work and possibly making her gain some of the weight back. Which therefore got me thinking, the only time I've been happy a weight I was 100% happy with, was when I was on no contraception.

So, now I'm feeling frustrated about this reality. As I need to be on contraception presently. But, it's making my battle to lose the last 4-5 kgs, so much harder!
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Depo was the worst thing ever! I gained most of the weight I'm now working to get rid of and ended up with diabetes. It makes you hungry. It is a common/normal side effect. YOu can't get sated no mater what. My daughter was contemplating what to use and asked about Depo. I told her not to do it and of course she did as well. She has gained a lot of weight from it as well and doesn't really realize how much she eats.

I would suggest the merena you get a little dose of progesterone for 2 years, locally so it's not as systemic as other methods and it is actually more effective than tubal ligation.