How are some people SO skinny?

Options
malioumba
malioumba Posts: 132 Member
edited November 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I understand we all have different body shapes, and genetics, but some females are so thin (think Audrey Hepburn thin), and it just amazes me how everything just... fits in there.
I mean is that sort of thinness really genetics or is it a very well-kept diet? By diet - I just mean consumption of food. I don't mean dieting. It just amazes me how small some people are. Do you think they work to retain that very thin frame, or it's a little of both; genetics and healthy diet?

It's frustrating to work to lose weight, when there are people with that very skinny frame. I live in the city with the lowest obesity rate in Canada (and 2nd in all North America apparently, I read Colorado, USA is the 1st) - either way, it's in the lower end of North America and although I'm not obese, I know that my city is composed of mostly very thin and fit females. A large quantity of average thinness (12-15% body fat) and Audrey Hepburn/Taylor Swift thinness, so it can be very easy to feel defeated knowing that your BEST....will always just barely be average...at best.

It's hard to be proud of any accomplishments one makes, when the majority makes better, and bigger accomplishments. Yes, I know we're always told not to compare to one another, but I mean, despite hard work: one forever remaining in the "scraps" department of aesthetics and fitness is saddening. I understand there will always be "someone better", but it's not just...someone...it's pretty much everyone.

I guess that's where accepting one will never be Hepburn skinny/beautiful comes in and one just...deals?

Replies

• the_log_lady
    the_log_lady Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    audrey1.org/biography/16/audrey-hepburn-timeline-1929-1949
    Hepburn's story. Explains a lot.

As to the rest: confirmation bias at work, I suspect!
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    malioumba wrote: »
    It's hard to be proud of any accomplishments one makes, when the majority makes better, and bigger accomplishments. Yes, I know we're always told not to compare to one another, but I mean, despite hard work: one forever remaining in the "scraps" department of aesthetics and fitness is saddening. I understand there will always be "someone better", but it's not just...someone...it's pretty much everyone.

You're equating being thinner with being better, or a bigger accomplishment.

Your body weight is not something you want to be defining your worth by.
  • siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I guarantee you that anyone who has any financial stake in looking good, like Taylor Swift does, or like Audrey Hepburn did, keep an eye on their diet and exercise and work hard on that. And everyone can count calories, so this one is not due to any genetic privileges. That goes for men and women in that industry both.
    Of course the beautiful people do have their genetic advantages, although you can do a lot with plastic surgery these days. But you pretty much have to just deal with your height and bone structure.
    If you were born ugly, like I was, you'll never be as aesthetic as an Audrey Hepburn or a Chris Hemsworth, but that is no reason to just give up completely. I strive to be just ugly now, instead of ugly and fat. That's still better than 70% of the world that is overweight. :D You just gotta keep working on the things you can change.
  • malioumba
    malioumba Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    siluridae wrote: »
    If you were born ugly, like I was, you'll never be as aesthetic as an Audrey Hepburn or a Chris Hemsworth, but that is no reason to just give up completely. I strive to be just ugly now, instead of ugly and fat. That's still better than 70% of the world that is overweight. :D You just gotta keep working on the things you can change.

I guess that is a good reason. Strive to just be ugly, instead of ugly and fat. It's good. I could use that line when I feel really discouraged that everyone around me is smaller than a size 0.
  • ainarsraciks
    ainarsraciks Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    siluridae wrote: »

That is such a sad way how to look at things...

Ugliness and beauty is subjective things. Take Tess Holliday as example? Is she ugly? No, according to millions of people. Yes, according to many other people. In Renaissance period being chubby was actually a sign of beauty as well. In modern society being skinny is.

We all can be ugly in comparison to somebody else. Work on becoming the best person you can and work on your self-love and be who you want to, define yourself instead of letting society's subjective perceptions define you. The same is also true for your nose size not just fat you carry.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Audrey Hepburn had an eating disorder. She talked about it several times. Im skinny, size 0 and so was my mother. The 'secret' is that we just dont eat a lot. We never go hog wild with the food and we stay active. We can easily gain weight if we werent careful. Plus we don't have a big appetite and food is not our source of comfort or entertainment.

Though, like Audrey i love chocolate!

• Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine is naturally thin and actually has even hovered below a healthy bmi eventhough she can eat half a pack of custard creams in one sitting (they are like 65kcal a biscuit) and have 3 meals a day and loves sweets. She hates it, she would love to be fatter and has had many nasty comments from complete strangers telling her she lookes anorexic and to eat.

So there is a flip side to the coin.

Don't compare yourself to others there is no point,everyone has something they are not happy about.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I don't even know where to begin with this. Being a size 0 or having 12-15% BF doesn't make someone "better" or "more beautiful" or even more HEALTHY.

You should really focus on YOU and not other people. Enhance YOUR best features instead of bemoaning that you got "scraps" in the looks dept. There are plenty of thin people who don't think they are thin enough, pretty enough, whatever. Read some of the MFP threads, and you will learn very quickly that many of these people that you would consider "beautiful" feel pretty ugly. It's sad.
  • Tahlia68
    Tahlia68 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Never compare yourself to other's its very unhealthy ☺
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Both my mother and mother in law who are in their 60's and 70's and they have always been slim. My husband takes after his mother and is naturally slim and finds it difficult to put weight on. Genetics may play a part but all of them are active and have a sense of portion control. In my mother in laws case she eats really, really slowly too.

I put a lot of my weight issues to modern day living. We're just not as active as we use to be. Jobs are miles so we drive rather than walk. Working hours mean you just grab food and tend to eat alone rather than sat around the table with the family.

It's not good comparing to celebrities whose image is key to their job. You're in control of you and be the best you that you can be.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    lisalsd1 wrote: »
    I don't even know where to begin with this. Being a size 0 or having 12-15% BF doesn't make someone "better" or "more beautiful" or even more HEALTHY.

Very good advice.

I often think it's interesting psychologically that we perceive the diminishment of our bodies (via lost weight) as being "good."

My advice is to concentrate on yourself, don't worry about anyone else and don't assume smaller always = better. And I say that as someone who had an ED years ago and was very small myself. It was a very bad look for my body. And FWIW I wasn't technically underweight. Thankfully I had a very wise doctor whom I trusted completely who sat me down and explained that my body knew much more about what was right for it than any generic chart or graph knew.

Listen to your body. Don't worry about what anyone else looks like. You are uniquely you, and that's a wonderful thing.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    You can change your lifestyle and relationship with food.

The latter is critical. And the whole self worth tired to body fat is another pit to climb out of, or be helped out of if need be.

I am almost half my max weight. It isn't genetics, it is diet and exercise and just being stubborn.

I hope you can focus on being the best you that you can be, and not compare yourself to others.

The original post had so many self image red flags....

It is a sad place to be. But you don't have to stay there.

Best wishes on finding your way to being who you dearly desire to be, and above all, learn to love yourself.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    Who cares what anyone else looks like? I used to hate being called "skinny". I worked hard to overcome that. Skinny for me felt like I'm sure "fat" feels to others.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Yes... Turn your lens on yourself and find the beautiful things to love there! Stop comparing; it's more corrosive than anything else.
    As to fitness, we can all be fit. Sadly, we won't all become Olympic athletes. That has a lot to do with genetic capacity as well as training and desire.
    Same with that models' frame you're talking about. I can get myself to an unhealthy BMI but I'll never have the frame of a Victoria's Secret model. They are selected out of 10s of thousands because they fit a very specific 'type' in terms of limb length, rib cage size, hip/waist ratio, etc. It doesn't reflect an average woman's healthy body any more than a Barbie doll does!
    I always do best when I focus on being the best me I can be. And the exterior visible parts of me are just the tip of the iceberg. I am so much more than just that. You are so much more than just that. You have a great eye for beauty. You live in a beautiful place. What luck! Start there & keep adding what you enjoy about yourself & your life as you improve yourself through greater fitness, greater strength, greater brio! xoxo
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    To me, when i see very skinny women like Victoria Beckham i just presume "they just don't eat much". I couldn't imagine her eating a Burger and Chips. Lol
    A while back, i used to think most Skinny people were just lucky and could eat what they want. But then after watching a TV programme called "Supersize vs Superskinny", i soon found out that these very skinny people hardly ate a thing! It was astonishing [and pretty sad] to see how little they ate.
    I'd rather have some meat on my bones, eat what i like and be healthy - rather than be Skinny and restrict what i ate.
    I just don't believe in this Naturally Skinny thing either. If you eat 1000's of calories without doing any kind of exercise and spending most of your time on the couch, you WILL put weight on. No matter who you are!
    For me, Exercise is vital.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    It can tough to find your place in everything, to feel like you're in the right place. Why are they thin? I'm guessing a lot of various reasons but mostly, I bet they've just found what works for them.

Don't give up! Good luck!
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Thanks for sharing this!

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    malioumba wrote: »
    I understand we all have different body shapes, and genetics, but some females are so thin (think Audrey Hepburn thin), and it just amazes me how everything just... fits in there.
    I mean is that sort of thinness really genetics or is it a very well-kept diet? By diet - I just mean consumption of food. I don't mean dieting. It just amazes me how small some people are. Do you think they work to retain that very thin frame, or it's a little of both; genetics and healthy diet?

Some people just naturally eat the right amount of calories for their activity level. They may be much more active than you or prefer lower calorie foods. They are not really eating like crazy and not gaining weight.

It's frustrating to work to lose weight, when there are people with that very skinny frame. I live in the city with the lowest obesity rate in Canada (and 2nd in all North America apparently, I read Colorado, USA is the 1st) - either way, it's in the lower end of North America and although I'm not obese, I know that my city is composed of mostly very thin and fit females. A large quantity of average thinness (12-15% body fat) and Audrey Hepburn/Taylor Swift thinness, so it can be very easy to feel defeated knowing that your BEST....will always just barely be average...at best.

You could move to someplace with fatter people if it bothers you so much.
    Even if someone looks a certain way it doesn't mean that they are happy with their appearance, size, or fitness level at all. It doesn't mean that they are nicer, smarter, more talented, more generous, funnier, work harder, are better in bed or are more loved than someone who has more body fat. Their appearance is one tiny aspect of who they are and it isn't the most important one.

Stop comparing to others. Be the best for you. Look at all the great things about yourself. Be healthy and comfortable. Your value as a human being is not your size.
    I guess that's where accepting one will never be Hepburn skinny/beautiful comes in and one just...deals?
    I think it is beautiful that we are all different sizes, shapes, skin colors, with big noses, wrinkles, freckles, curly hair or full cheeks. So yes, find a way to deal with what you are.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different.