not getting enough protien. ..

Options
2»

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    im not here to argue with how much protien I need , im here for food suggestions for higher protien...

If you want to read more than you'd ever want to know about different sources of protein, Lyle McDonald has a great series of articles on the topic which start here (click the links at the bottom of each article to go to the next one).
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    ngagne wrote: »
    I have a similar protein goal - and can hit it and my 1611 cal goal. my typical proteins are: protein powder post workout (30g), eggs for breakfast (12g), cottage cheese (12g)/Siggi yogurt (14g)/beef jerky (1/2 bag = 120 cal & 20g protein) for snacks throughout the day, tuna/tilapia/shrimp/leftovers (try to hit 30g or more for lunch), and then whatever I want for supper - steak/fish/chicken/ground beef/pork (if whatever else I ate can handle the extra fat that comes with pork). Tilapia is really my favorite 'go-to meal' if I need to get extra protein as, in my opinion, it has a lot of protein & naturally low fat. My usual meal protein (except breakfast) is 30-40g, which is usually about a 5-8oz portion of meat, depending what meat you're eating. -and if you weigh food, I think, that size portion of meat is pretty much what most people think is a 'normal' portion.

Great mention that is often overlooked, that being the Talapia. Very lean, protein about equal to chicken, and easy to cook quick. Pork loins are great too, since they are easy to cook in large portions and are tasty in a lot of forms.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    robertw486 wrote: »
    Great mention that is often overlooked, that being the Talapia. Very lean, protein about equal to chicken, and easy to cook quick. Pork loins are great too, since they are easy to cook in large portions and are tasty in a lot of forms.

Tilapia is indeed all that (and also very low in mercury since most of it is farm raised and fed vegetarian diets), but it's probably my least favorite fish. I find it almost flavorless and don't like the texture, it's kind of mushy. If I'm going to eat fish, I'd prefer a nice filet of salmon (my favorite), tuna, or yellowtail. Even better yet - sashimi (although that can become a very expensive habit in a big hurry!).

Yes to pork loin also - very lean and lots of good ways to cook them.
  • Oscar8890
    Oscar8890 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Try tilapia high in protein low in fat, or tuna, protein shakes, quest bars all worked for me
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I love fish so i will totally add tilapia to a meal!
  • MtnGirl38
    MtnGirl38 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I saw the idea somewhere on here about mixing protein powder into my yogurt. I've been using Quest Vanilla Milkshake, Fage 0% and then adding berries. It's almost like a pudding, delicious!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    if you're going over your calories when you hit your protein targets, that means you're going over on one or more of your other macros...adjust your diet accordingly.

i eat a lot of cod, salmon, chicken, lean cuts of beef and pork, eggs, etc. i have some kind of protein at every meal.

beans are great and they are a mainstay of my diet, but i would consider them to be more of a carbohydrate source than a really great source of protein. I eat a lot of beans, lentils, quinoa, etc...but they are my primary sources of carbohydrates with the added benefit of additional protein.
  • this_is_me_at
    this_is_me_at Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I struggle with getting enough protein, it seams if I do reach my goal which is 125 grams (sometimes more depending on my exercises that day) then I go over on my calories! I do protien powder twice a day, beans, chicken, eggs ect. Any suggestions? Maybe double my protien powder although I already have 2 serves per day...it seams to be the lowest calorie option.
    Thanks!

I keep protein pack snacks in the fridge; cottage cheese, turkey cold cuts, Greek yogurt, these are all low in carb, fat, calories and are high in protein
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,444 Member
    Options
    This may be a minor contribution, but it's a contribution: Once you have your "big" protein sources locked in, consider the things that you eat that are moderately high in calories, but have no protein. Are there alternatives to those that are equally tasty & satisfying, but have more protein?

For example, quinoa instead of rice, vegetables with a bit of protein (green peas, broccoli, spinach, etc.) rather than veggies with none, etc.

As a vegetarian, I think about my diet overall this way, and it's surprising how much protein accumulates over the day a gram or two or five at a time. These proteins tend to be lower-quality (less complete in essential amino acids), but when you have a variety of them those balance out a bit, and they do make a contribution.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    This may be a minor contribution, but it's a contribution: Once you have your "big" protein sources locked in, consider the things that you eat that are moderately high in calories, but have no protein. Are there alternatives to those that are equally tasty & satisfying, but have more protein?

For example, quinoa instead of rice, vegetables with a bit of protein (green peas, broccoli, spinach, etc.) rather than veggies with none, etc.

As a vegetarian, I think about my diet overall this way, and it's surprising how much protein accumulates over the day a gram or two or five at a time. These proteins tend to be lower-quality (less complete in essential amino acids), but when you have a variety of them those balance out a bit, and they do make a contribution.
    Thanks for the tip! I was actually a vegetarian for 2 years so I am not big on meat.
  • Kait_Dee
    Kait_Dee Posts: 175 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I have a great recipe that I use for protein cake at the end of the day sometimes. (I'm a competitive bodybuilder with a coach that has a nutritional science degree from an accredited university... I happily consume 150g pro a day!)

I make multiple variations of this cake, depending on what type of extract I use and how many macros I have left to use at the end of the day. Sometimes I use maple, others I use banana and a lot of times I use rum. I mainly stick to vanilla tho. I'll also toss shredded coconut on it when it's done, cinnamon or on the special occasion, 1tbsp low sugar cherry pie filling and low fat whippin cream to make it into a Black Forest cake!

Ingredients:
  • Kait_Dee
    Kait_Dee Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Gah. Ingredients and instructions were lost!

- 1 scoop of protein of choice (I love Magnum chocolate!)
    - 1/2tsp baking powder
    - 1/2tbsp Cocoa
    - 1/2tbsp chocolate chips (instant lava cake!)
    - 1/2tsp vanilla extract (or whatever one you like)
    - 3-5 drops of liquid stevia (or 1tsp powdered)
    - 1/4c *cold* water
    - Toppings as you like.

Instructions:
    - Mix together the dry
    - Blend in the wet
    - Microwave for 30-32 seconds on high (watch it!)
    - Let cool/settle
    - Microwave for 6 more seconds
    - Top with your desired goodies
    - Devour!! :)
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I struggle with getting enough protein, it seams if I do reach my goal which is 125 grams (sometimes more depending on my exercises that day) then I go over on my calories! I do protien powder twice a day, beans, chicken, eggs ect. Any suggestions? Maybe double my protien powder although I already have 2 serves per day...it seams to be the lowest calorie option.
    Thanks!

I keep protein pack snacks in the fridge; cottage cheese, turkey cold cuts, Greek yogurt, these are all low in carb, fat, calories and are high in protein

The great thing about the dairy items is that you can buy them in various forms with more or less fat/sugar as well. Similar to milk, and then that way you can get the protein and whatever other macro you might be lacking, and avoid the ones you don't need.

AnnPT77 wrote: »

I've just recently started trying to do this. Fill the protein dead items with items that have at least some protein. And it does seem to really help, as well as spread out protein intake though the day better.