This is a plus size model? What is the world coming to?

TheBeachgod
TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
edited November 2015 in Motivation and Support
I saw this article today fashionista.com/2015/02/robyn-lawley-interview-plus-size-sports-illustrated-pregnant and cannot believe she'd be considered a plus size model. Someone in the comment section mentioned a swimwear site with "minus size" models and I looked at it as well and all I saw were fit-looking young ladies. A few were a little slender but nothing I'd consider unhealthy.

When did people within an apparently healthy weight and BMI range become plus or minus sized? I'm not trying to make this a put labels on people thread, more curious as to why/when/how did society's (or is it just the media'sSmileyHmm.gif) views on aesthetics become so skewed? I'm not articulating this as well as I'd like. I just woke up and this was the first thing I saw and I'm dumbstruck.

Here's the lady from the article, modelling her own Plus Size bikini. She's pregnant in this photo, too (first trimester but still.)

Robyn-Lawley-SI-Swimsuit-2015-08-662x968.jpg

If she is plus sized then send me a dozen.

Replies

• Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    She looks normal to me, fab shapes, great body but not plus sized
  • TheBeachgod
    edited November 2015
    whew. Faith in society in general restored. Many of the comments are excellent but would be nsfw on mfp so I'll post the link but it is another photo of Robyn Lawley posted in Cosmo and they referred to her as plus sized. imgur.com/gallery/xZn7S4F

I had no idea she's 6'2"! rzu3608eu4wj.gifSome people are saying she's considered plus sized because of her height. I'd just say she's tall.

I'm also drifting off topic in my own thread. The focus isn't on her only, more how screwed up things are when healthy looking people are considered plus or minus size vs back in the day when anorexic coked out runway models were considered ideal examples of beauty.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,984 Member
    She's magnificent.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    She's magnificent.

+1
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    My understanding is that a 'plus-size' model is just someone bigger than the usual size 4 or whatever, as that would make them larger/heavier than the typical runway model. Next to an average non-model woman, she would still look very slim probably.
    So different to 'plus-size' clothing shops which (in the UK at least) tend to stock size 18+. I think there's sort of two different categories (for want of a better word) which both have had the term plus size attached to them.
    Models and size labels have very little bearing on everyday life, so I kind of think it's best to let all the madness wash over you.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    I guess I'm aiming for a plus size then!
  • norcogrrl
    norcogrrl Posts: 129 Member
    edited November 2015
    She is a plus sized model because of her dress size. All that means is that regular sample sizes (2/4/6) won't fit her. Robyn is a size 12, which puts her in the "plus" (12/14) sample sizes. Note that 8/10 samples don't generally exist.

"Plus" isn't derogatory. It doesn't mean she's fat or unattractive. It jut means she's a size 12.
  • sirredllama
    sirredllama Posts: 2 Member
    I'm not defending the fashion industry in any shape or form but these models are much taller than the average woman and would have wider hips and bust sizes. I don't think it's meant to be some form of ascribing a label but it makes it easier when shopping because I know I wear +size bikini bottoms and S bikini tops. Also easier for the retailer to make suggestions when she seems my shape. Don't let it get to you too much, vanity sizing and the fashion industry is VERY unhealthy to grow attachments to as they change all the time.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    plus size is great.
  • bjess8411
    bjess8411 Posts: 68 Member
    I'm not defending the fashion industry in any shape or form but these models are much taller than the average woman and would have wider hips and bust sizes. I don't think it's meant to be some form of ascribing a label but it makes it easier when shopping because I know I wear +size bikini bottoms and S bikini tops. Also easier for the retailer to make suggestions when she seems my shape. Don't let it get to you too much, vanity sizing and the fashion industry is VERY unhealthy to grow attachments to as they change all the time.

Yes, I have known people like this. They wear a 12 but it doesn't fit well because they are not fat and just have wide hips.
  • Carnhot
    Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    I wear a UK 12 (now). I am not fat (now).
  • sockinette
    sockinette Posts: 6 Member
    @Carnhot

1. No one said she is fat.
    2. She is wearing a US 12, which is a UK 16. In model world, plus size is US 12 to 14, or UK 16 to 18. She is plus sized.

@everyone else
    Stop being so butt hurt over someone's label. She's obviously not offended that she is a plus sized model, so why are you offended? Besides, if you're 5'1" and wearing a US 12, then yes, you're obese. If you're 5'6" and wearing a US 12, you're overweight. Your height matters.
  • Therealobi1
    sockinette wrote: »
    @Carnhot

2. She is wearing a US 12, which is a UK 16. In model world, plus size is US 12 to 14, or UK 16 to 18. She is plus sized.

@everyone else
    Stop being so butt hurt over someone's label. She's obviously not offended that she is a plus sized model, so why are you offended? Besides, if you're 5'1" and wearing a US 12, then yes, you're obese. If you're 5'6" and wearing a US 12, you're overweight. Your height matters.

Didn't see any one offended
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    @Carnhot

@everyone else

5'6 in a US12/UK8 would not be over weight
  • sockinette
    sockinette Posts: 6 Member
    @Carnhot

@everyone else

Are you serious? I'm 5'7" and US 12 and guess what, I'm 15 lbs over weight. I am DAMN SURE that 5'6" and US 12 is overweight.

@Carnhot

@everyone else

OP was offended, which is why this thread was made.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    @Carnhot

@everyone else

I thought a US12 was a UK16? Which is why their size 0 is our size 4?

I might be being thick here, so I'd love to be corrected if I have been getting this conversion wrong for years.
  • TheBeachgod
    edited November 2015
    OP here. I was not offended at all. Why would I be? Those who read my OP should've noted I was trying to start a conversation about why/when/how did standards change so much, which didn't go so well. "Heroin chic" CK models and anorexics used to be considered runway and billboard worthy, now someone who in my opinion is a fit goddess is considered plus size, which I thought was a derogatory term since that also is put on Tess Holliday for example and I figured plus size was a nice way of saying obese. Robyn Lawley is no where near as "plus size" as her. It seems like if someone isn't skin and bones they are considered plus size and I think that is really screwed up but I may have misunderstood the terminology and made a bogus thread. No biggie. It doesn't personally affect me one way or the other.

nevermind.jpg

• TonnnnUK
    TonnnnUK Posts: 132 Member
    I think I love her <3:D
  • Therealobi1
    @Carnhot

@everyone else

Are you serious? I'm 5'7" and US 12 and guess what, I'm 15 lbs over weight. I am DAMN SURE that 5'6" and US 12 is overweight.

@Carnhot

@everyone else

OP was offended, which is why this thread was made.

i guess we are reading two different threads.