Sites for teenagers?

Options
could anyone please tell me if there are any sites like this that are suitable for a sixteen year old that wants to bulk up his muscle. I don't want any sites that recommend the use of shakes etc. just all natural please :)

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    sparkteens
  • GillianSmith2
    GillianSmith2 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    sparkteens

thank you :)
  • GlenzioFitness
    GlenzioFitness Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    No shakes because he wants to keep natural :D Haha
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Sparkteens. You could also ask one of the coaches or gym teachers at school.

Good luck. :)
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Mosy of whom know absolutely nothing about nutrition and are likely to just repeat myths they have heard.

They would be better off making an appt with a pediatric dietitian.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Mosy of whom know absolutely nothing about nutrition and are likely to just repeat myths they have heard.

Because pediatric dietitians have so much more experience teaching kids how to lift weights safely?

• GillianSmith2
    Options

whats that supposed to mean???
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options

I was thinkin the same thing lol....
  • pinggolfer96
    Options

protein shakes are natural. They're concentrated forms of proteins from either animals, plants, or grains. Nothing unnatural about them. Just an easy/ convenient way to get in protein. Especially if you have trouble hitting your protein goals for the day. 20 grams of protein from a shake vs 20 grams from chicken is still 20 grams of protein.
  • GillianSmith2
    Options

I was thinkin the same thing lol....

so come on then why is this so funny??
  • GillianSmith2
    Options

protein shakes are natural. They're concentrated forms of proteins from either animals, plants, or grains. Nothing unnatural about them. Just an easy/ convenient way to get in protein. Especially if you have trouble hitting your protein goals for the day. 20 grams of protein from a shake vs 20 grams from chicken is still 20 grams of protein.

so why not just put that in the first place in stead of trying to be a smart *kitten* !!!
  • pinggolfer96
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I wasn't being a smart a**. I just said I was thinking the same thing then helped you out by explaining why a shake is natural. I apologize if you were offended. But especially at your age, you shouldn't even be worried about supplements. Just eat big and lift heavy. Take advantage of your hormones and metabolism.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Because pediatric dietitians have so much more experience teaching kids how to lift weights safely?

Teaching them how to lift, no, but yes they have much more knowledge about nutrition than your standard coach who usually has taken no courses in nutrition.
  • GillianSmith2
    Options
    If you have a look it wasnt a question for myself, as is said "his muscles". Its for my teenage son. I have no idea on what to advise him. but i also dont want him taking things he shouldnt be. so any GOOD advise or GOOD sites would be welcome. thank you
  • siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    If you have a look it wasnt a question for myself, as is said "his muscles". Its for my teenage son. I have no idea on what to advise him. but i also dont want him taking things he shouldnt be. so any GOOD advise or GOOD sites would be welcome. thank you

http://examine.com/supplements/
    If you want to know more about supplements and which ones would be safe for your son if he is interested in any, this is a good site which collects research about them.
  • siluridae
    siluridae Posts: 188 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    double post
  • GillianSmith2
    Options
    siluridae wrote: »
    double post

thank you, i will take a look :)
  • Kalikel
    Options
    Oops. Sorry.

Tell your son to ask a coach or gym teacher. They should be able to help him.

As far as nutrition goes, I assume you take him to the doctor every year for a physical. Next time you're there, ask for a referral to a dietitian. They can explain what you need and what your son needs. You could even let him go see one, if he wants to go. :) If he's really gung-Ho and wants to do this now, call a dietitian and make an appointment. :)

Don't let him swallow any pills or supplements. Don't let him get nutrition advice from bodybuilders. Seek out people who are qualified to advise him. What he learns now may carry him for life! You want him to get GOOD advice.

Good luck to you both! :)
  • GillianSmith2
    Options
    Oops. Sorry.

Tell your son to ask a coach or gym teacher. They should be able to help him.

As far as nutrition goes, I assume you take him to the doctor every year for a physical. Next time you're there, ask for a referral to a dietitian. They can explain what you need and what your son needs. You could even let him go see one, if he wants to go. :) If he's really gung-Ho and wants to do this now, call a dietitian and make an appointment. :)

Don't let him swallow any pills or supplements. Don't let him get nutrition advice from bodybuilders. Seek out people who are qualified to advise him. What he learns now may carry him for life! You want him to get GOOD advice.

Good luck to you both! :)

Thank you for your advise, ( "Don't let him swallow any pills or supplements. Don't let him get nutrition advice from bodybuilders"). This is the reason im trying to get all the information i can. where we are from we cant just book appointments to see dietitians or even have yearly check ups. and there are so many gyms which i refer to as "meat head" gyms, that i dont want him getting mixed up with.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Well, protein shakes should be fine. Protein powder is basically just whey or casein from milk that's been isolated from the rest of the milk so you get concentrated protein without the sugars or fats you'd get if you had milk or cheese directly.

I understand why you wouldn't want your son taking other kinds of supplements, though - a lot of those are things like various herbal stimulants that may or may not be healthy.