when do people start to notice???

Options
Just wondering when everyone started getting comments from people noticing your weight loss. I have lost 19 pounds so far and have had maybe two people notice. I would think since I lost a toddler at this point that someone would notice but not so much! Ergh, getting frustrated!!

Replies

• LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I soooo feel that. I'm trying to lose 75 lbs. and have lost 30 (although I gained 30 over the past couple of years... so I guess I'm only where I was two years ago) and no one really says anything. It's kind of annoying!
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Yeah..me too. I'm hoping that perhaps they notice and just aren't commenting. Maybe they are jealous.!!:huh:
  • peterscr7
    peterscr7 Posts: 13
    Options
    I think it depends on your size, but beyond that I think people are wary of saying anything when it's so new. But... I had the same frustrations. Just remember, you're doing this for you and if you're happy, that 's the most important thing. Eventually, people will realize how far you've come and that you're not going back. When they do, they'll start staying things. Keep you're chin up! You'll get there!
  • MarieRich
    MarieRich Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I never say anything to people when I notice they are losing. It is a compliment to notice someone's weight loss, but I don't want to be one to make a big deal out of it. I don't need others to comment on my weight loss either. I am doing it for me.
  • Melissajojo3
    Melissajojo3 Posts: 100
    Options
    Trust me, a lot of people notice it right away but some either don't make a big deal like my ***SISTER*** or some just are jealous that you are looking better than them. My best friend always tells me how good I am looking and my sister has not once told me anything about me losing weight. She is way bigger than me and I always support her but she has obviously never supported me :( .. If u don't get people to notice your weight loss, don't mind them, just keep doing what your doing and as long as you notice it in your clothes and inches :) good luck
  • CrimsonHellkite
    Options
    its different for everyone, people carry weight differently, while compliments are nice, whats most important is if you feel better and feel better about yourself!
  • jennywrens
    jennywrens Posts: 208
    Options
    I've lost 33lbs and so far only people who know I'm consciously losing weight have said anything!! I think people notice, I just think they're nervous to say anything about weight to anyone incase it comes out wrong and offends!!
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Took me 63 pounds lost to get noticed. Then I started with 165 lbs. to lose.
  • greeneyedellen
    greeneyedellen Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people are sensitive to mentioning weight, especially to women. I lost a fair amount of weight 2 years ago and people really started noticing for me around 40-50 pounds (crazy, right?). I also think how you carry yourself makes a big difference. I just felt so much better, that I think people actually noticed the difference in me, as opposed to just the weight loss. Just keep up the great work!
  • greeneyedellen
    greeneyedellen Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people are sensitive to mentioning weight, especially to women. I lost a fair amount of weight 2 years ago and people really started noticing for me around 40-50 pounds (crazy, right?). I also think how you carry yourself makes a big difference. I just felt so much better, that I think people actually noticed the difference in me, as opposed to just the weight loss. Just keep up the great work!
  • ksharon22
    ksharon22 Posts: 111
    Options
    Hang in there! People will notice and say something! YOU know and your clothes fit better and you feel better....

I had someone I know who noticed but didn't say anything to me because she thought I was sick or something and that was why I was losing weight. She said something to a friend of mine who told me that they had noticed and relayed this story to me!

Love your reference to "losing a toddler"! That made me chuckle!

Good luck and keep it up!
  • grammymelPolly
    Options
    I have found that lots of people won't say anything because they are jealous. They ready to talk about your dress, hair or anything but your weight. You doing what most of them would like to be doing, but don't want to work at it.
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    i lost it so fast, i didnt get compliments, i got "are you sick???" :(
  • sbpeters93
    sbpeters93 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Here's my take - Good friends will comment but casual everyday people will not. Especially co-workers. I work in an office with 7 other woman and 1 man. Bottom line, woman are catty (spelling???). They will comment to each other, but not to your face. I learned not to let it bother me. I just keep wearing my new, smaller size outfits and smile!
  • mardavlais
    mardavlais Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    For my friends (who I told I was dieting), they noticed before I lost even 1 lb. heh. :) For those I didn't tell, they noticed at 20 lbs.
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    I've only lost about 5 lbs, but my husband swears that he has noticed the difference. I think it depends on where and how you carry your weight. I'm doing a lot of exercise so I'm getting a more toned, lean look even if the actual pounds coming off are few.

My mother commented on how great I looked after I lost ten lbs once.

I think it just depends on how close you are to the people in question (closer people are more likely to compliment you; acquaintances might be unsure if you've really lost weight because they don't see you as often, and they don't want to say something potentially offensive--to imply that you were fat to begin with.
  • moniquenatalie
    Options
    Around the 10 lb mark is when I usually start getting the "are you losing weight?" questions. I guess that's where it starts to become noticeable for me.
  • MColette
    MColette Posts: 62
    Options
    When I was losing weight after my second pregnancy nobody will say anything! But I did notice the difference in my clothes!
    Until one day, the least expected person (my father in law) told me that I looked like I've been working out very hard, cause I looked great!
    And he never talks to me very much lol
    Just hang in there, and you'll see how everybody not just one or 2 persons will notice :)
  • neonpink
    neonpink Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    After I hit about 50lbs lost the comments came all the time, literally a few a day. My collegue at work came up to me saying 'I dont want to be rude but have you lost weight ?' after she realised I wouldnt take offence she said she had noticed a long time ago but hadn't wanted to mention it, a lot of people have said this to me. So I think people just bite their tongue until they see others asking about the loss or until the difference is so big that they just have to say something !!
  • knewbill72
    knewbill72 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I can understand! I carry weight pretty evenly dispersed throughout my body so when is was 242 lbs. people really didn't believe me.

It seems once I hit the 25 lb. mark my friends did start to take notice. More specifically due to my inches lost not necessarily weight. When people see it in your face that's when they make note I think.