Why am I not losing weight?

Options
Hey everyone,

So I lost about 50kg of weights about 1.5 years ago then I've maintained that weight for a year just so my body tighten and used to the new routine. And so recently I decided to lose the remaining 15kg of weight. But it hasn't been great.

I'm really frustrated by the scale lately. I've been working on my weight for the past two weeks and the scale did not move. I however did notice that I'm getting slimmer as my shirts and jeans are getting looser.

What I've been doing is 30 min running (5k) or 60 min walking (5k) followed by skipping rope for 15 minutes, plus I walk about a mile a day to my uni. So about 500 calories from that alone.
As for my intakes, I do 150 ml milk + 50g strawberry + half of a banana shakes in the morning, and usually followed by 100g milk + 30g cereal. Then I have anything I want for lunch as long as they are healthy. Then at night, I drink the same shake as in the morning. Never felt hungry as I space them quite good, 8AM breakfast, 1PM Lunch, dinner 7:30PM. Usually followed by tea after dinner to accompany me while I'm studying.

Is there a routine you guys would recommend before weighing yourself on a scale? Maybe a way to extract the water weight out of your body and so you're left with your actual body weight?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Weight loss has much more to do with what you're eating than your activity. Eating "healthy" choices isn't going to create weight loss unless you are also in a deficit. Do you know how many calories you are eating each day?

Water weight is part of our actual body weight. Extracting water from your body isn't going to give you the results that you want.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents is get into the routine of weighing all the food you ingest so you have an accurate CI count.

I agree with @janejellyroll that worrying about how much weight in water your body holds is a mute point and you will drive yourself nuts trying to work it out as it fluctuates all the time.

Great job on maintaining the 50 kg loss....just get your logging under control and set your stats up with MFP with a sensible deficit, eat the foods you enjoy in moderation keep getting in your exercise for your health and be patient.

All the best.
  • soonillbehot
    soonillbehot Posts: 26 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Weight loss has much more to do with what you're eating than your activity. Eating "healthy" choices isn't going to create weight loss unless you are also in a deficit. Do you know how many calories you are eating each day?

Water weight is part of our actual body weight. Extracting water from your body isn't going to give you the results that you want.

The smoothies is about 125 for each serving, so two a day means 250 calories. Then the cereal is about 150 calories. My lunch is always healthy. I always keep it below 900 calories. So about 1300 calorie a day? My lunch is usually falafel wrap/halloumi wrap, and I have that for 3 days out of a week. for the rest of the week I usually cook myself a meal.
    My 2 cents is get into the routine of weighing all the food you ingest so you have an accurate CI count.

I agree with @janejellyroll that worrying about how much weight in water your body holds is a mute point and you will drive yourself nuts trying to work it out as it fluctuates all the time.

Great job on maintaining the 50 kg loss....just get your logging under control and set your stats up with MFP with a sensible deficit, eat the foods you enjoy in moderation keep getting in your exercise for your health and be patient.

All the best.

I do weigh my meal whenever I cook. Another thing I would like to point out is my weight after a large meal is always increased by a large amount. And this is really frustrating.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

The smoothies is about 125 for each serving, so two a day means 250 calories. Then the cereal is about 150 calories. My lunch is always healthy. I always keep it below 900 calories. So about 1300 calorie a day? My lunch is usually falafel wrap/halloumi wrap, and I have that for 3 days out of a week. for the rest of the week I usually cook myself a meal.

All the best.

I do weigh my meal whenever I cook. Another thing I would like to point out is my weight after a large meal is always increased by a large amount. And this is really frustrating.

Define "increased by a large amount".
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

The smoothies is about 125 for each serving, so two a day means 250 calories. Then the cereal is about 150 calories. My lunch is always healthy. I always keep it below 900 calories. So about 1300 calorie a day? As for the rest of the week I usually cooked myself a meal.

All the best.

Your weight is always going to increase after adding food to your body. The food you eat has weight -- eating large amounts of food is going to increase your weight while your body processes the food. Usually when people are failing to lose weight when they are hitting their calorie goals, logging is a potential issue. Since you're weighing everything that you eat, are you sure you have the right database entries? If you open your diary, you may get some better advice.

Two weeks is early to conclude that your plan isn't working though. Your body could be reacting to the increased exercise and holding on to water in your muscles. This will drop as your body gets used to the workouts.

Also, I just noticed you're a man. You need more than 1,300 calories for health -- especially if you're also working out.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

The smoothies is about 125 for each serving, so two a day means 250 calories. Then the cereal is about 150 calories. My lunch is always healthy. I always keep it below 900 calories. So about 1300 calorie a day? My lunch is usually falafel wrap/halloumi wrap, and I have that for 3 days out of a week. for the rest of the week I usually cooked myself a meal.

All the best.

Of course your weight goes up after a large meal. You're weighing the food and drink in your stomach as well as the rest of your body. If you're bothered by fluctuations like that, you need to weigh yourself under the same conditions. First thing in the morning, after you go to the bathroom and before you eat or drink, and with the same clothes or lack of clothes. You'll still see fluctuations because our bodies are complex systems that are busy doing things, but they'll be smaller fluctuations.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options