Squash....

Options
TonnnnUK
TonnnnUK Posts: 132 Member
I bought 2 errr squashes? (Butternut squash to us Brits) and have no idea what to use them for!! They seemed like a good healthy thing and ended up in the shopping trolley.

I got them a few weeks ago now so they might be off, but I may buy some more if I have some good ideas for them.

I am aware you can make a soup with them. But I am not so sure I'd wanna do that as I don't eat a lot of soup. Plus I need to try them first to know if I like them.

So what should I do with them? I believed they might be a good accompaniment to a meat dish, similar to sweet potato.

Shoot!

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• cilleriania
    cilleriania Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't use any of these recipes as is, usually cut down on the oils / sugary things but some ideas:

Great as the main ingredient in a curry.

I love them roasted in salads:
    http://www.spoonfulofflavor.com/2015/09/14/fall-mason-jar-salad-with-maple-balsamic-dressing/
    http://withsaltandwit.com/butternut-squash-quinoa-salad-with-goat-cheese-and-roasted-grapes/

Or roasted as a layer in a lasagne or with other veggies and tossed with pasta, feta, chicken and herbs.

Or in soup:
    Roasted pumpkin
    http://hostthetoast.com/thai-coconut-curry-butternut-squash-soup/

• angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    They keep for ages, I'm sure they won't have gone off!
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I usually peel and chop, then add a tablespoon of melted butter and a tablespoon of brown sugar and a sprinkle of salt. Roast in a hot oven for about 45 min. turn over 1/2 way. So very good.

I have a friend who used them in a mac n cheese recipe and it was wonderful. You can also add some leftover cooked squash to chili..

Not sure how large the squash is, but once it's peeled and chopped, you can pop it in a bag, freeze it and cook it later. I bought several on sale and now it's ready to go.

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Chopped, olive oil, salt and pepper maybe a bit of sage or thyme and roast. Delicious!
  • crperry1
    crperry1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The easiest way is to cut the thing in half lengthwise, scoop out all the seeds and pulp, put flat side down on a baking sheet with a little water (enough to cover the bottom but not go over) roast at about 375f for about 25 mins and then poke with a fork, once they start getting soft flip them over and season. Usually takes between 35 mins to an hour, just depends but they are done when pretty soft.. My daughter likes hers with butter, salt, brown sugar. I stick to a tiny bit of olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic, thyme :) I personally have never been successful peeling them, very hard to do! In the US it's easy to buy it already chopped and then you could do any of the things above. Also, I actually prefer acorn squash, if you find one of those, try it, prepared just the same.

• TonnnnUK
    Options
    Thank you guys for responses so far. Some useful ideas and suggestions.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    TonnnnUK wrote: »
    I bought 2 errr squashes? (Butternut squash to us Brits) and have no idea what to use them for!! They seemed like a good healthy thing and ended up in the shopping trolley.

I got them a few weeks ago now so they might be off, but I may buy some more if I have some good ideas for them.

I am aware you can make a soup with them. But I am not so sure I'd wanna do that as I don't eat a lot of soup. Plus I need to try them first to know if I like them.

So what should I do with them? I believed they might be a good accompaniment to a meat dish, similar to sweet potato.

Shoot!

Thanks in advance.

I used to hate squash but now I love it

They make great chips ...cut into chip shape, sprinkle with salt and pepper and some olive oil / spray oil and mix them round so they are coated..whack em in a hot oven for 40 minutes, turning occasionally...you want them to get slightly blackened ..

Also I chop them up and add them to stews and casseroles...like an all vegetable meditteranean style or a chicken cacciatore dish...they add substance for little calories

Some people like to just cut them in half drizzle with oil and salt and pepper and bake and then you can scoop and mash or just eat...people say the skin is edible but I don't like it personally
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Squash holds for a long time. I always buy quite a few from farmers in the fall and they usually last me until Feb/Mar in a dark, dry and cool spot.

Tonight I made Chicken / Potato / Squash Stroganoff. Very easy and very yummy

Serves four / around 400cals

400g Chicken breast cut into 2cm pieces
    fry in 5g oil and put aside

Sautee 2 chopped onions, 1 garlic clove and 5g red chili pepoer in 5g oil
    Add
    400g Squash (chopped into 2cm pieces)
    400g Potato (chopped into 2cm pieces)
    and stirfry for a few minutes
    Add 2dl of broth and 1tbsp of chili spice (merquen for example)
    Simmer in closed pan for 15min

Add chicken pieces and simmer slightly for another 5min

Serve with some sour cream

original recipe was with sweet potatos. As I didn't have them at home, I used normal firm cooking potatos.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Awesome for pumpkin soup too. I usually add onions, squash, a couple of potatos and a few carrots. Spice anyway you like. I often use indian curry or thai curry. If I go thai - I add a stick of lemon grass, fresh ginger root and cilantro. If the cals don't matter too much, I add coconut milk too.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    http://lickmyspoon.com/recipes/healthy-butternut-squash-soup/

Delicious! Got to make more actually...
  • TonnnnUK
    Options
    Thanks to those who have since posted some more!

Love the idea of adding them into a stew and for chips.

Great tips, thanks all.
  • LisaRyer
    LisaRyer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Not fancy but they can be prepared like mashed potatoes. Peel, cut in chunks, boil until very soft. Drain water. Mash with butter and other seasonings to taste. A little brown sugar in the mash is nice too.
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    Could cut some into chunks, boil for a few mins so they're still chunks but softer (not mushy), then add to a pizza base along with tomato puree, seasoning, cheese and whatever other toppings you like. I use a wholemeal pitta bread per person instead of pizza base, we like the taste and they're easier to store in the freezer.
  • steuartcj
    steuartcj Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Try adding some smoked Turkey ham in the soup. Google is your friend..
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I put roasted butternut squash in my turkey and black bean chili...its a nice addition to chili!
  • lalaconz
    lalaconz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I always make squash. It's my go to now for a substitute for noodles. Just cut it in half, scoop out the guts and stringy bits, wrap it in paper towel, and microwave for about 10 mins depending on size. It'll be really hot when it's done so wear oven mitts. Then cover it in whatever you want! Meat sauce, roast chicken and salsa, pesto, black beans... The sky's the limit.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been roasting them after costing them with sugar free maple syrup, cinnamon, and salt. Then in the oven at 425 for 30-45 mins.
  • TonnnnUK
    Options
    Brilliant, thanks for all these suggestions.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    I also use it to make a most delicious squash risotto.