Triathlon Training - suggestions?

Options
I searched the threads a bit, but not sure where to start. I'm going to do a sprint triathlon in August. I have several years experience with running. I've done multiple distances up to a half marathon. I'm an okay cyclist, but I have not done a run/bike combo. I'm a weak swimmer. I'm going to hire someone to give me some training on swimming.

Is there anything else I should consider in regards to training? I have been looking at plans, and a lot of them start you out with bike one day, swim one day, run one day. They don't start combining until further into plans. If I am already established as a runner, do I need to keep days separate, or can I start playing with combining cycling, and running etc?

Any thoughts you have are welcome.

Replies

• gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/trainingplans-list.asp

Some ideas, though usually 16-24 weeks out is when they start. You can still do bike and swim workouts over the winter but not much point in combing unless it's convenient (I used to swim then run at the track since same building and I was already changed). If you can, bike workout in the morning then a run at lunch or evening is fine - doing one after the other is a brick and not needed in pre-season unless you really want to.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Well done for signing up! I did one last year and very glad I did. My swimming was very much my weakest. I'd second looking on beginner triathlete - lots of good advice and support for all abilities.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Slowtwitch.com
    AtlantaTriathlonClub
    Triathlete.com
    TriRig.com

Beginner Tri is awesome

Lots of Tri forums

• lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    gdyment wrote: »
    http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/trainingplans-list.asp

Some ideas, though usually 16-24 weeks out is when they start. You can still do bike and swim workouts over the winter but not much point in combing unless it's convenient (I used to swim then run at the track since same building and I was already changed). If you can, bike workout in the morning then a run at lunch or evening is fine - doing one after the other is a brick and not needed in pre-season unless you really want to.

Good to know I can combine them. I can go overboard, so sometimes I over think these things. I've looked a bit on that site, it seems like it would probably be worth the membership if I wanted more than the free plans. Thank you!
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I pay for the silver plan (I think bronze would be fine until going half/full IM or wanting more advanced plans), and still think it's one of the best places to log the actual workouts - it syncs with my phone calendar so I know what runs/bikes are scheduled. Syncs with garmin connect - same as fitnesspal. Forums are not as busy as they used to be but sometimes that's a good thing.
  • rbakedq
    rbakedq Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give regarding swimming is get involved in a masters swim program. A good c coach will help you with your form, which is a significant part of efficient swimming.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    A good rule of thumb is to practice your weakest sport 3 times a week and you best at least once. The middle one twice. Work in brick workouts into training. When you feel comfortable you can stucture it more.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Swimming is my kryptonite hence I don't tri , I du..... but I digress...swim, swim & swim some more. You also want to incorporate some bricks too, the first time you run off the bike it's almost comical - your legs may feel rubbery - but practice makes perfect. Speaking of practice, rehearse your transitions, lay out your gear the same way every time.

If you're already running good distances and are comfortable on the bike you're already 2/3rds there.....
  • lyttlewon
    Options
    rbiss wrote: »
    A good rule of thumb is to practice your weakest sport 3 times a week and you best at least once. The middle one twice. Work in brick workouts into training. When you feel comfortable you can stucture it more.

This is super helpful. Swimming is terrible for me.
    Swimming is my kryptonite hence I don't tri , I du..... but I digress...swim, swim & swim some more. You also want to incorporate some bricks too, the first time you run off the bike it's almost comical - your legs may feel rubbery - but practice makes perfect. Speaking of practice, rehearse your transitions, lay out your gear the same way every time.

If you're already running good distances and are comfortable on the bike you're already 2/3rds there.....

@BrianSharpe I did this once last year, went from stationary bike to treadmill, and it felt really weird. I didn't do it again. I don't see many of du races. Do you sign up for a tri, and just skip the water part?
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    This will be a long rambling reply with lots of personal observations and my experience only. It is opinion. Maybe some will be helpful. I hope so!

It is deep in the off season for most of us. Right now and for a few more month I would build you base with lower intensity 75% HRM type workouts and some similar exertion level bricks that are not too much longer than your regular workout. If you ride 40 miles, do a 30 mile ride and 5K to get the weird feeling of running after riding.

Look up exercise TSS calculations. Unfortunately toxic shock syndrome results will dominate your google search. Just keep looking till you find it.

My trainer has done many Iron Man Triathlons. We are working on volume right now. I do 90 minutes every morning on the Tri bike. Recovery ride is the pace. If you don't know what a recovery ride is, just google it and the theory behind it.

Just a thought to consider on cycling. If you get into an aero position you seriously reduce your drag. People spend thousands on aero wheels! You can just learn to ride on the drops on a regular road bike or in the aero position on your Tri bike and save way more energy per mph. You don't need to spend money buying speed until you master the basic skills. Dont buy into the hype.

On bikes- Tri bikes center your hips more over the pedals. You can drive with your glutes and hamstrings more. It is easier to get more aero. If you really enjoy triathlons you may want to consider one. They are a little different feeling to steer but it is a skill you can master. Not required to do triathlons. You can do perfectly fine on a road bike! The Tri bike riding position will spare your running muscles a bit, so it is more than an aero advantage. A brick on a Tri bike will be easier than a brick on a road bike. I have both. I notice it.

Another important thing is your venue! If you are swimming a river, as my year end main Tri , it will matter if you are swimming with the current and how much easier that and your wet suit make it. You may find the swim will be much much easier than an open ocean swim. So looking at it in balance, you could spend lots of time training for a swim that will be so easy you will spend 30% of your training volume to only gain 6 minutes on your swim. That would be focusing on the area with the least to gain.

If it has a hard ride in hills, that is where that extra training time could have been better spent. You can pick triathlons that match your skills. A bad skill set match can make it much more difficult. If you struggle swimming, an open ocean swim would be brutal.

Anyway... As you can see, it is more than just swim, ride, run.

Triathlons are train to complete at first then train to compete.

Being able to do a brick and keep at 75% heart rate throughout is a critical skill!! It takes discipline to not want to ride too fast when people pass you on the bike. Go too fast on the bike and you will be setting yourself up for a bad run. It will be all about balanced exertion.

As BrianSharpe said, practice your transitions. Little things all add up! 3 minutes wasted fumbling in transition is very very hard to make up on course.

Good luck and have fun with it.
  • lyttlewon
    Options
    @Working2BLean The swim part is in a lake, and I'm not sure what the current will be like. I do have access to see the course well in advance though, so when it's spring I'll probably check it out. Thank you for the Google suggestions, I'll look those up.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    lyttlewon wrote: »
    rbiss wrote: »

This is super helpful. Swimming is terrible for me.

@BrianSharpe I did this once last year, went from stationary bike to treadmill, and it felt really weird. I didn't do it again. I don't see many of du races. Do you sign up for a tri, and just skip the water part?

@lyttlewon Late reply, sorry....

No a duathlon is run, bike, run. Some say they're more grueling than a tri because it's all legs. Normally the longest distances you'll see for duathlons is Olympic which is a 5K run, 40km ride & 10K run
  • Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    Is the person that will coach you on swimming someone who has done triathlons? Something to think about is it is a lot different swimming in a lake than in lanes. Once you get comfortable on the water, and increase your distance, you'll want to practice spotting. In the lake, you will have to look for the bouys that you swim to our swim around. Once summer comes, make sure you try a few lake swims. But, that's a long way off :wink:
  • c1ownfishie
    c1ownfishie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I've done two half ironmans and grew up swimming and playing water polo. Totally willing to give you any advice you might want/need. Feel free to friend me!!! :smile: