Weight-loss goals..?! And have you given yourself a "goal" date?

Options
KT_3009
KT_3009 Posts: 1,042 Member
edited November 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
So I'm wanting to lose another 25-30lbs which for my 5'4 height and currently weighing 147lbs I think it's doable.. I want to lose the weight by mid February - early March and was wondering if having a set goal date is better with helping to get motivated and keeping on track?
Any advice is great :)

Replies

• tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I don't set dates anymore, largely because if the pounds start slowing down I start getting more upset thinking I won't reach my goal by xyz date. Or if I have calculated that I should be able to weight X by Y date and a few weeks I'm not losing fast enough to make that happen, I can completely overlook any progress I AM making because I'm not making it fast enough. This is just the way that I am and so I've chosen not to set dates for myself anymore. If all of this isn't a problem for you, it could be a great motivator to think of your self at your goal weight for some special occasion.
  • jkquinn13
    jkquinn13 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I turn 50 in April of next year and I have a goal to be under 200 by then. It works out to be around 2 lbs per week which is what I average when Im practicing all my habits consistently
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    My goal date is before I die. I've lost over 50 but it's taken me 5 years. But we're all different . What worked for me might not work for you. I'd never be able to take that much weight off in such a short amount of time. It might make me sick and cause me to lose far more muscle that I'd be willing to part with leaving me lethargic and with a higher body fat percentage than what my personal goal is. I think I'd get really discouraged when I realized I wasn't going to get anywhere near my goal despite trying my very best.

But like I said, everyone is different and there are a lot of different paths to weight loss. Good luck finding the path that works for you!!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I did not set an ultimate goal but I have set tentative "it would be nice if . . ." dates for my mini goals. I didn't want anything absolute because there was a good chance I would lose motivation if I didn't do it. Having these has helped and being realistic and somewhat conservative when setting them also helped. I was slightly later than I had hoped when I reached Onederland and I was 2 weeks later than hoped for getting out of the obese and into the overweight BMI range but I have made all of the others so far.

I really depends on you, and you know yourself. Will setting a goal motivate you, or will you get derailed if it looks like you won't make it? Only you can really answer those questions. If you can set a goal and are willing to revise it as you go along, go for it.

ETA: Mini goals:

Lose 10% of my body weight (done 5/7/2014)
    Lose 50 lb. (done 7/24/2014)
    Lose 1/2 of the weight I need to (done 11/25/2014)
    Lose 100 lb. (Done 4/10/2015)
    Onederland (Done 6/13/2015)
    BMI in overweight range (done 10/6/2015)
    Final push:
    190 by my birthday (made it 2 weeks late, but made it!)
    180 by Christmas
    170 by Easter
    160 (goal) by Memorial Day
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I didn't set a goal date. I have felt stressed and negative in the past when I had a set date for weight loss.
    I have in mind that I'll likely get to my goal weight in a year but it takes as long as it takes.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I discourage goal dates for most people.

Firstly, most people set goals that are too aggressive.

Secondly, despite my belief in weight loss coming down to CICO, I also know that weight loss is not linear and that, even when people strongly adhere to their diets, weight doesn't always come off at a predictable rate. There are too many variables--water retention, hormones, etc.--that are out of our control.

Thirdly, failing to meet a weight loss time line is demoralizing to a lot of people and I think it's pointless to set oneself up for disappointment for the sake of a specific date.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I didn't. Good that I didn't. This last 7 lbs is a bear!
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I have a goal date. I am not making it like a reach goal or die goal date but it helps put a little urgency in my mind.
  • firststepformefal
    firststepformefal Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    No goal date. I do not want to put pressure on myself to reach my goal by a certain date. I want to be happy with myself and my week if I stay the same or lose 2 pounds. I do not give myself mini goals either, for the same reason. I am doing 2 challenges. One is for weight loss and one is for exercise. For me, the exercise one is the more important as I need to do more to get fit, strengthen my abdominals and knees. Right now, I am doing really good, after realizing I sabotage myself. In a month, I may not do so well as I have clinical depression and I could be feeling bad about myself and life in general.
  • kissedbythesunshine
    Options
    No set date for weight loss. I use to set dates and always ended up starting and stopping. I realize I was thinking of weight loss all wrong. It's not a race but a lifestyle change. Now I just stick to my calorie allotment, workout, and let my body do it's thing.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    I have a goal date, but it's "sometime around April of next year if nothing changes and my rate stays the same it's been". So I wouldn't put too much into a single date, cause that could be really demotivating, but there's no medical reason or life-reason for me why, if I continue to work out and log accurately, I shouldn't be at my goal weight late next spring.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I discourage goal dates for most people.

Firstly, most people set goals that are too aggressive.

Secondly, despite my belief in weight loss coming down to CICO, I also know that weight loss is not linear and that, even when people strongly adhere to their diets, weight doesn't always come off at a predictable rate. There are too many variables--water retention, hormones, etc.--that are out of our control.

Thirdly, failing to meet a weight loss time line is demoralizing to a lot of people and I think it's pointless to set oneself up for disappointment for the sake of a specific date.

1000% this.

No goal dates for me. It happens when it happens. As long as I keep my eye on the prize, I'll get there. When is just a small detail.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I do more of a goal weekly loss. I say I'll loose 1.5 - 2 lbs a week and then mark my calendar with what my weight should be every week. Some weeks I loose less, some weeks more but if I find I'm falling behind I'll step it up to get back on track. I can't set an end goal because I don't know what I want my end weight to be yet
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    My goal is to not quit

It is a lifelong plan.

I am reshaping my body now. A little fat away here and add a little muscle there. Add endurance or strength.

There are no dates set. Life happens and quite often changes my plans. I do my best and feel good with the results.
  • DavidVXR
    DavidVXR Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I don't have a numerical goal but do have a rather nice timeless Hugo Boss suit hanging in my wardrobe.
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    KT_3009 wrote: »
    So I'm wanting to lose another 25-30lbs which for my 5'4 height and currently weighing 147lbs I think it's doable.. I want to lose the weight by mid February - early March and was wondering if having a set goal date is better with helping to get motivated and keeping on track?
    Any advice is great :)

I am also 5'4" 147 lbs. I don't set a goal date, but I do enjoy using the happy scales app which gives me an estimated date for when I reach my goal based on my rate of loss. Right now my goal is set to 120 lbs, but I will probably go down to 115 lbs since I feel best at that weight.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    No date for me.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    No goal date for me, I barely have a goal weight.

I picked the high end of my BMI when I started but it's not set in stone.

But I can't see anything wrong with a goal date.

If I remember correctly a timeframe is one of the key components of setting an effective goal.

Measurable and timeframe and I think a few others. So goal weight and goal date go together.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    No goal date for me, I barely have a goal weight.

I picked the high end of my BMI when I started but it's not set in stone.

But I can't see anything wrong with a goal date.

If I remember correctly a timeframe is one of the key components of setting an effective goal.

Measurable and timeframe and I think a few others. So goal weight and goal date go together.

Timeframe is part of "SMART" goal setting but I think that most people who use it for weight loss don't do it intelligently. Instead, they use 1-2 pounds per week without any breaks or days off and no consideration of the fact that weight loss isn't linear. They just hear "losing 1-2 pounds per week is a safe rate" and assume that they can achieve that rate no problemo.
  • misterdale67
    misterdale67 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I set a goal weight and date that I knew was completely attainable if I was 100% dedicated and worked hard. It kept me focused and accountable. I reached both and feel great!