5k race after c25k

Options
I am on week 4 of c25k and would like to sign up for a 5k race in olympic park on 13 dec. It will be bang on just after i finish the programme this week (if i train 3 times a week). Do you think this is a good idea or should I leave a bit more time and try in January? I have no idea what my time is atm and how far I run/walk.
Thanks for all replies in advance!

Replies

• SparklySarah412
    SparklySarah412 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Definitely go for it!
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Definitely sign up for it! You'll rock it!
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    It's a great idea! It'll be really good encouragement. Worst case scenario, you may have to walk a little. Best case scenario, this keeps you on track and gives you a fun experience to look forward to. I did this when I was doing c25K and don't regret it at all.

Great advice!

Go for it, you have nothing to lose, a lot of people walk 5ks.
  • MtnGirl38
    MtnGirl38 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I think you should do it! Like amyrebeccah said it can be very motivating to have a short term goal to work toward. You know you will finish. It's ok to walk/jog too! Will this be your first?
  • martazdz
    martazdz Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Yes, this will be my first race ever. I have almost finished c25k few years ago but never attempted 5k run. I think I will sign up, it will motivate me to at least not to loose the £20 haha
  • MtnGirl38
    MtnGirl38 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Right? Lol!!

Definitely go for it! I started running using C25K a few years ago and realized that I actually (gasp) liked running.
    The atmosphere at a race is awesome plus the feeling of accomplishment you get when you're finished is amazing. Don't put too much pressure on yourself. Just register!
  • martazdz
    Options
    I have registered!!! Thanks for the encorugment everyone.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    It doesnt matter if you all a bit, it will be a great experience and you'll learn a lot. How are finding C25K?
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    martazdz wrote: »
    I have registered!!! Thanks for the encorugment everyone.

Good for you! My biggest concern when I did C25K was that the 5K I found was a few weeks later. I was worried about losing conditioning without a structured program keeping me on track. (That turned out not to happen, but I worried about it.)

Most programs are designed to point you at a race immediately after completion. This should work well for you.

• martazdz
    Options
    It doesnt matter if you all a bit, it will be a great experience and you'll learn a lot. How are finding C25K?

This is the second time im doing it. Im only on forth week but I'm super hyped and could run everyday, but I have breaks not to injur myself. I bought new asics as well so hopefully that will help too :). I'm very excited now, gonna run around the olympic park yey
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Ooh the Mo Farah run? I'm doing bridge to 10k having done C25k last year, and am thinking of signing up, even though I'm not quite there in terms of B2 10k. As someone said up thread, I can always walk if I can't run the full distance.
  • martazdz
    Options
    Ooh the Mo Farah run? I'm doing bridge to 10k having done C25k last year, and am thinking of signing up, even though I'm not quite there in terms of B2 10k. As someone said up thread, I can always walk if I can't run the full distance.

Yeah its the mo farah run! I think they have two categories for 10k, one if you able to run under 50min and the other if you run over. They asked to estimate finish time and they had 14-20 min and over 20 lol. I will probably be over 40 lol. But its not like they will ask me to leave the track hahah. You should try, if you are able to run over 5-6 k, I'm sure you will be able to get closer within a month. I have signed up now!
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    eeekkkk I'm up to week 4 as well, although I'm following the couch to 10k program instead... Good for you for signing up, it will definitely push you... Sometimes, on my in between days I go out and time myself doing a 5k distance, walking/running as much as I can at any intervals. That way I'm only pushing myself as much as my body can handle, but I'm not overdoing it.... (It also means I burn lots of calories to eat more woohoo!!)

Keep going, you will be amazing xxx
  • martazdz
    Options
    I have to start timing myself and see how far i actually run/walk at the moment.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I've coached a learn to run group for a few years (same idea as C25k). At the end of our 8 week program there is a 5k "graduation" race and most of the group does it. Some people stick with the run x/walk 1. Some try to run the whole thing. Some even do local 5k races during our program and just finish by doing the run x/walk 1 for that week.

No reason you shouldn't do it (I see you already signed up, good).
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I registered for a celebration race after C25K. I wanted to publicly show that I'd "graduated" and was committed to running. I did a 5k funrun for MSF/ Doctors without Borders and loved it. Raised quite a bit of money for an amazing cause too! I totally recommend a goal race for after C25k , it's such a great feeling.

Think I'm going to sign up for the 10k. I'm registered for one in April, but might use this as a warm up.
  • angerelle
    angerelle Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Running at the Olympic Park will be pretty special, I did a 5m race there just before the Olympics - as we ran through the tunnel to get onto the track, they played Chariots of Fire, makes me teary to think of it still!
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    You are going to do awesome in your race! Good luck and have fun!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    5K races should come with a warning label. They're a gateway race, you run a few; your times and confidence improve and next thing you know you're getting crazy ideas about running 10Ks or half-marathons or triathlons......madness, sheer madness!

Seriously.....have fun! Your only goal for your first race is to finish with a smile on your face.
  • martazdz
    Options
    Thanks a lot!!!