Help!!! (food shopping issues)

Options
So today will be the first food shopping trip i'm making since I've starting on this big lifestyle change. The thing is, it's wayyy more expensive to eat healthy and i'm kinda broke right now. I have a total of about 75 dollars to spend on food for me and the bf and I need ideas of healthy stuff to eat. If the food in question is quick to prepare, that's even better. I'm already getting:

bocaburgers
grilled chicken
fish
salad stuff
fruit
frozen/ healthy emergency dinners

Any other ideas guys?

Replies

• gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    ground turkey, wheat bread, greek yogurt (or normal yogurt), broccoli. be careful with the emergency dinners. lots of sodium...i think healthy choice has the lowest tho.

good luck!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    buy the storebrand!!! and whats on sale!! Otherwise, grits, frozen veggies (cheap and last a while so you don't end up wasting them) Buy lowfat (not nonfat yuck) bars of cheese and shred and slice them yourself, cheaper than buying sliced and shredded. Buy a big thing of storebrand yogurt instead of individuals. Cottage Cheese if you like that.
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I will tell you.,its a common misconception that eating healthy is more expensive. The inititioal large shop is pricy but after that its completely manageable.

Also
    I suggest oatmeal,greek yogurt,and almonds.
  • nichole325
    nichole325 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    It's SO hard to buy healthy food on a budget...and definitely if you want it quick to prepare.

Yesterday I went to the store and spent 25 dollars.

I bought:
    - 5lbs of fresh strawberries
    - 4 kiwis
    - a bag of red seedless grapes
    - skinless boneless chickenbreasts (there was like 10 huge pieces in the pack)
    - 5 skinless chicken legs
    - a bag of salad
    - 2 cucumbers
    - 2 green peppers
    - green beans

and i have NO idea how I got all of that for 25 dollars! lol I was very proud so I thought I'd share =) lol

Then as soon as I got home I prepared all the fruit in a bowl and prepared the chicken to cook that way I wouldn't have to worry about doing it later.
  • nichole325
    nichole325 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    ground turkey, wheat bread, greek yogurt (or normal yogurt), broccoli. be careful with the emergency dinners. lots of sodium...i think healthy choice has the lowest tho.

good luck!

Definitely ground Turkey and wheat bread is a must!
  • eklei123
    eklei123 Posts: 27
    Options
    Start clipping coupons. Seriously. Such a help when I'm at school! And shop for produce at farmer's markets- WAY cheaper!
  • monkeysmum
    monkeysmum Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    lentils are good

not sure what else as i find healthy foods cheaper than the ready prepared processed stuff i used to buy usually i buy carbs like rice pasta or potato i always have bag lentils in and then just fresh fruit veggies seasonal is usually cheaper and then just basics eggs milk cheese plan your meals for the week and stick to it that way you wont get tempted to buy things you then dont use
  • riley711
    riley711 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Try to prepare meals that will last for more than one meal. For instance, penne pasta with lots of veggies. I got the recipe off one of the pasta boxes. One of my favorites is cabbage with turkey sausage, cooked in low sodium chicken broth.
  • aejbx4x7s
    aejbx4x7s Posts: 111
    Options
    Eggs - delicious, low cal, and super cheap. Frozen veggies (cheaper than fresh and no worries about them going bad), I prefer asparagus, broccoli, and edamame. Tofu is cheap than meat and keeps longer. Onion and garlic are cheap, low cal ways to add flavor to just about anything. String cheese, especially Sargento's Light String Cheese, it's 50 calories and a cheap, tasty snack. Canned beans are good, low cal popsicles as a treat (Flav-or-ice are super cheap and delicious). Bananas, carrots and other cheap fruits/veggies are always good. As a 23 year old, I know the shopping on a budget dilemma!

best of luck!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Frozen veggies(no sauce), Canned tomatoes( no sodium), Whole wheat low carb Bread, tortilla, pitas (if you eat carbs)? Canned beans, Low fat cheese, 40 cal fudge pops, plain yogurt, low fat yogurt ( I mix the 2 together because I think the reg is too sweet but I have to have some sugar in it and I hate artificial sweetners).
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Feeding a family of four is not an easy challenge sometimes when the paycheck just doesn't stretch to the 2 weeks it's supposed to...when I get into the overdraft, I start thinking about making a huge pot of homemade chicken soup [which you can freeze in portions].

FF chicken stock
    carrots - diced
    celery - diced
    onion [dice and fry it in water first, until it's slightly caramelized]
    cheapest cuts of chicken I can find [cook it and dice it]
    handful of either rice or barley
    salt & pepper
    whatever else you like in your soup...

serve with a nice salad

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    You are missing your dairy...Laughing cow cheese or cheese sticks?

I try to keep sugar free jello, Special K Cracker Chips, Dark Chocolate Almonds, Almond Vanilla Unsweetened Milk and lots of berries (straw, blue, rasp)
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Just a couple of things in addition to what everyone else said: Whole chickens are cheaper and you can use the carcass to make your own broths and soups. Dried beans are far cheaper than canned. They may take longer to cook, but you also control the sodium in them. And are easier to do if you have a crockpot. And you listed Boca burgers, which are kind of spendy. Look around for veggie burger recipes and you can make your own!
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options

Yesterday I went to the store and spent 25 dollars.

I bought:
    - 5lbs of fresh strawberries
    - 4 kiwis
    - a bag of red seedless grapes
    - skinless boneless chickenbreasts (there was like 10 huge pieces in the pack)
    - 5 skinless chicken legs
    - a bag of salad
    - 2 cucumbers
    - 2 green peppers
    - green beans

Impressive!! I try to get my fruits/vegetables from a local produce stand - way less than the regular stores. I also will buy meat in bulk and then repackage it into smaller parts. I will cut up my vegetables too and repackage them so they are ready to use when I need to throw something together quickly.

Do you have a grocery store with a bulk food section? If so, that can save you money. I buy my rices in bulk, steel cut oats and beans too. If you don't have bulk you can still buy beans and rice relatively cheap and a little goes on long way.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    oatmeal, eggs, in season fruits and veggies (cheaper that way), yogurt, sweet potatoes, brown rice.

These plus what you have on your list should be good and these things are all pretty cheap.
  • laurad1406
    laurad1406 Posts: 341
    Options
    One can of Cannellini beans (or a bag of dried beans, which they just take longer to prepare) mixed with some EVOO, lemon and garlic makes a HUGE portion of hummus to snack on throughout the week, and i think it costs about $1.50 last time I was at the store. Also, I always have a ton of lemons on hand to help flavor everything instead of expensive sauces!
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    Fresh produce is actually inexpensive if you don't go organic. I buy organic food because I don't go stingy when it comes to my health, so I can't help you there.

But as another poster said, dried beans are a good choice if you have a chance to soak them. You can try to buy the produce that's on sale for that week. Brown rice is another thing you can buy in bulk inexpensively. When there is something on sale, for example, chicken, I stock up on that and buy way more than I need so I don't have to buy it another week.

One of the easy ways to let your money go down the drain is to have waste--food that goes bad before you can eat it. Therefore, I'd recommend shopping at least once weekly if the grocery store is convenient to your house.

A lot of grocery stores have email mailing lists now where they send you coupons. This is a great way to find out what has just come out on sale, and it saves paper and you getting junk mail coupons. That way you only print out the coupons you really want.

Some grocery stores offer fuel incentives. Spend so much on food, get so much per gallon off of gas. So even if you go over on your food budget, you save money in another sector of your life.

Buy food from local farmer's markets or join a CSA. You can get good, organic, fresh food for a much more reasonable price than you can at the grocery store. I pay $30-40 a week and get tons of great fruit and vegetables from my local CSA. Since I don't eat red meat, there isn't much I have to buy at conventional grocery stores.

Also, the more things you make from scratch, the more money you save. If you have a bread maker, you can very easily and cheaply bake a large bread loaf that will last you for awhile. Buy it in the store, and you'll be paying much more. Same with soup. Buy a can of soup at the store, expect to pay at least $2. Make soup at home and you can have 10 servings for that price, and it will be lower in sodium too.

Avoid those salad bar and premade food areas in the grocery store that are there for convenience. The more convenient the meal, the more money you will pay for it. Grocery stores make the bulk of their profits from those premade salads and entrees. But it sounds like you don't have a lot of time for cooking things from scratch...in that case, I'd recommend soups, salads, and crockpot dinners in larger servings, at least until you can get back on your feet financially.

To save money, I make large meals. I cook for just my husband and I, but instead of making just 2 servings of dinner and having to make something all new for lunch the next day, I make several servings of the good stuff we eat for dinner, and then I have something very quick and easy leftover to pack in my husband's lunch the next day. It's convenient for me too. Just stock up on tupperware!
  • osmoticferocity
    Options
    So a lot of people have covered a lot of stuff already. One thing that I bought recently was a tub of low fat yogurt and a couple bags of frozen berries. It was cheap (on sale) and combined with my newly acquired blender, it makes delicious and relatively healthy snacks. Now when I get a craving for sweets, I can have a fruit smoothie and I don't even have to pay $6 for one!
  • Lstrhi
    Lstrhi Posts: 132
    Options
    thankyou everybody for all your help and great ideas!
  • jgdragonfly411
    Options
    Canned Tuna, Canned Salmon, frozen baby shrimp, lentils, kidney beans, black beans, bagged dried peas/beans mixed, cous cous, oatmeal, store brand cottage cheese, store brand barred cheese, eggs, store brand yogurt, frozen veggies (just check sodium content to be sure), chicken breast, whole grain pasta, brown rice in bulk, barley, chickpeas (make your own hummus), buy seasonal fruit that is on sale. Right now we have blueberries on sale b/c they are ready in our area. The same goes for vegetables. Eating seasonally and locally is good for you as it is. Also I can go to our local farmer's market and get a week or so worth of veggies and fruit for about 20 dollars, so you might look into that. The options are usually locally grown.