Breakfast or no breakfast?

Options
Does everyone eat breakfast?? I usually do eat breakfast but i think id rather eat a bigger lunch and dinner nearer to when I'm going to the gym so i have the energy rather than spread my calories thinly throughout the day. Don't really feel hungry first thing - just eat breakfast because everyone seems to tell you through.

Just wondering what everyone's breakfast regime was?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you.
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    No, purely because when it comes down to it, I would rather have 15 minutes in bed than breakfast.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you.

This.
  • GillianSmith2
    GillianSmith2 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what im planning to eat for the rest of the day. If its a normal day then yes i have breakfast, if however i know that im having a larger lunch or dinner then i may miss breakfast so that i can stick to my calories
  • mikene12
    mikene12 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Personally I think breakfast is so important. I never miss it.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast at noon. I see no reason to eat this meal at the buttcrack of dawn when I'm busy exercising and not hungry. I eat 12-7p when I'm hungry.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Completely up to you. I often don't eat breakfast and opt for a larger lunch and dinner. Meal timing is irrelevant to weight loss, so doing what works for you is the best way to stick to a plan.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you. I get hangry if I don't eat fairly soon after I wake up, and I find I'm better able to stay within my calories if I eat smaller meals every 3 hours or so.

My husband, on the other hand, does better if he has his first meal around lunch, as eating breakfast means he'd starving again around 10 am and then he tends to overeat because he'll be hungry again sooner. Something about the way his metabolism works.
  • jlitvin6
    jlitvin6 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It is so important to eat breakfast for a few reasons. One - it starts your metabolism going for the day. So if you're not too hungry, eat light, like unsweetened Greek yogurt with fresh fruit or 1 egg & fruit. If you're worried about having energy for the gym, then eat a hearty snack about an hour before, something like cheese, whole wheat crackers & fruit or some protein (including nuts / seeds) & complex & simple healthy carbs, like whole wheat toast & banana.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    jlitvin6 wrote: »
    It is so important to eat breakfast for a few reasons. One - it starts your metabolism going for the day. So if you're not too hungry, eat light, like unsweetened Greek yogurt with fresh fruit or 1 egg & fruit. If you're worried about having energy for the gym, then eat a hearty snack about an hour before, something like cheese, whole wheat crackers & fruit or some protein (including nuts / seeds) & complex & simple healthy carbs, like whole wheat toast & banana.

The metabolism stops working during the night? That would mean that breakfast isn't important at all, because all that food from the evening before is lying there undigested and the stomach has plenty of food to start the day with.

Meal timing is irrelevant - that's been proven by peer-reviewed scientific studies. There are plenty of people who practice IF (Intermittent Fasting) who don't eat until mid-day or later and still successfully lose weight/build muscle/have excellent health. There are also many people who enjoy fasted cardio in the morning, and don't eat until after their workout. Your metabolism doesn't slow down or stop at night unless you die in your sleep....in which case you have much more serious problems to deal with than what you're going to eat that morning.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    jlitvin6 wrote: »

Sorry, but the bolded bit is a myth. Your metabolism doesn't slow or stop overnight, and not eating first thing doesn't change the way it works. It really is down to personal preference.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    If you can't eat in morning (so do I), my fav drink: protein power + chia seed and maybe berries
    Help me have less craving during the day. For some reasons when I eat breakfast,... I just want to eat all the time.
  • rune1990
    rune1990 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I get up at 6am weekdays, have some water, then proceed to work for about three hours. When I get home I do cardio for about an hour. It's after stretching, showering that I have my usual breakfast of greek yogurt, banana, apple, and a coffee with about a half cup of milk. I'm hungry by the time I eat, but not starving.

I used to eat before work, and before I got home I was STARVING to distraction.

This works perfect for me, I'll go with it!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I do not eat in the morning.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I work from 5 to 10 with no break. If I don't eat before hand I am hangry and unable to do anything productive afterwards.
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Coffee is breakfast for me. Naah I'm not really a breakfast person.
  • scorpcookie
    scorpcookie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Only during the week I have breakfast, come weekend time by the time I'm ready for my first meal it's well beyond lunch time.
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I did the same thing, went on a "diet", ate breakfast and I was starving all the time. I couldn't sleep and I woke up miserable. Now that I save all my calories for the evening I'm finally happy while restricting calories. It took me three years of being here to finally figure out what works for me. It was a bunch of people in the community here at mfp that made me realize this. Breakfast does not help you lose weight, the only thing that matters is CICO. Breakfast only rev's my appetite.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters if you eat it or not; I don't believe it "jump starts your metabolism", that it's "the most important meal of the day" or whatever myths are floating around out there.

I eat a big breakfast every day because I love breakfast. It's my favorite meal of the day (but not the most important).
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    Do what you like...
    I LURVE breakfast!!