Is it ok to not lift weights if you're doing classes?

Lozze
Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
I've found that if I'm doing classes I will go regurally. But with doing my classes I don't have time to do my weights session.

My current exercise program is

Monday-Friday - ride bike for 45/50 minutes (commute to work)

M - Small group training for 30 minutes (generally Kettlebells and cardio)
T - Step class and Body Pump
W - 45 min HIIT class (Kettlebells for strength)
T - Softball training
F - no gym
S - just started a long ride (approx 40km) as well as a softball game
S - Pump and Yoga

As you can see there's just no time for weights into that but want to make sure I won't stall and hope my Pump class will be enough.

Replies

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    I would think that your Body Pump and kettlebell classes would be sufficient as your resistance training. You don't have to use barbells etc. to get the benefits of resistance/weight training. It depends on your goals and interests. You won't gain appreciable muscle size doing this, but as long as you keep challenging yourself (by using heavier kettlebells for example) your strength and endurance will improve, and it should help with retaining muscle as you lose weight.
  • fi_b
    fi_b Posts: 121 Member
    It really depends on why you want to have weights as part of your routine. If it's just for the sake of doing weights then I would say your current schedule is just fine! You're exercising a lot so no need to worry about that! If it's because you enjoy weight training then consider if there are any classes you don't love as much. If it's a building muscle thing and you don't want to give up any of your current activities I would maybe have a look at adding a few weights to the end of Monday, and possible swapping one of your pump classes a week. But then, don't pump classes incorporate weights? I'm not a gym class person so I'm not sure...
  • Lozze
    It does. It's an hour of doing weights set to music. Most I do is about 10kg on squats but there's something like 600-800 repititions each class.

I enjoy weights but right now my focus is on losing weight. I still have 30kg to lose so I want to maintain muscle and when I'm closer look at doing a weight program to get the body shape I want.
  • fi_b
    Fair enough, and great to see that your diary is open! If your main concern is muscle retention (and just as an aside I'm so happy that this is something you're aware on and focused on. Too many people ignore it!) definitely focus on your protein intake. As a rule of thumb, you should be looking at 1g or protein per pound of body weight. If you're trying to add muscle mass or do an insane amount of physical activity (elite athletes ets) then 1.2 to even 1.5g per pound.
    Keep up your excellent work, you'll shake those 30kg in no time!
  • fi_b
    Actually while I think about it, are you taking your measurements and progress photos? Just because you might find you are gaining some muscle and it would be horrible if you thought you were putting fat back on.
    Just a thought.
  • BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    Lozze wrote: »
    It does. It's an hour of doing weights set to music. Most I do is about 10kg on squats but there's something like 600-800 repititions each class.

I enjoy weights but right now my focus is on losing weight. I still have 30kg to lose so I want to maintain muscle and when I'm closer look at doing a weight program to get the body shape I want.

Why not challenge yourself to up your weights a little in pump class? I also enjoy classes and find I am more motivated to go if I have classes booked.I started out pretty light in pump classes but now squat 32.5kg. Admittedly you can't go up to heavy weights in pump because reps are too high but you can challenge yourself and build up slowly - I have found this (plus circuits which includes some weights) has been enough to start sculpting the shape I'm after.
  • Lozze
    I am! I'm doing a challenge at my gym and on week 5. Ive lost 'only' 2/3kg but my clothes are looser, and everyone is commenting. My face in particular is getting smaller.

Deb only been doing Pump for five/six weeks. Am working my way up but am currently working on squat form. I had issues with not getting my knees over my feet and then fixed that and started moving forward. Getting better so will start upping again soon!
  • tkfunkyfrogg
    tkfunkyfrogg Posts: 58 Member
    First of all, kudos for actually having a scheduled rest day!
    Looking at your regimen, I don't think you need a separate lifting session. Between the bodypump and kettlebells, those are kick-butt things to do! They focus on low weights and high reps in bodypump but over time you could always increase (very slowly) weights. KB are good because not only do you get stronger but unlike isolated lifting works your whole body. My first kb workout was mostly arms and squats but I woke up the next day with my abs on FIRE! Good stuff.
    If you get bored with your current routine after another month, you could always switch over to lifting sessions INSTEAD OF one of your other KB/BP days and then rotate back after a month. That is strictly up to you and not necessary.

Great job on your progress!
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member

This statement leads me to counter the others'. You are focusing on cardio/endurance which isn't optimal for maintaining muscle while in a deficit. Body Pump is not a strength program. There have been numerous threads about NOT WAITING until you've lost most of your weight before focusing on strength training.

A progressive strength program IS going to focus on muscle retention, while losing, and you'll see a more sculpted body when you are at goal. There aren't any reasons to wait when that's your end game, anyway. I would try a 2x/week schedule replacing a couple of your cardio classes.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    I've only done BodyPump for resistance training so far (and the body weight stuff in some of my other classes). Especially if it motivates you to keep it up, it's pretty great for resistance training. Again, keep in mind that you should keep the weights challenging, but never at the expense of your form. If you start with a weight that turns out to be too heavy, either put it down altogether, take breaks / don't do some reps, or reduce the weight and get back into it. On the other hand, don't be scared to increase :)
  • BalletAndBarbells
    BalletAndBarbells Posts: 334 Member
    ar9179 wrote: »

This statement leads me to counter the others'. You are focusing on cardio/endurance which isn't optimal for maintaining muscle while in a deficit. Body Pump is not a strength program. There have been numerous threads about NOT WAITING until you've lost most of your weight before focusing on strength training.

A progressive strength program IS going to focus on muscle retention, while losing, and you'll see a more sculpted body when you are at goal. There aren't any reasons to wait when that's your end game, anyway. I would try a 2x/week schedule replacing a couple of your cardio classes.

I am not disagreeing with you - body pump is not a strength program at all - it is mainly cardio because of the high rep count - but it can help increase strength if you build up your weights progressively each week.
    I would love to do a heavy lifting program but I also (like the OP) have a schedule of group exercise classes which works for me and keeps me motivated.

If it is true that cardio/endurance is no good for maintaining muscle whilst in a deficit then I must be the exception to the rule! I started out with 60lbs to lose and have lost 50 so far. In addition I have massively increased my fitness and strength - I'm not sure I could say I have gained muscle mass but I've certainly preserved what little was hiding under all that flab and now I'm quite happy with my sculpted arms and shoulders; whilst there is still work to be done I think I am proof that a mainly cardio/endurance regime in a deficit can yield good results. My schedule looks like this:

Monday: body pump or rest day
    Tuesday: spinning plus circuits
    Wednesday: body combat plus body pump
    Thursday: circuits
    Friday:spinning or rest day
    Saturday: body pump plus spinning
    Sunday: spinning plus circuits.

I started out unable to lift hardly anything and now I put more on my bar in pump and circuits than many of the men in the group. I can happily military press 20kg (which I know isn't heavy but it's a massive improvement on nothing!) and I couldn't do a single push up when I started out and now actually even enjoy them!

I would encourage Lozze to continue with the program that is working but if weights is what she wants to do then maybe switch it in for one of the classes.
    Good job on your progress so far Lozze, keep at it and you will achieve your goals!
  • ar9179
    Of course you can get stronger, but there is a built in cap because of the pace of the endurance classes.

The OP said that her goals aligned with strength training, she was just putting off starting a program. I encourage her to go ahead and start.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Of course you can get stronger, but there is a built in cap because of the pace of the endurance classes.

The OP said that her goals aligned with strength training, she was just putting off starting a program. I encourage her to go ahead and start.

Ok. How do you know that a fitness routine including BodyPump won't help preserve lean body mass? And can you offer a solution for what she said about being more likely to stick with things if she goes to classes? Meaning, I assume, less likely with a strength program?
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    FWIW, I concur with the opinions that bodypump plus the resistance training on some of the other days should be sufficient for muscle sparing. As you seem to be aware, BP is low-grade cardio plus endurance training, so you won't get a whole lot stronger (IIRC, the max load on those smartbars is about 75 pounds), but those gazillion reps are going to convince your body the muscles are being used :smile:
  • ar9179
    My point is that Body Pump is not a strength program, which (I thought) is something she said that she wanted to start at some point with her second comment. I say "why wait?" Can BP help one maintain muscle mass with appropriate protein consumption? I don't know of any study that has focused on those narrow parameters. Maybe someone does and can point you to it. I know that resistance training + adequate protein will and she may be getting those benefits to her satisfaction.
    Since she has stated that strength training is part of her goals why wait, until being at a lower weight, when she could be reaping those rewards throughout her deficit? Maybe her comment about enjoying weights and incorporating it later means something else.

Regardless, she doesn't know how motivated she'll be until she incorporates it. She already said that she likes lifting. It's up to her to add the benefits of progressive overload. I certainly can't make anyone do anything. Just offering general encouragement.

• MelodyandBarbells
    My point is that Body Pump is not a strength program, which (I thought) is something she said that she wanted to start at some point with her second comment. I say "why wait?" Can BP help one maintain muscle mass with appropriate protein consumption? I don't know of any study that has focused on those narrow parameters. Maybe someone does and can point you to it. I know that resistance training + adequate protein will and she may be getting those benefits to her satisfaction.
    Since she has stated that strength training is part of her goals why wait, until being at a lower weight, when she could be reaping those rewards throughout her deficit? Maybe her comment about enjoying weights and incorporating it later means something else.

Regardless, she doesn't know how motivated she'll be until she incorporates it. She already said that she likes lifting. It's up to her to add the benefits of progressive overload. I certainly can't make anyone do anything. Just offering general encouragement.

Oh ok. You made a pretty specific statement about BodyPump not being optimal, so I was curious to know what that was based on. I don't believe I've ever read any analysis of say, sub 30kg weights and would indeed be curious to read a bit about this. I agree that if she wants to strength train, she can give it a try. If she's maybe only considering it because that's the only way to preserve muscle, some anecdotal evidence says her current resistance training is quite likely sufficient

• Lozze
    Thanks for all the advice guys!

My main focus right now is muscle prevention. My main goal for weight loss is looks. (I want that toned fit look I know you can only get with weights) tHe best thing I can do for that right now is lose weight. Once I'm closer to my goal I want to do heavier weights (I've done NROLFW before) to focus more on the look I want. I don't have any intention of building muscle right now.

I'm finding my *kitten* is perkier just from Pump. And while I enjoy doing heavy weights I don't enjoy it as much as Pump. I've fallen off the whom doing it before and don't want that this time. Pump brings me joy and hats why I do it twice a week.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    edited November 2015
    How much do you enjoy the kettleballs? I think I'd shift around my long ride (not the game, of course ;) ), cut the kettleballs and add in 2x a week of heavier weights, yeah. Optimally, I mean.

I'm sure the resistance in your pump classes does help compared to not using resistance (imho, it's not just cardio, in other words), but I'd still go on and add the heavy lifting if you plan on doing it later. Even that one kettleball class for strength could replaced for a better bet, I think. Good luck! :)
  • Lozze
    When I say Kettlebells class it's a HIIT class that uses Kettlebells. It's a class that makes me feel amazing and I really love it.

I'm thinking from the advice I'm getting so far that what I'm doing isn't ideal but will maintain muscle. I might continue with it for the rest of the year and then reevaluate in 2016
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    When I say Kettlebells class it's a HIIT class that uses Kettlebells. It's a class that makes me feel amazing and I really love it.

I'm thinking from the advice I'm getting so far that what I'm doing isn't ideal but will maintain muscle. I might continue with it for the rest of the year and then reevaluate in 2016

The average person does not lift weights.
    Even the average active person does not lift weights.
    It is a matter of personal preference and goals.
    If you want to become a bodybuilder or a powerlifter for example, you will not get there by following your current routine.
    If your goal is overall fitness, whatever you enjoy and stick to it, this is what you should be doing.