The loss of a pet

Options

Replies

• SyKena
    SyKena Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss. I recently lost my four year old toy poodle as well. He was killed by our neighbor's German Shepard and her pups....I'm still taking it hard and took off work for a few days...pets are our family. Just take it day by day!
  • Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332
    Options
    Condolences. You will see your friend again at the Rainbow Bridge.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
    When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
    They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
  • capturethemoments3
    Options
    Grieving for a lost pet is totally normal (or at least it is to me :) ). You see your pet everday in your home and then one day they are gone. When I had to put my dog down 3 1/2 years ago it was one of the hardest things to do. I understand the waking up the next morning and the house just being quiet. All the sudden the clicking of the toe nails or the good morning bark to wake you up are gone. I totally get it. Grieve for as long as you need to and eventually you will be able to remember all of the good things and be ready to do it all over again. I have since rescued a dog from the shelter, and even though they aren't your Fletch, they do find a spot in your heart. Take care of yourself, everything else will come back together.
  • cln714
    cln714 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry it took me so long to reply, but I can't tell you how much this out-pouring of support has helped me. I guess it made me feel ok with my grief and accept that this is just something that I am going to carry with me for a while. I miss my Fletch so much and still burst into tears... but I do look forward to the day when I can think of him and just smile and just feel the happiness and peace that he always brought to me.

One thing that I thought was interesting was a couple of you said you feel almost worse than when your parents past. This last week I kept thinking that I felt so sad, I just couldn't imagine what I will go through when I lose my parents. But after reading some of your posts I realized that my pain probably won't be more intense. I may feel it for longer, but when I do feel it I think it will be equally or less as intense. It was a comfort to me.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and respond to me. It really did help. :)
  • CarrieBeard
    CarrieBeard Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    "A dog is the only thing on Earth that loves you more than he loves himself"- taken from words of encouragement I recently got from Facebook Friends.
    I lost my "Remington" this week. My "baby" for 12 yrs. I have lost my in-laws, grandparents, and other family members -ALL that I LOVED very much and knew for longer... but this pain is different. I is OK to cry and grieve for our four legged family members.
    My heart absolutely BREAKS for those parents that have suffered the loss of a human child. I can't imagine their pain.

Thank you for sharing your loss with us, the kind words sent to you are sooo much a blessing and help to others.
  • jenngi620
    jenngi620 Posts: 51
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. :( As for advice about what to do with your previous intentions to get healthier, I'd say to think more like our dear animal spirit companions. One thing that dogs in particular are very good at is living in the moment. I would hope for you that you continue to take moments to think only about yourself and how it feels to be in your body. Other moments take the time to greive and miss him, but don't let those define your existance. Be well!
  • kym117
    kym117 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    No you are not nuts and if you are we are all with you! I had a collie dog Jed I bought him when he was 6wks old and he was my first dog and everything to me, If I could describe the relationship we had I would say he was my soulmate in fur! The long chat's I had with him he knew every secret, watched a lot of tears and made me laugh a lot. Jed and I were together for an amazing 16 years, and I was devastated when I had to let him go, life goes on though and things will get better it just takes time, I am not saying you will not miss him but you will learn to remember his funny storys and smile. It is three years since I lost Jed and two years ago my husband bought me a Westie Puppy, he is great and he is a lovely wee companion that I love more each day but every day I still miss Jed. My thoughts are with you, take care :flowerforyou:

P.S don't worry about your food/excersise at the moment you will get back on track soon enough.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    You're NOT nuts, you just cared about your pet, as you should. I'm really, REALLY sorry for what you're going through. It's really hard. :cry:
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    no you're not nuts, don't feel bad about letting yourself grieve, it will get better with time.

isn't that one of the universe's cruelest jokes, giving us a best friend that offers unconditional love and loyalty - and then only letting it live a fraction of the time we do......
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    i had my cat zelda from the age of 4. i asked my aunt for a toy cat for my birthday, and she brought me the most adorable kitten. i moved away to college and she died on my 19th birthday... my mom drove all the way to tell me in person, and bought me a bottle of jack haha.... i cried for weeks and missed a lot of my first classes for college. i will not get another cat for a long long time
    its been quite some time since then, and i can look at her picture now. still very sad, infact im bawling right now. i will always love her, she was my first best friend. and i blame myself because i wasnt home to take care of her.

i know what you are going through, and i wish you the best of luck. unfortunatly i dont have any advice im so sorry for your loss.:c if you can handle it, you might want to do something you can remember them by, if you are ready.
    i planted a beautiful tree ontop of her grave at home... but i couldnt stand to see her get burried.

319962_10150308822318196_506873195_8453759_579309462_n.jpg

44962_445831063195_506873195_5700386_266384_n.jpg
  • MissLuana
    MissLuana Posts: 356
    Options
    I am sorry for your loss and no you are not crazy. Pets become family and that's how it should be. My parent's were animal lovers which means we have mourned the death of many animals throughout my child/teen/adult hood. It's a very normal reaction. Just please don't decide you don't want anymore pets due to the pain of losing one. Animal lovers have a special place in their hearts for animals and you should never let it go to waste. There's plenty of animals out there deserving to be loved.
  • MystiqueASAP
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss as it must be devastating. Take your time to grieve.
  • arodriguez2
    arodriguez2 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I am soooooo sorry to hear about your loss. I had to put down my 10 yr old chocolate lab last nov (and actually did not have the energy or motivation to even log into MFP for a long time) to make it worse my 14 yr old teddy bear mix died 6 months later followed by the death of our 1 month old puppy. It is absolutely normal to feel so lost and heartbroken. I am sending you lots and lots of positive energy. I book that helped me through my loss was " a dog's purpose" I bawled uncontrollably a few times, but it really helped me cope with my loss by putting it into a different perspective.
    I hope that the memories of your best friend will keep you comfort in your pain.
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I am truly sorry for your loss...my most sincere and deepest condolences go out to you ((((((hugs))))))......you are absolutely normal for feeling the way you do. A good 'pet parent' will feel this way; as though our pets are our family....because they are! I can't say I understand how you feel, because I havent experienced this...but I do know that I love my two poodles so much so as if they were my daughter and son and have cried at the mere thought of them no longer being with me in the future.

Take as much time as you need to grieve and cherish the memories of your beloved pup. I'll be praying for your strength and peace. :flowerforyou:
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    i'm so sorry for your loss it made me cry and remember my cats that passed away a couple of years ago. the vet sent me this poem that i want to share. it was good for me during my sad times

The Rainbow Bridge
    Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies
    that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm
    and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health
    and vigour; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again,
    just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and
    looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers.
    Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs
    carrying him faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your
    special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again.

The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head,
    and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your
    life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together

Author unknown
  • Ohjeezitskim
    Ohjeezitskim Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry about your loss.. It hurts for a while, the pain subsides after a while but the memory is still there.

When I lost my cat that I adopted (he was a stray) he got hit by a car and I was crushed.. devastated. He was the first pet that I could actually call my own, and he was such a good cat for being a stray. I didn't go to school the next day because I was so upset. A month later my mom bought me a kitten, a fluffy orange kitten. That was 6 years ago, he's my baby! I love him to pieces!
  • princesspeach577
    princesspeach577 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss :(

I was devastated when I had to put down my cat. I had him from childhood all the way into my 20s. I still miss him. Just take one day at a time. It is hard to believe, but the pain eventually subsides. Try to take care of yourself and force yourself to do something enjoyable everyday (watch a movie, take a long bath...anything). I'm sorry that I don't have better advice. Wishing you the best.
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Absolutly!!! I had to put my baby girl Lucy Jane down last Oct 9th...she was 16 years old but will always be in my heart. I wrote a poem just between me and her....it helped...google some others for a start...

I now have a baby boy Jerry...he is VERY VERY VERY different but I love him...like children...they are all different but worth loving...

Hugs your way

xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh..our pets are our babies! I am so very sorry as I know that kind of hurt. :brokenheart: I would rather have a tender heart and hurt than someone who is cold hearted and could care less. In my opinion, your grief is very normal. {{{hugs}}} to you :heart:
  • Annette_rose
    Annette_rose Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    i'm so sorry for your loss it made me cry and remember my cats that passed away a couple of years ago. the vet sent me this poem that i want to share. it was good for me during my sad times

The Rainbow Bridge
    Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies
    that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm
    and comfortable. All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health
    and vigour; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again,
    just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and
    looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers.
    Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs
    carrying him faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your
    special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again.

The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head,
    and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your
    life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together

Author unknown

This is beautiful and very touching. Thanks for sharing