coffee, coffee, coffee

Options
coffee seems to be the topic of the day on a few posts

so just a few thoughts......

Is there really 1 calorie per cup of coffee if its drank black with no sugar?

How many people chart that 1 calorie?

How many of us survive the diet just because we live on coffee as a replacement to food?

Replies

• ebouchie
    ebouchie Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I drink two cups (large cups) black with no sugar per day. I do occasionally have another in mid afternoon if I need energy boost and can't go for walk. I Have never logged it except to count towards my water tracking. I have lost 54 lbs.
  • fi_b
    fi_b Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I don't bother tracking my coffee because I take it black with no sugar. But I also leave out some leafy green vegetables - celery, peppers and the such.

I am a little concerned about replacing food with coffee though... Is this something that you do?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I don't log coffee but I log the milk I put in it.

I don't drink coffee as a food replacement.
  • superhockeymom
    superhockeymom Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    I log coffee because I do cream and sweet n low. 1 cup for breakfast and one as my afternoon snack. Totally cuts my appetite and gives me the afternoon energy I need to finish the work day.
  • MariliaPa
    MariliaPa Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have my coffee black & don't log it. Come on, loggin 1 calorie for coffee? That's just silly.
    And yes, a lot of times I'll use coffee to get me through a long day and help with hunger pains but it only keeps hunger at bay for a while until I can have actual food.
  • kahicky
    kahicky Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I drink alot of black coffee and unsweetend hot tea, there very good for releaving stress so i dont count them. There essential to my daily funtion
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I never log my coffee. I *DO* log the milk that I put into my coffee :)

I've recently bought a very posh coffee machine with pods - I've noticed the calories in my Cappucino's are quite substantial so I'll always log those.
  • teresadutton
    teresadutton Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I don't log coffee and I drink a lot of it. Usually between 4 and 6 cups a day. I prob do use it to replace food.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I drink mine with milk and just log it as coffee with whole milk. I log everything, even with zero calories, so I can see if I have any sudden wierdness that happens, I can look back to see if it might be something I ate or drank. I try and buy new stuff all the time, so it's just for record keeping purposes.

Coffee gets me through the morning and I normally don't eat until noon, 1:00, something like that.
  • CharlotteALC93
    CharlotteALC93 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have coffee with milk and sweetener so I do log it. But yes I drink it a lot through the day because I just love a nice tasty hot cup of coffee and it takes the edge off of cravings :)
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I only log my breakfast coffees [2] because I have a splash of milk in them. My black coffees I don't log and it has not impacted on my weight loss. I don't use black coffee as a food substitute because I need all the nutrients I can get.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I log my coffees and the milk in them - I have an entry worked out which is the worst case scenario for calories, so I feel safe using it.

Milk is what sweetens my coffee so I struggle to take it black. If not for this, I would drink more than 3 cups a day.

I take my tea black without sugar but still log it.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Ahh . . yes. Coffee is the first thing I think of when I just want . . . something. It satisfies me much more than most foods.

I don't log calories in black coffee. I do log the calories in the half and half and Splenda I use.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Black coffee is my saviour when I want a low fat hot chocolate last thing at night and haven't got the calories for it - luckily it doesn't affect my sleep.
  • GillianSmith2
    GillianSmith2 Posts: 387 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

I am a little concerned about replacing food with coffee though... Is this something that you do?[/quote]

I only use coffee to replace food if I feel the need to have something warm and comforting on the dark cold evenings. Its so nice to sit all wrapped up with a steaming cuppa in my hands.

I am however a bit of a coffee nut the rest of the day anyway ;)
  • fi_b
    fi_b Posts: 121 Member
    Options

I only use coffee to replace food if I feel the need to have something warm and comforting on the dark cold evenings. Its so nice to sit all wrapped up with a steaming cuppa in my hands.

Ok, that's a little different then. I was worried you were talking about skipping meals and just having a coffee instead. My sister does this, it drives me insane - she wonders why she doesn't get results!
  • GillianSmith2
    GillianSmith2 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    fi_b wrote: »

Ok, that's a little different then. I was worried you were talking about skipping meals and just having a coffee instead. My sister does this, it drives me insane - she wonders why she doesn't get results!

Oh no I could never do that. I like my food to much... that's why I'm here hahaha;)
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I use coffee all the time as a "go to" when I want to consume something but don't want to spend any calories.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I log coffee, but only because its part of what keeps me routine in my logging. I do it first thing when I sit down with my first cup, and I think it keeps me focused on my goal for the day. I'm not normally this programmed or neurotic, but its worked for me. Coffee is a constant, so my logging is a constant. Going on 460 days of logging.
  • lalayuuki
    lalayuuki Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I drink my coffee with a dash of milk and only log the milk.

I use coffee to "replace food" in that I used to eat/drink habitually through the day without truly being hungry. I find coffee is a good way to curb more emotional cravings, but it's not something I would try to use as a replacement for food when I am legitimately feeling hungry.