This Cannot Be Right....

Options
Today is week 5 of being on my macro plan and lifting 3 times a week. When I first started, I used a hand held device to calculate my body fat percentage. I took it at 7 pm, and earlier in the day I had 2 cups of coffee and obviously ate all my meals. It said I was at 25.3% body fat. Fast forward to this morning, when I hadn't drank coffee all weekend, and didn't eat 12 hours prior to the 5:15 AM test. The trainer put these sticky pads on me and hooked me up to a machine. The machine said I was 30.4%! I retook the hand held device test and it said I was 25.5% -- I just don't understand... I'm eating within my macros every single day, lifting 3 times a week, and doing my cardio days.

I know I shouldn't be so focused on a number because I can totally tell that my body weight and body fat percentage has gone down. I'm feeling better than ever, but I am completely frustrated by this. What gives!?

Replies

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    both of those devices are wildly inaccurate - and to be comparing between two different devices at two different times of the day is even crazier. just keep doing what you are doing (with diet and exercise) and give it some more time.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    those machines are rubbish at the best of times. You are better off looking on-line for BF% pictures and going off of those.
    I know there is a good one for men, not sure about a woman's version though
  • ainarsraciks
    ainarsraciks Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Different devices will show different results because they have different accuracy levels. Also, during the day you will drink water, lose water cos of exercise, get bloated because of eating, etc which all effects it. For the most accurate results you need to use only one device and measure at the same time of day, with having same amounts and types of food and water in you.

In either case, why even bother with it? It's such a useless number. All it does is makes you frustrated and contributes absolutely zero to your fitness progress. Use the mirror.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    The devices are terrible independently and beyond terrible when you try to compare across devices.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I agree. Brain bleach those numbers away & carry on!