Which fitness tracker?

Options
cerise_noir
cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
edited November 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi!

I am looking into getting a fitness tracker that is right for me. I've looked at both the moov and Jawbone up move so far. Basically, I am after a fitness tracker that will monitor heart rate and give me an idea of how many calories I burn during resistance training/body weight exercises, some cardio (kickboxing). I'm not really looking for a pedometer, but I wouldn't mind if the device had one.

Are any of the above suitable for my needs? Any suggestions?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hi!

I am looking into getting a fitness tracker that is right for me. I've looked at both the moov and Jawbone up move so far. Basically, I am after a fitness tracker that will monitor heart rate and give me an idea of how many calories I burn during resistance training/body weight exercises, some cardio (kickboxing). I'm not really looking for a pedometer, but I wouldn't mind if the device had one.

Are any of the above suitable for my needs? Any suggestions?

Heart rate monitors (HRMs) are designed for steady state cardio, it may help with kickboxing somewhat. Strength training....nope.

You're going to get a pedometer....that's a given. Your activity level will be based on steps. HRMs aren't designed for 24/7 use.

There must be a Jawbone group.......here is the FitBit one (look at the Charge comments & info): http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • cerise_noir
    Options
    Oh, I see! Thank you for your reply.

Is there any way I can estimate calories burned during non cardio work outs? I ask as I would like to find out how many calories I burn combining both workouts so that I can log... either add calories to my normal intake (if using MFP) or take a certain number of calories off (if I am using eg, IIFYM calculator) when I am not working out. Does that make any sense?

I will definitely check out that group. Thanks again, @TeaBea :)
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit charge, the Charge HM comes with a heart rate monitor. I don't think you will be able to accurately log the burn associated with most strength training.
  • TammyLML
    TammyLML Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I've got the Fitbit Charge HR as well and love it! :smile: As with the others, you're not going to get much of a calorie burn with weight training, though you can set it to record activity and since it tracks your heart rate, you might be able to get some sort of caloric translation from that. Good luck! :smiley:
  • JenDetermined
    JenDetermined Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    There is one by B1Basis, there is one by TomTom. There are now some by Garmin both with and without GPS. Keep looking!
  • ROWDYRIDER99
    ROWDYRIDER99 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use the Under Armor App and the Gear Fit wearable by Samsung that bluetooths with my Samsung S5 Active phoe. It has a heart rate monitor (though you have to stand still). Under Armor can track lots of types of workouts. It also syncs with MFP.
  • cerise_noir
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I forgot to mention that the resistance training is circuit training style. Would that make a difference?
    I love my fitbit charge, the Charge HM comes with a heart rate monitor. I don't think you will be able to accurately log the burn associated with most strength training.
    Thank you. :) I do see that now! :) I honestly had no idea that resistance/weight training wasn't tracked via Hrm! It should have clicked for me... I knew there wasn't much calorie burn with weights/resistance. I'm slow. ;)
    TammyLML wrote: »
    I've got the Fitbit Charge HR as well and love it! :smile: As with the others, you're not going to get much of a calorie burn with weight training, though you can set it to record activity and since it tracks your heart rate, you might be able to get some sort of caloric translation from that. Good luck! :smiley:
    This activity record feature sounds very interesting! I have to admit, I am curious to see how many calories I burn during the day, and the sleep tracking feature has me intrigued.

There is one by B1Basis, there is one by TomTom. There are now some by Garmin both with and without GPS. Keep looking!
    I just checked those out! They're very good trackers, but I am not sure if I can afford them. :/ I will definitely keep them in mind, and will continue to look, thank you.
    I use the Under Armor App and the Gear Fit wearable by Samsung that bluetooths with my Samsung S5 Active phoe. It has a heart rate monitor (though you have to stand still). Under Armor can track lots of types of workouts. It also syncs with MFP.
    The Gear Fit looks great! Thank you for this suggestion. :)

• lilacmeddow
    lilacmeddow Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just got my Moov yesterday. Haven't had a chance to do much but sleep wit hit on but I'm going to try a workout with it tonight. If you want I can come back and post a bit more after I have a chance to put it through the paces.
    https://moov.cc/getmoov/A127B34521
  • 2katlover
    2katlover Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am just starting out with this so I got me the Fitbit Zip. Didn't want to spend a lot of money and then not use it. So far I have used it and I like it. I keep it clipped on at all times (except taking a shower). I clip it to my bra but am wondering if I should clip it to my shoe or pant leg when I do videos and my stationary bike.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,164 Member
    Options
    I just got my Moov yesterday. Haven't had a chance to do much but sleep wit hit on but I'm going to try a workout with it tonight. If you want I can come back and post a bit more after I have a chance to put it through the paces.

I am still waiting for mine. When did you pre-order? I didn't until the end of August and I know the shipping times are related to when a person pre-ordered.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    The Polar A360 just came out. It's a HRM that goes on your wrist. And Polar is known for the HRM accuracy. Actually, it can be pre-ordered. I believe they'll be shipping in the next few days.
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    Options

I am still waiting for mine. When did you pre-order? I didn't until the end of August and I know the shipping times are related to when a person pre-ordered.

I ordered mine Sept. 19th and it shipped Nov. 10th. Have not received it, but it may be waiting for me at home.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Bakins929 wrote: »

I ordered mine Sept. 19th and it shipped Nov. 10th. Have not received it, but it may be waiting for me at home.

Mine shipped on the 11th.
  • cerise_noir
    Options
    Absolutely. Very helpful, thanks!

I basically do 20 mins kickboxing and around 30 minutes of circuit training (combined cardio and body weight exercises).
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Bakins929 wrote: »

Mine shipped on the 11th.

When I got home, it was waiting for me in the mailbox! Yay!
    It's much smaller than I thought it would be.
  • eiyeir
    eiyeir Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just got the MOOV NOW and current user of FITBIT and FITNESS PAL, MOOV now is great a personal coach, push you on walks, running, biking, someone that goes with you and really push you recommendations, after one week I have improved my daily walks with metrics.

If you are looking to see if the MOOV NOW to replace FITBIT I will say NO, it is a complement l, I use FITBIT HR for steps, HR, calories burned, burned va eaten, Water drank, and link with Fitness Pal; MOOV to improve activities walking, running , swimming, outdoor biking, waiting for the spinning program on MOOV and better on FITBIT for Automatic Sleep Log,

Love my two GADGETS FITBIT & MOOV NOW and three Apps.

If you are looking to improve your health and lose weight, try also DIET BET to set and reach goals and YES Earn MONEY in the process.

Cheers

• rileysowner
    Options
    My Moov Now has been processed through Canadian customs. That probably means it will arrive early next week.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    eiyeir wrote: »
    I just got the MOOV NOW and current user of FITBIT and FITNESS PAL, MOOV now is great a personal coach, push you on walks, running, biking, someone that goes with you and really push you recommendations, after one week I have improved my daily walks with metrics.

If you are looking to see if the MOOV NOW to replace FITBIT I will say NO, it is a complement l, I use FITBIT HR for steps, HR, calories burned, burned va eaten, Water drank, and link with Fitness Pal; MOOV to improve activities walking, running , swimming, outdoor biking, waiting for the spinning program on MOOV and better on FITBIT for Automatic Sleep Log,

Love my two GADGETS FITBIT & MOOV NOW and three Apps.

If you are looking to improve your health and lose weight, try also DIET BET to set and reach goals and YES Earn MONEY in the process.

Cheers

Hopefully Moov Now gets linked to MFP.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    And Polar is known for the HRM accuracy.

Whilst Polar probably have the most effectiv ECG based HR monitoring they're developing a proprietary sensor for their move into optical measurement. The jury is out on whether they've cracked it. TomTom and Garmin both licence the MIO optical technology, which has been maturing over the last three years or so.

• erianswilliams
    erianswilliams Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I looked into getting a Fitbit but they are kind of expensive. The only thing I'm looking for is calories burned during crossfit workout. So I ordered a polar watch. It all depends on what you are trying to track.