Had dessert in range but scared I'll gain weight.

Options
I had a healthy dinner a decided I would have half a slice of pie but I ended up having more and I feel like I'm going to gain weight. This is shortly before bed what if the calories pack on? Worried

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Log it and forget it :) Tomorrow is a new day
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    If it's within your calorie range, what are you concerned about? Honestly, there are certain foods that will create some water retention (ham does it for me every time, high sodium). I have never noticed this with pie though. So even if the scale shows a jump in the morning, it won't be true gain. Log it, and try to be less scared of eating within your calorie goals. Meal timing is irrelevant, unless you find you need to go to bed on an empty/full stomach.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    If its within your range, you will not gain.
    Think about this- how would you possibly gain weight if you didn't eat at a surplus ????
    Why would you gain because you ate pie within your calorie range before bed ?? See how that sounds ?!
    You'll be fine. Remember- weight loss comes down to calories in - calories out.
    To lose weight - calorie deficit
    Gain weight- calorie surplus

Eating pie within range before bed makes no difference. Its about calories.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,574 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Are you going to live your whole life afraid to eat a piece of pie before bed? It's within your maintenance. You're fine.
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    A lot of people stay away from eating after a certain time at night because the metabolism does operate on a schedule. But I would say the biggest danger is, once you have eaten that piece of pie - does the rest of the pie call out to you? If not, in the long run you have nothing to worry about. You may not metabolize it right away but in the long run it should work out fine.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    1. If it's in your maintenance range, you're not going to gain.
    2. Even if you went outside maintenance, the pounds are not going to "pack on." It takes 3500 calories to gain ONE pound. The slice of pie was probably a few hundred calories.
    3. You can't be afraid to go over maintenance every single day for the rest of your life. Some days you will be over maintenance, some days under. As long as it evens out and you aren't going over maintenance every single day, you're fine.
    4. Relax and enjoy your life - and the pie :)
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    gain weight? how many calories was the dessert ? 3500? thats the only way you would have gained weight
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    This fear of eating can lead to a different type of eating disorder. So enjoy the pie. If you gain, it's likely due to higher glycogen storage and water weight. Normal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jelenacrnic
    jelenacrnic Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem sometimes. Just yesterday i was at the birthday party and i ate a little bit of everything that was there. When i counted cal.for whole day i was maybe at 1500 cal. Im not trying to lose weight but to maintain. So i know it's not a big deal. I have one day in every week "cheat day" when i eat one meal that i want how much i want. I was doing that since forever and i didnt gain weight. But i understandyou sometimes i panic so much too lol. Don't worry :smiley:
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    My husband and I sometimes split a whole pie for dinner. I'm still losing weight. We eat ice cream on our half-a-pie, too. I can't even guarantee that I stay under my calories on those days, but I don't think I go very far over. You'll be fine.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    mxchana wrote: »
    A lot of people stay away from eating after a certain time at night because the metabolism does operate on a schedule.
    No, your metabolism doesn't punch a time clock. It's always working for you. ;)
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Pie before bed, and within your calorie goal?

Sounds like you're winning here, to be honest.
    You don't gain weight because you ate right before going to sleep, and maintenance will naturally consist of days where we eat under and over goal anyway.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I had a healthy dinner a decided I would have half a slice of pie but I ended up having more and I feel like I'm going to gain weight. This is shortly before bed what if the calories pack on? Worried

Even if you went over your calorie goal by 3,500 calories, the most you would gain is one pound. I don't think your extra pie is even close to that.
    log it and move on.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem sometimes. Just yesterday i was at the birthday party and i ate a little bit of everything that was there. When i counted cal.for whole day i was maybe at 1500 cal. Im not trying to lose weight but to maintain. So i know it's not a big deal. I have one day in every week "cheat day" when i eat one meal that i want how much i want. I was doing that since forever and i didnt gain weight. But i understandyou sometimes i panic so much too lol. Don't worry :smiley:

You maintain at less than 1500 calories? How was that a cheat if you're within your calorie goal?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

ninerbuff wrote: »
    This fear of eating can lead to a different type of eating disorder. So enjoy the pie. If you gain, it's likely due to higher glycogen storage and water weight. Normal.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

agree.

OP if you are 'afraid' that one slice of pie is going to make you gain weight, then you may need to reassess your relationship with food.

A lot of people in maintenance find it helpful to have a maintenance rage of +/- five pounds as weight tends to fluctuate, so as long as your weight does not exceed your maintenance range you will be fine.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Have you failed to pay attention to the information you've been provided in your numerous other threads? It seems so based on this latest one.
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    If it's within your calorie range, what are you concerned about? Honestly, there are certain foods that will create some water retention (ham does it for me every time, high sodium). I have never noticed this with pie though. So even if the scale shows a jump in the morning, it won't be true gain. Log it, and try to be less scared of eating within your calorie goals. Meal timing is irrelevant, unless you find you need to go to bed on an empty/full stomach.

also "OP if you are 'afraid' that one slice of pie is going to make you gain weight, then you may need to reassess your relationship with food."

what nutmegoreo said. as long as you are in your calorie range and am not doing this everyday, stop worrying.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I've lost 75 pounds eating desserts every single day. Sometimes multiple desserts and often at 9 pm. You'll be ok
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Have you failed to pay attention to the information you've been provided in your numerous other threads? It seems so based on this latest one.

I was just going to mention this...