The truth about exercise and weight loss.

Options
This is such an interesting article I found on WebMD today. Pay close attention to #4.

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/exercise-and-weight-loss-five-truths

E.

Replies

• daisymaegreen
    daisymaegreen Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    good one. thanks!
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    #4 especially important.... Hence why I don't eat back workout calories.
  • willimh
    willimh Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I will check it out
  • wan2b21
    wan2b21 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Good info in there!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    This is such an interesting article I found on WebMD today. Pay close attention to #4.

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/exercise-and-weight-loss-five-truths

E.

And #3. I hear a lot on here about weekly "cheat days". Weekly doesn't seem like "in moderation".
  • babyalex124
    Options
    ooooh never thought of that! we do burn calories when we are not working out. so I need to calculate the EXTRA calories I burned while working out.

another great point mentioned is that we tend to overestimate exercise by 30% and underestimate how much we eat by 30%.

thanks for sharing!!
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Absolutely excellent! Thanks for posting.

I am really going to look into not eating but maybe half my exercise calories...ugghhh some days I convince myself to eat every bit of it and others I have way too many left...
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    #4 especially important.... Hence why I don't eat back workout calories.
    Wow...you have already lost one Olsen twin, you looking to get rid of both of them huh...Great job.
  • agingwithfitness
    agingwithfitness Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Great article, with all of the computers, movies, games, and other sit down activities even reading we need to move more!
  • lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Good article. Thank you for sharing.
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    That's why Heart Rate Monitors are so popular.
  • DancinSMartiPants
    Options
    Thanks!
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Great post with lots of good information.
  • FitCoachJen
    FitCoachJen Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Regarding # 4: I've done informal experiments to test how accurate the machine readout is compared to my hear rate monitor (which uses my age, gender, height, weight, and MHR). The stair climber and upright bike are comparable to what my monitor tells me, but the elliptical and treadmill are horribly off. The elliptical is the worst. It'll say I've burned 800+ calories in an hour when it's really 40-50% less than that.

If you list your activity level as sedentary, I think it's OK count your calories burned and eat them back. For me it's absolutely necessary considering the intensity and time I spend working out.
  • kenlad64
    kenlad64 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this! I may just apply the strategy of using the number of calories I burn on the machine just as a motivator and something to strive to increase, .... but allow myself to eat back HALF the calories that the machine says I burn as a reward, .... after all I love to eat....
  • HotSouthernMess
    HotSouthernMess Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    i never thought about subtracting the amount of calories you would be burning just sitting from what you burned while you exercised. makes sense though. and the machines are always low for me (according to my hrm). they will say i burned 300 calories when my hrm says 500. i dont eat back my calories for this reason. whether i work out or not...i know that 1200 calories go in to my body each day. its so hard to be sure whats accurate and whats not. but the point it made about leading a healthier lifestyle with both food AND exercising is the best way to go about this. it is a lifestyle, not a diet. thanks for posting!
  • genie98
    genie98 Posts: 62
    Options
    Bump