I need to go low carb, and I want to cry.

Options
:'(
No exaggeration. I am near tears over this, but I really need to go low carb for medical reasons (PCOS). I tried low carb a few years ago and had great success, but hated every minute of it and then gained the weight back. I love carbs and sugar and this is going to be a HUGE transition for me. HUGE. I am really going to have to change my whole way of thinking. It feels impossible.

I don't think I am ever going to be one of those people that goes extremely low carb, I am thinking more like 60-80 g a day as a goal. But, considering I am currently close to double or more than that in a day, it's a big change.

I know the first 2 weeks will be absolute hell. I am prepared for that (I think). I just am trying to come to terms with the fact that this is really going to have to be my life. I always hoped I would be able to lose this weight while still enjoying my treats. I want to be able to be a CICO or IIFYM type person. I could handle that. But low carb just makes me sad.

I know this sounds crazy to most, but for a person that has enjoyed carbs and sugar basically their entire life and looks forward to them, this is a really tough pill to swallow.

I just had to vent/mope. I know what I have to do, I just need to move towards acceptance.

Replies

• lgtijerina
    lgtijerina Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I too am doing a low carb diet. I have found recipes for almond flour for both cookies and cakes, and believe it our not they are actually quite good and keep me on track for carbs. Good luck with your journey.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    With some work, LC can be a lot of fun and still yummy. If you're looking for support, try http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group Stellar group of people.

Also, LC doesn't negate CICO, if you need to lose. Hey, I just had LC pumpkin spice pancakes last night for dinner. So awesome. The recipes are out there.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I totally get it. It will be tough and it will suck for a while. But you can do it! If it's for your health, you've got to figure out a way.
    A lot of people will jump all over my next comment but anytime you have to give up something that has been a major part of every day for you in like forever, it is tough.
    People every day have to figure out how to continue on without alcohol or cigarettes or whatever is sacrificing their health. And they figure it out. Sometimes it takes several tries but you will figure it out!! Just grumble and be mad like you should be today, then wake up tomorrow and formulate a plan. You GOT THIS!!
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I've tried low carb many times before and gave up after about two days. After quitting I ate carbs as if I'd been deprived of it for years.

This time around I'm having a much easier time and I'm not sure why. The key is to find low-carb foods you like. Use Pinterest to get meal ideas. There are so many meals that don't involve carbs, you'd be suprised. I've given up sugar, dairy and starches and still find a way to enjoy my meals.

Low carb will encourage you to be creative, especially at breakfast. A lot of people fall off the wagon because they get bored with eggs, bacon, etc. You don't have to eat "breakfast food" for breakfast, sometimes I eat a salad.

60-80 carbs a day gives you a bit of flexibility so you can still have a serving of pasta or so during a meal. But to stay in that range you have to love water due to all the carbs in sweetened drinks.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Did your dr give you a sample diet, or were youjust told to limit carbs? And if it was as generic as limit carbs, is it supposed to be low carb, or counting carbs as a diabetic would?
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    I don't have to do LC, but I totally get where you are coming from, and I feel for you. You have some good advice here. I think you have to allow yourself to get good and mad, pouty, pissy, whatever. For me, it helps me move on to the next place. You'll get there. You will have to replace some things that you'll miss. Over time (probably a loooong time), you'll miss them less. Or you'll treat yourself and feel like crap, so it will be longer between "treats."

Hang in there. You can do this. One day at a time. One meat at a time. Whatever it takes. Just keep going.
    Big hugs to you. :heart:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ki4eld wrote: »
    With some work, LC can be a lot of fun and still yummy. If you're looking for support, try http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group Stellar group of people.

Also, LC doesn't negate CICO, if you need to lose. Hey, I just had LC pumpkin spice pancakes last night for dinner. So awesome. The recipes are out there.

Join this group. AWESOME folks of all carb levels there. You can do this.

ps: I just made keto brownies (I'm not keto) and they were AWESOME.
  • Emily3907
    Emily3907 Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I know it is doable, I just need to start planning.

Basically, my doctor is concerned with more Low GI, which pretty much translates to low carb. For now, he told me to just start making swaps like whole wheat pasta for the white pasta, not to eat as many potatoes, etc. Nothing extreme, he just wants me to ease into it and try to stay under 80 g a day. His concern was mainly added sugars and simple carbs. He told me at this point there is no reason to cut out fruit, since I struggle to eat fruits/veggies anyways.

So basically, I am supposed to cut out the overly processed stuff, added sugars and simple carbs. He wants to see what kind of progress I can make with that and then in February we are going to re group and he then may refer me to a reproductive endo.

This has all stemmed from me previously being diagnosed as insulin resistant, having 2 miscarriages and having trouble conceiving. My A1C has been in the healthy range for the past 6 years so he does not think I have a major problem....yet. But, we are trying to avoid going back into the hyperinsulinemia ranges.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    You don't need to give up all of your carb foods, you just need to learn how to cook and bake differently. Yes, convenience sugar and carb foods that your you buy in a package are probably out now. Store bought breads, muffins, candies, and desserts won't fit your macros well but you can make substitutes. It's just a bit of work.

Instead of sugar, use stevia or a sugar alcohol like xylitol in all recipes. You'll get used to them even if you don't love them now. Most powdered sugars have sugar or simple carbs added as fillers and are not good options. This weekend I had about 6 piceces of sugar free pumpkin and chocolate cheesecakes that I baked and I don't think it exceeded 18 g of carbs.

Look up recipes for fat bombs which are some of the tastiest LCHF treats out there.

It's a medical need, like taking medicine. You'll need to put in the time to make this WOE work for you since failure is not an option if you want to be well. No, it definitely isn't fair. I wouldn't have switched to very LCHF if I didn't have to, but keep an open mind. Within a few weeks I was feeling so much better I couldn't understand why I hadn't done it sooner. And cheating? Make myself feel bad for a 10 minutes with a cinnabon? Ha! No way! It's not worth it anymore.

Last night I craved a crunchy snack so I ate porkrinds with a really good cheese dip instead of nachos and cheese. Yum.

The first week will be hard because your glycogen will get low. You may be tired and weak. Just remember that it will pass.

To make it easier on yourself make sure you increas sodium to at least 3000mg, preferably closer to 5000mg. LCHF causes water weight loss which will deplete your electrolytes. Add salt to your food, maybe your water, and have a cup of broth on most days as you start out. If you feel poorly (headaches, tired, achey and sick feeling) you may need more salt, potassium and magnesium.

Your carb levels might be in a tough spot too. With carbs of 60-80g per day you will be slipping in, and possibly out of ketosis. That 50-100g carb level can keep some people in the keto flu for weeks. Some find they feel better if carbs are below 50g (carb cravings seem to usually disappear at that level too) or above 100g. It may not happen to you, but stay aware of that just in case.

I second checking out the LCD group. They are fantastic.

Good luck.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    Thanks for the encouragement everyone! I know it is doable, I just need to start planning.

Basically, my doctor is concerned with more Low GI, which pretty much translates to low carb. For now, he told me to just start making swaps like whole wheat pasta for the white pasta, not to eat as many potatoes, etc. Nothing extreme, he just wants me to ease into it and try to stay under 80 g a day. His concern was mainly added sugars and simple carbs. He told me at this point there is no reason to cut out fruit, since I struggle to eat fruits/veggies anyways.

So basically, I am supposed to cut out the overly processed stuff, added sugars and simple carbs. He wants to see what kind of progress I can make with that and then in February we are going to re group and he then may refer me to a reproductive endo.

This has all stemmed from me previously being diagnosed as insulin resistant, having 2 miscarriages and having trouble conceiving. My A1C has been in the healthy range for the past 6 years so he does not think I have a major problem....yet. But, we are trying to avoid going back into the hyperinsulinemia ranges.

Low GI doesn't necessarily mean low carb. But yes, 80 grams a day is low carb. Cutting back on the refined carbs while still eating fruits is pretty doable!
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Emily3907 wrote: »
    :'(
    No exaggeration. I am near tears over this, but I really need to go low carb for medical reasons (PCOS). I tried low carb a few years ago and had great success, but hated every minute of it and then gained the weight back. I love carbs and sugar and this is going to be a HUGE transition for me. HUGE. I am really going to have to change my whole way of thinking. It feels impossible.

I don't think I am ever going to be one of those people that goes extremely low carb, I am thinking more like 60-80 g a day as a goal. But, considering I am currently close to double or more than that in a day, it's a big change.

I know the first 2 weeks will be absolute hell. I am prepared for that (I think). I just am trying to come to terms with the fact that this is really going to have to be my life. I always hoped I would be able to lose this weight while still enjoying my treats. I want to be able to be a CICO or IIFYM type person. I could handle that. But low carb just makes me sad.

I know this sounds crazy to most, but for a person that has enjoyed carbs and sugar basically their entire life and looks forward to them, this is a really tough pill to swallow.

I just had to vent/mope. I know what I have to do, I just need to move towards acceptance.

The issue with all this is your mindset to the challenge at hand. You need to be more positive and have a better outlook on your situation and it will be better!! Stop dreading the next 2 weeks and look forward to all the positive changes that will come with this.

If you set yourself up for success you will succeed! if you sit there and worry and dread everything you wont succeed and if you do then you wont enjoy your success.
  • ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Actually, contrary to what some (including many clinicians) say, lo-carb is not necessarily a panacea in all or in part for PCOS issues - even, overweight. Studies have show that, for some, it might be the answer to their problem but, for others, it might do nothing.

And... as with all things, however, when you make any drastic lifestyle changes moderation is the key. Start slowly. Don't jump in headfirst. Take your time and reduce your consumption of carbs and anything else gradually. In fact, cutting the sugars and carbs out of your diet a bit at a time, might show you just how truly easy it can be and far less of a challenge --- or punishment --- than you think.

Bottom line, though, you've got a lot of friends and support both here and in your 'other' life. So don't be afraid ot lean on your friends when you need to.

Good luck.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    can you get referred to a dietician? when my dad was diagnosed with Type II, everyone and their mother was telling him he had to low carb...tried it...he was miserable...finally went in to see a dietician and they basically gave him a plan that moderated his carb intake and balanced out his diet and they showed him how to make better nutritional choices as to what carbs he was eating. he was able to quite easily manage his type II while eating a healthy, well balanced diet with moderate carbohydrate intake.
  • Emily3907
    Options
    ReeseG4350 wrote: »
    Actually, contrary to what some (including many clinicians) say, lo-carb is not necessarily a panacea in all or in part for PCOS issues - even, overweight. Studies have show that, for some, it might be the answer to their problem but, for others, it might do nothing.

And... as with all things, however, when you make any drastic lifestyle changes moderation is the key. Start slowly. Don't jump in headfirst. Take your time and reduce your consumption of carbs and anything else gradually. In fact, cutting the sugars and carbs out of your diet a bit at a time, might show you just how truly easy it can be and far less of a challenge --- or punishment --- than you think.

Bottom line, though, you've got a lot of friends and support both here and in your 'other' life. So don't be afraid ot lean on your friends when you need to.

Good luck.

This was my doctor's suggestion. He said to try and ease into it and not go completely cold turkey. For example, I am currently around 120-160 carbs a day (some days are higher), so his suggestion was to try and eliminate about 20 -30 g a day for a week, and then eliminate another 20-30 g a day until I get closer to the range we agreed on. He thinks that will help my mindset about it as well, so I think I am going to try this approach.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options
    Low GI isn't necessarily low carb, I think you need to perhaps research some more, here for an example is a comparison of low, moderate and high GI foods you will find high carb foods across all three ranges:

http://www.lowgihealth.com.au/glycemic-index-list-of-foods/
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you have this diagnosis. Consider what you can accomplish with portion control. Have your treats, but a smaller portion and less frequently than you are used to.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't eat low-carb, but do eat low-fat and my best advice is to focus on what you can have and making that as good as it can be. Look at the positives, not he negatives. It makes everything easier.

Good luck on your new diet. :)
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Have you been struggling to lose weight with just calorie restriction or is the low carb for something other than weight loss?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    can you get referred to a dietician? when my dad was diagnosed with Type II, everyone and their mother was telling him he had to low carb...tried it...he was miserable...finally went in to see a dietician and they basically gave him a plan that moderated his carb intake and balanced out his diet and they showed him how to make better nutritional choices as to what carbs he was eating. he was able to quite easily manage his type II while eating a healthy, well balanced diet with moderate carbohydrate intake.

This. Many people do moderate carb when they have insulin issues; I've never heard that low carb is mandated. And you can definitely do low GI without going as low as 80g of carbs a day. I would also recommend a registered dietitian with experience working with PCOS individuals.
  • Emily3907
    Options
    My doctor recommended the book "Sugar Busters" as a guide for eating. I am going to get that. We did talk about a dietician, but due to insurance issues (husband changing job and our benefits are kinda goofy until the new year) we are going to hold off on that for now. Plus, I may be referred to a reproductive endo in February and the one we discussed has a dietician on staff.