100 Day Low Carb Challange

Options
For all of you who want to try a low carb diet- and that means no carbage (carb/garbage) either! For example, store bought cookies, crackers, twinkies or basically anything highly processed. This also includes all white bread, pastas, rice, etc. Let's also stay away from candy, ice cream, and light chocolate, since sugar is extremely carb-dense and carries no nutritional value.

I shoot for low carb because I tend to stay fuller for much longer stretches of time, it helps prevent bloating and discomfort, and it keeps me from getting 'sugar highs' and burnouts.
My goal will be under 100g per day of carbs, coming mostly from fruits and veggies.

How about you? Why do you want to try low carb, and what are your goals for the 100 day challenge?

Let's discuss questions and start this in a few days' time :)

Replies

• Stardust620
    Stardust620 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm about to start a low-carb eating plan myself. I did it once back in college (about 12 years ago - eesh!) and was pretty successful. I lost 30 pounds in 3 months and I looked and felt great! Unfortunately, I wasn't smart about it and couldn't sustain the way I was eating. I didn't have the knowledge and self discipline to live in the "maintenance" phase of this lifestyle, plus I was (still am) super lazy, so I gained it all back and more. Now, however, I'm really eager to get back into shape. I know low-carb eating works for me, and works quickly. My boyfriend is also on board, and he is diabetic, so I think this is a good idea for him, too. This time, I'm more prepared to put in the work it takes to maintain this long-term (I hope), and I plan to be smarter about what I eat - lower fat, more veggies, less artificial sugar, etc. I also plan to start working out a lot more than I did the first time around - although my schedule will make that difficult for a few weeks, yet. I'm hoping to find some friends who are doing the same thing so we can support each other and share stories, recipes, tips, etc. Ultimately, I'd like to lose 80 pounds. I know it will take time and hard work, but if I can do it, it will be so worth it. Looking forward to meeting more people like me!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to increase your sodium intake. Those going very low carb (below 50g) will need 3000-5000 mg of sodium. Drinking broth and salting all food, or even some water, will help you get enough.

You'll know you are low is you start feeling poorly: headaches, fatigue, achy.

Increased potassium ad magnesium can help too, especially if your Na gets low.

Don't be afraid of healthy fats. When you eliminate carbs you'll have to replace the calories with something. Most people are getting the right amount of protein so fat has to increase. Nuts, avocados, olves, olive oil, full fat dressings, butter and bacon are all options.

You might also want to try the Low Carber Daily group. They'll have more tips for you there and the people are very friendly.

Good luck. :) I've been very low carb for 4 or so months, and the difference it made in my life is wonderful. For some people (especially those who have insulin resistance issues orCVD) the health changes from a LCHF diet can seem almost magical.
  • goldm00n
    goldm00n Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic and I am on LCHF woe and the cravings go away. Good luck! Remember our bodies don't NEED carbs!
  • PSYCHOJOKER13
    PSYCHOJOKER13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Vegan...high carb...low fat...that sounds better xD
    You could eat tons of penne and get filled, along with some Gardein (vegan) chicken,etc.

What's up with this low carb stuff?
    I have seen people who eat a lot of carbs (many vegans) and they are thin.
    Carbs are not our enemy.

Also, make sure to watch your sodium (salt) intake, as this can bloat you and make you put on a lot of water weight.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    You could eat tons of penne and get filled, along with some Gardein (vegan) chicken,etc.

Carbs are not our enemy.

Also, make sure to watch your sodium (salt) intake, as this can bloat you and make you put on a lot of water weight.

Please disregard this. When you lower carbs you lose water weight and electrolytes so most people must increase their sodium, magnesium and potassium intake. If you cut salts, you have a good chance of ending up feeling poorly.

Low carb is done for health (IR or even to treat some cancers) and as a personal preference. Sort of like how eating vegan is a personal preference....
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Carbs are not our enemy.

Going vegan, high carb and low fat would be a hundred times harder for me than going Low carb.
    Low carb makes sense to me, High carb and LOW fat does not.
  • fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I would say neither is wrong..... Different eating styles work for different people.

Do what works for your journey and encourage others on their journey (even if it looks different then yours)

Back to challenge.....
    I didn't realize under 100 g was considered low carb.... I am on my second month of whole food eating and find that my carbs are around 100-150. Can't go too low because I feel awful on very low carb but get totally numb to the world and eat everything in sight on high carb from refined carbs- (I couldn't over eat on whole foods )

Good challenge- clean eating will improve health much faster overall
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    When I want to cut weight I do Low carb high protein, Fat and it just freaking works but staying in Maintenance or a dirty bulk in NoV, dec then Maintenance goal till Feb then I'll do a cut diet low carb
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I would say neither is wrong..... Different eating styles work for different people.

Do what works for your journey and encourage others on their journey (even if it looks different then yours)

Back to challenge.....
    I didn't realize under 100 g was considered low carb.... I am on my second month of whole food eating and find that my carbs are around 100-150. Can't go too low because I feel awful on very low carb but get totally numb to the world and eat everything in sight on high carb from refined carbs- (I couldn't over eat on whole foods )

Yes, you could be considered low carb. I find it is fairly common to slip into low or lower carb when one eats clean or paleo. They just seem to fit well together. IF often goes well with LCHF too.

If you feel awful below 100g of carbs, I have two guesses as to the cause. The first is that you are starting to slip into mild ketosis which means your body is making ketones to make up for not having the glucose for fuel that it usually relies on. Depleted glycogen can make your tired and weak for a few days until your body adjusts. It also triggers hunger so that could cause a carb binge. If you stay at that level, or just a bit lower, for a few days, it will pass and you will be in ketosis.

Many low(er) carbers stay below 50g or a bit above 100g of carbs to avoid that adapting, yucky feeling level of carbs.

My second guess is needing more sodium. When carbs are low people typically need more salt, 3000-5000mg is the norm. If salt is low you will feel fatigued, achy, headachy, and cranky. A cup of salty broth can have one feeling well again within a couple of hours if low sodium is the cause.
  • nanabanana39
    nanabanana39 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm in please!!! Type 2 diabetic that has begun a LCHF meal plan. I actually feel much better without the carbs, more energy, and better glucose testing. My goal is to drop the excess weight and that my A1C level comes back into a normal range so that I can stop glucose testing and stop taking glipizide and metaformin. It can be hard at times seeing others eat what you once enjoyed but that part is getting better for me. Im focused on my health and hopefully reversing diabetes. Thanks!
  • Brownilocks
    Brownilocks Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Alrighty then! Let's start the 100 days tomorrow, Nov. 10, which means end date is Feb 18. 2016 :)

There are no real rules as to logging, just share you experience, acomplishments, tips, and remember we are here for support!

I think I'll start my day tomorrow with a big bowl of full-fat yogurt with nuts and cinnamon....
  • k33h07
    k33h07 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I've been looking for some support. So happy to have found this group.
  • Stardust620
    Options
    I'm in! I actually started yesterday, so this is day 2 for me. So far it's going really well! It has required a lot of planning and cooking, but it's worth it!
  • gaelicstorm26
    gaelicstorm26 Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Why can't we have ice cream or treats?

I eat right around 100 carbs a day and have all sorts of things you listed as having no nutritional value.
  • fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Back to challenge.....

Yes, you could be considered low carb. I find it is fairly common to slip into low or lower carb when one eats clean or paleo. They just seem to fit well together. IF often goes well with LCHF too.

If you feel awful below 100g of carbs, I have two guesses as to the cause. The first is that you are starting to slip into mild ketosis which means your body is making ketones to make up for not having the glucose for fuel that it usually relies on. Depleted glycogen can make your tired and weak for a few days until your body adjusts. It also triggers hunger so that could cause a carb binge. If you stay at that level, or just a bit lower, for a few days, it will pass and you will be in ketosis.

Many low(er) carbers stay below 50g or a bit above 100g of carbs to avoid that adapting, yucky feeling level of carbs.

My second guess is needing more sodium. When carbs are low people typically need more salt, 3000-5000mg is the norm. If salt is low you will feel fatigued, achy, headachy, and cranky. A cup of salty broth can have one feeling well again within a couple of hours if low sodium is the cause.
    Thanks for info!! I do salt a lot more now then ever before. And it is funny you should mention IF, because I do that too, but not everyday. If I am hm, my breakfast is around 10am and will eat until 7-8pm. If I am running in the morning, I have to eat breakfast before I leave, or temptations are overwhelming.

I did Atkins years ago (test strips and all) and had a hard time staying in keto at 30-40 grams of carbs. I just don't think VLC is good for me.

I did go through carb flu from detox on my first whole30 and my carbs were 100-150. Feeling much better on my second whole30. My goal is to customize a plan that I feel great on and love the food. Probably a liberal Paleo for lack of a better term.

• nvmomketo
    edited November 2015
    Options

Back to challenge.....

Thanks for info!! I do salt a lot more now then ever before. And it is funny you should mention IF, because I do that too, but not everyday. If I am hm, my breakfast is around 10am and will eat until 7-8pm. If I am running in the morning, I have to eat breakfast before I leave, or temptations are overwhelming.

I did Atkins years ago (test strips and all) and had a hard time staying in keto at 30-40 grams of carbs. I just don't think VLC is good for me.

I did go through carb flu from detox on my first whole30 and my carbs were 100-150. Feeling much better on my second whole30. My goal is to customize a plan that I feel great on and love the food. Probably a liberal Paleo for lack of a better term.

I like that: liberal paleo. That's close to what I am except for my cheese... and occasional pork rinds. ;)

It's amazing how low salt can make you feel poorly. I'm guessing that's why a few people give up on LC - they don't increase electrolytes and think this is how a LCHF diet usually feels.

I've actually slipped out of ketosis lately. My carbs have crept up to the 30-40g range you mentioned and the test strips are negative. I'm doing a couple of low calorie days with some fasting (with a bit of fats) to bump myself back firmly into ketosis. I've been feeling a littel off lately, and have been sick, and I want to be back to where I felt really good, even if it means I can't have a few cups of snap peas with dip as a bed time snack.
    Why can't we have ice cream or treats?

I eat right around 100 carbs a day and have all sorts of things you listed as having no nutritional value.

I suppose you could, but you couldn't eat much without going over your carb limit, plus it would really limit the amount of carbs you could eat from veggies or fruit. It wouldn't be my choice of "food" on a day to day basis.
  • Stardust620
    Options
    Yes, you could be considered low carb. I find it is fairly common to slip into low or lower carb when one eats clean or paleo. They just seem to fit well together. IF often goes well with LCHF too...

Forgive my ignorance, but what is IF?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Yes, you could be considered low carb. I find it is fairly common to slip into low or lower carb when one eats clean or paleo. They just seem to fit well together. IF often goes well with LCHF too...

Forgive my ignorance, but what is IF?

Intermittent Fasting
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Also you might want to check out the main LCHF group on MFP here. It's where most of us ketofiles hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • Brownilocks
    Brownilocks Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Also you might want to check out the main LCHF group on MFP here. It's where most of us ketofiles hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Thanks!