Quick Q&A Thread

Options

Replies

• Aani15
    Aani15 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thanks again @sidesteel. I will try to analyse and utilise your provided information. Now, answering your questions:
    1. I had a goal weight of 72 kg (Now you may ask why this number. I pulled it out of my back ;-). Seriously, I thought 72kg seems fancy and 72 kg is the lowest weight I ever had since last 9 years). But as you said, I do not have a goal weight now but a goal body. I used to weigh every day, then it changed to every 2-3 days, then a week and now, since starting seeing my glimpse of abs, I just check every morning If I could still see it. I am weighing myself every 10-14 days now just check how my weight is changing with muscle gain.

So the honest answer is I am not sure if I am cutting or want to lose more weight but staying very close to deficit. As I am not sure how to proceed from here, I mean bulking.

2. No doubt about that. My strength has increased manyfolds since starting weight training. My programs are usually a combination of heavy lifting and compound movements.

I have an athletic build and toned body at the moment ( not bulky at all, not even close, I mean by big bulky muscles).
    Thanks!
  • Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Hi @SideSteel and thank you for this thread. Just a quick question - the 10-15% range I presume is for males, what would be the range for females? Thank you.
  • Aani15
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Aani15 wrote: »
    First of all, thank you@sidesteel for starting this thread, I have 2 questions
    1. How can I access your previous threads (I am sure I will gain something from a read)?
    2. Now it might seem a repeated question but since you have provided an opportunity, I will ask it anyway.

When is the right time to start thinking of starting cut/ bulk cycle? My fat % is about 22.5 and I am strength training for the last 2 years ( almost). I follow a split program and get a new one every 7-8 weeks. I am meeting my macros daily goal for the last 3 months ( since joining MFP app) and keep a track of calories. Since last month, I am eating all my daily + exercise calories and height 171 cm, currently weigh 74.5 kg ( this has not changed in last 2 weeks). My daily calories allowance is 7650. If I exercise,I often get 1000kj extra. If you have require more information to answer my question, please let me know.

Thanks again!

1. Unfortunately I have no idea, sorry! I'm not sure if you can do a forum search by user-name or not. One thing you can do is join our Eat, Train, Progress group on here and on facebook if you'd like to read my random musings. Click my profile to see about that or PM me.

2. Generally you should follow physique based goals and also pay attention to some common sense and combine those two to reach an answer. Lyle McDonald generally recommends a range of body-fat between 10 and 15% in that you cut to 10% and then bulk to 15%. The reason for this has to do with nutrient partitioning. As you get fatter, you generally increase insulin resistance/reduce insulin sensitivity which can then effect nutrient partitioning (basically, where calories go). According to Lyle anyway, the 10-15% range is a reasonable slot for most people to experience reasonably good partitioning.

Keep in mind the following:
    a) I'm of course repeating Lyle's information on this as I've never seen papers examining this. Of course, I'm ok with that as I consider Lyle to be a great source of info much as I'd also quote Helms, Krieger, Aragon and a few others and call that info good.

b) There's nothing at all wrong with eating around maintenance. If training is in a good spot you should EXPECT body recomposition to happen. It's just not as noticeable and it MIGHT not be as efficient in that you'll accomplish a little bit of each instead of accomplishing more of one or the other.

c) Individual variability applies here as with most things. It's unreasonable for EVERYONE to assume they should get down to 10% body-fat. People are going to face differing levels of discomfort as they get leaner and for some people, 10% isn't a reasonable target. Additionally, while it's RARE, I have seen people who can likely get a bit lower than that before they turn around and bulk.

All of this being said, one question I have for you is this -- Are you currently cutting? You posted your stats and your intake but I don't know what your body-weight is doing at that intake. Are you gaining or losing weight right now and are you gaining strength with your current programming?

I think I did not answer correctly to your question.
    My weight has not changed since 22/10 ( 74.5 kg). Last weigh in was done on 5/11. So I have to check it again to see if it has changed or not. First two months, I had 'very active' setting on MFP with daily allowance of 8400-8500kj (lost 5 kg) and changed to lightly active with 7650kj (lost 2+kg).
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Clarewho wrote: »
    Hi @SideSteel and thank you for this thread. Just a quick question - the 10-15% range I presume is for males, what would be the range for females? Thank you.

Thanks, good catch.

17-25% or so, give or take.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this thread! I'm currently running my 2nd bulk and was wondering if I could get your interpretation of /thoughts on my results so far:

5'4, 34 years old, appx. 20%BF in August (U.S. Navy tape measure method)
    Started the beginning of August @ about 127.5 pounds, eating around 1850 calories (maintenance)
    CW: 131.5 pounds, eating 2100 calories

No change to waist/hip/quad measurements; up 0.25" on biceps (so no real measurement change at all). Slow/small increases to squat, deadlift and OHP (and accessories), so I'm gaining strength, but slowly. I've been running 5/3/1 for about six months. I also run 2-3 miles, 1-2x a week, but that doesn't seem to affect anything.
  • SideSteel
    edited November 2015
    Options
    curimnvid0al.jpg
    First of all, thank you@sidesteel for starting this thread, I have 2 questions
    1. How can I access your previous threads (I am sure I will gain something from a read)?
    2. Now it might seem a repeated question but since you have provided an opportunity, I will ask it anyway.

When is the right time to start thinking of starting cut/ bulk cycle? My fat % is about 22.5 and I am strength training for the last 2 years ( almost). I follow a split program and get a new one every 7-8 weeks. I am meeting my macros daily goal for the last 3 months ( since joining MFP app) and keep a track of calories. Since last month, I am eating all my daily + exercise calories and height 171 cm, currently weigh 74.5 kg ( this has not changed in last 2 weeks). My daily calories allowance is 7650. If I exercise,I often get 1000kj extra. If you have require more information to answer my question, please let me know.

Thanks again!

1. Unfortunately I have no idea, sorry! I'm not sure if you can do a forum search by user-name or not. One thing you can do is join our Eat, Train, Progress group on here and on facebook if you'd like to read my random musings. Click my profile to see about that or PM me.

2. Generally you should follow physique based goals and also pay attention to some common sense and combine those two to reach an answer. Lyle McDonald generally recommends a range of body-fat between 10 and 15% in that you cut to 10% and then bulk to 15%. The reason for this has to do with nutrient partitioning. As you get fatter, you generally increase insulin resistance/reduce insulin sensitivity which can then effect nutrient partitioning (basically, where calories go). According to Lyle anyway, the 10-15% range is a reasonable slot for most people to experience reasonably good partitioning.

Keep in mind the following:
    a) I'm of course repeating Lyle's information on this as I've never seen papers examining this. Of course, I'm ok with that as I consider Lyle to be a great source of info much as I'd also quote Helms, Krieger, Aragon and a few others and call that info good.

b) There's nothing at all wrong with eating around maintenance. If training is in a good spot you should EXPECT body recomposition to happen. It's just not as noticeable and it MIGHT not be as efficient in that you'll accomplish a little bit of each instead of accomplishing more of one or the other.

c) Individual variability applies here as with most things. It's unreasonable for EVERYONE to assume they should get down to 10% body-fat. People are going to face differing levels of discomfort as they get leaner and for some people, 10% isn't a reasonable target. Additionally, while it's RARE, I have seen people who can likely get a bit lower than that before they turn around and bulk.

All of this being said, one question I have for you is this -- Are you currently cutting? You posted your stats and your intake but I don't know what your body-weight is doing at that intake. Are you gaining or losing weight right now and are you gaining strength with your current programming?

I think I did not answer correctly to your question.
    My weight has not changed since 22/10 ( 74.5 kg). Last weigh in was done on 5/11. So I have to check it again to see if it has changed or not. First two months, I had 'very active' setting on MFP with daily allowance of 8400-8500kj (lost 5 kg) and changed to lightly active with 7650kj (lost 2+kg).

Thanks.

Another thing that I left out that's important to mention:

Body fat measurement methods are estimations with varying degrees of error. Some of them have quite high error rates. I don't see a great amount of use in measuring bodyfat and I don't have my clients do it, but I do talk to them about subjective measures (how they feel during their diet both physically and emotionally/mentally, hunger levels, body image, preferences, etc) and for objective measures we look at the scale, how clothes fit, circumference measurements, and visual estimation from photographs and collectively I'll consider all of that when helping them determine which way to go with calories.

For perspective sake, I'm likely in the neighborhood of ~14-15% bodyfat currently and my scale, which does bioelectrical impedance has me around 25% bodyfat. That's a huge variance. Granted, I'm eyeballing so who's to say my estimation is accurate, but I'll attach a pic for reference and consider this is bloated and mid-afternoon after smashing some pizza =)

Point being, there's just no way this is 25% bodyfat.

If I were to base my bulking decision on this scale, I might have to get to 6% before the scale tells me it's time to bulk, and there's just no way I'd ever try to get that lean.

EDIT: LMAO uploaded that from my phone, sorry for hitting you all with a huge pic.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Thank you for posting this thread! I'm currently running my 2nd bulk and was wondering if I could get your interpretation of /thoughts on my results so far:

Started the beginning of August @ about 127.5 pounds, eating around 1850 calories (maintenance)

No change to waist/hip/quad measurements; up 0.25" on biceps (so no real measurement change at all). Slow/small increases to squat, deadlift and OHP (and accessories), so I'm gaining strength, but slowly. I've been running 5/3/1 for about six months. I also run 2-3 miles, 1-2x a week, but that doesn't seem to affect anything.

In my opinion everything looks within a range of what I'd consider quite reasonable given your stats. Now I know some people may think that 1lb/month is not reasonable but given that you're female I'd say it's really not far off at all.

This assumes that the weight gain is relatively constant give or take, rather than gaining 4lbs in the first two weeks and then maintaining the other 10 weeks.

Also, .25" on the arms is considerable.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options

In my opinion everything looks within a range of what I'd consider quite reasonable given your stats. Now I know some people may think that 1lb/month is not reasonable but given that you're female I'd say it's really not far off at all.

This assumes that the weight gain is relatively constant give or take, rather than gaining 4lbs in the first two weeks and then maintaining the other 10 weeks.

Thank you very much for the response! Bulking for me is very much a battle of self-confidence, so I tend to second-guess and discourage myself.

Yes, my gains have been relatively consistent. When you say that some people might not consider 1lb/month reasonable, that's because it's on the slow side, right? Overall, I'd rather err on the side of taking it slow; I feel like I'm not going to see strength gains much faster than I already am, so I don't really want to gain any faster if I'm not also going to see faster strength gains.
  • SideSteel
    Options

Thank you very much for the response! Bulking for me is very much a battle of self-confidence, so I tend to second-guess and discourage myself.

Yes, my gains have been relatively consistent. When you say that some people might not consider 1lb/month reasonable, that's because it's on the slow side, right? Overall, I'd rather err on the side of taking it slow; I feel like I'm not going to see strength gains much faster than I already am, so I don't really want to gain any faster if I'm not also going to see faster strength gains.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant by that.

I tend to err on the side of slower bulking for the majority of people and even more-so with females just generally speaking.

Even if (in theory) you aren't quite maximizing rate of muscle gain, taking it slower means less rate of fat accumulation and that directly translates into longer bulking phases. I'd rather see someone bulk for 6-12 months vs 8 weeks, and honestly I think MOST people who do their first couple of bulks mess it up by going too fast and the end result is that they have to turn around and diet back down again way early.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm going to ask a question that I'm not sure is answerable, but I'm hoping you may have some good insight. :)

I'm at a point of constant second-guessing. I lost 25-ish pounds pretty easily just lifting / cardio / reasonable deficit starting in Dec last year. I didn't have any big hunger issues. It took about 6 months. Now I'm at a normal body weight (145/5'5) and I've maintained within a 5 pound range for 5-6 months (I think I have recomped some based on pictures).

I'd like to change my body composition a bit more but I'm struggling with deciding if I should just grind through a moderate deficit and shave off 5-10 more pounds quickly, recomping at maintenance, or eating at a small deficit for another 6 months...

One of the biggest challenges is that I am WAY hungrier now than ever before. And it seems like it doesn't matter if I eat at deficit or maintenance, I'm hungry. I'm trying to pay more attention to food choices which has helped a little bit. (I get at least 120 grams of protein every day).

What would you recommend in this situation? And any "advanced" tips for hunger beyond protein, veggies, volume, etc.? Does the hunger issue eventually go away?

Sorry...Kind of a ramble, feel free to answer as little or as much as you'd like!

• Aani15
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Thanks @sidesteel.
    Now this picture is very recent.
    I am lean atm and do not think losing any more weight going to help my looks, forget about the muscle, fat, %age talk. So, what do you think, should I start bulking now?
    Thanks a lot for your replies.
    I really appreciate it.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    pbl0mbr49pfv.jpg

Thanks @sidesteel.
    Now this picture is very recent.
    I am lean atm and do not think losing any more weight going to help my looks, forget about the muscle, fat, %age talk. So, what do you think, should I start bulking now?
    Thanks a lot for your replies.
    I really appreciate it.

Hard to tell based on that pic so you should consider subjective measures and goals.

When you bulk you will gain muscle and you will gain fat. Your lifts will go up likely at a slightly faster pace vs cutting.

Also depends on your psychological tolerance for getting fat.

Without knowing a lot more about you I wouldn't be able to assess that.

I do however think that getting leaner may make you appear more muscular.
  • Aani15
    Options
    Thank you @SideSteel.
    I think a little introspection will help.
    Please keep posting and thanks again!
  • Aani15
    Options
    Good grief! My image is ridiculously large even after cropping.
    Sorry about that!
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Moving this up.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    How come I forgot how to squat?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    How come I forgot how to squat?

You didn't.

ok ty.

=)
  • Clarewho
    Options
    @SideSteel I have some (probably) stupid questions so I apologise in advance...

How do I know how long to bulk for? Or do I bulk til I put on a certain weight? Also, I'm 23% ish fat at present (if scales are to be believed and yes I do know they are not). I don't want to lose any more weight but does this make me a good candidate for b&c or should I recomp? I'm 45. Thank you x
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Clarewho wrote: »
    @SideSteel I have some (probably) stupid questions so I apologise in advance...

How do I know how long to bulk for? Or do I bulk til I put on a certain weight? Also, I'm 23% ish fat at present (if scales are to be believed and yes I do know they are not). I don't want to lose any more weight but does this make me a good candidate for b&c or should I recomp? I'm 45. Thank you x

Sorry, I missed this question apparently.

I would bulk until you reach a body-fat level that you start to become uncomfortable with or until you reach a reasonable body-fat that may start to negatively effect nutrient partitioning. For females I believe this is in the 25-27% range at the top end.

Regarding bulk/cut/recomp, just make sure you keep your surplus minimal if you decide to bulk. Normally I wouldn't advise it at 23% bodyfat but as you said, measurement methods for that are quite inaccurate. Plan on staying at maintenance or just a very small surplus (1lb/month gain or so) and you'll be fine.
  • Clarewho
    Options
    Thank you @SideSteel I appreciate your advice and time