No energy.. dragging myself through workouts

Options

Replies

• tlw9903
    tlw9903 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    tlw9903 wrote: »
    Are you eating enough carbohydrate?

I don't eat gluten because I don't tolerate it well. But I replace it with other carbs, gluten free oatmeal, sweet potato, rice, etc. What % for carbs do you think is good to have set as goal?

What % calories from carb are you at right now? Maybe try increasing by 5-10% and see if that helps. Maybe you could try having some carb (fruit would be a good choice) 30 minutes or so before you exercise.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    If you're eating 1600 calories and then burning 400/500 calories (entirely possible in gym classes) it's likely you might not be eating enough. Up your calories and see if that helps.
  • amberlyda1
    amberlyda1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Maybe just take a few days/week off. Your body could just need a bit of a break
  • ToughHippieChick
    ToughHippieChick Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Hey, lately for some reason I am really lacking energy. I feel like I am dragging myself through my gym classes. Would like to put more effort into them but my energy is holding me back.
    I am eating sufficient amount of calories. All my vitamins, blood tests are fine and I don't drink caffeine.
    Anyone experience something similar, how do you all get your energies up, especially before the gym?

I am ALWAYS lacking energy. I've been tired and dragging for a few years now. I thinks its a combo of being fat, old and not eating right. I take numerous vitamins, B shots, iron supplements and extra D. I sleep about 10 hours a night.
    I have to force myself to workout every single time. getting dressed for the gym gets my head in the right place. I have myself trained when working out that every time a new song starts playing I push as hard as I can at whatever I'm doing. I wear out and dwindle off by the time the song is over. A new song comes on and it reminds me to push again.
    That's the best I got.
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hey, lately for some reason I am really lacking energy. I feel like I am dragging myself through my gym classes. Would like to put more effort into them but my energy is holding me back.
    I am eating sufficient amount of calories. All my vitamins, blood tests are fine and I don't drink caffeine.
    Anyone experience something similar, how do you all get your energies up, especially before the gym?

I am ALWAYS lacking energy. I've been tired and dragging for a few years now. I thinks its a combo of being fat, old and not eating right. I take numerous vitamins, B shots, iron supplements and extra D. I sleep about 10 hours a night.
    I have to force myself to workout every single time. getting dressed for the gym gets my head in the right place. I have myself trained when working out that every time a new song starts playing I push as hard as I can at whatever I'm doing. I wear out and dwindle off by the time the song is over. A new song comes on and it reminds me to push again.
    That's the best I got.

I know what you mean, I usually also get more energized when a good song comes on. Or I make myself stay on the treadmill longer by putting on a favorite song.
  • utahmomof10
    utahmomof10 Posts: 133 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Post edited to delete, as it was pertinent for a man, but I realized from her profile page that OP is a woman. So never mind! I hope you figure something out. :)
  • _Bropollo_
    _Bropollo_ Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Could be a lot of things, OP:
    -Too few calories (your weight loss goal is too aggressive)
    -Possibly you are not making enough of the calories come from carbohydrates (glycogen stores are depleted)
    -Iron/vitamin D deficient
    -Sleep deprived
    -Bored with current routine

Everything but the last one are easy enough to fix. If motivation is the issue, always remember why you started, and also remember that fitness goals are a marathon and not a sprint. a better body is the result of living a different lifestyle. You need to make changes you can live with, permanently. If you can't see yourself committing to it, don't do it. Maybe you are bored with your classes and the treadmill (aka the hamster wheel). Trying running outside for some scenery maybe? Sign up for an athletic competition to train for? Do some weight training? Just throwing ideas out there. If you would like some help with weight training, feel free to add me.

Also, if you have been on a weight loss phase for several months, it is healthy to take a week and eat at maintenance calories (setting MFP to maintain weight). Obviously you can still go to the gym during this week to maintain your conditioning. When you are in a deficit for a long time, it can temporarily slow your metabolism down, which will make it harder to lose additional weight and might make you feel tired/lethargic as well.
  • LastingChanges
    edited November 2015
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    I have not read all the replies but I was in the exact same spot couple months ago. What helped me was the post I made on here. Most of the replies to it very informative very to the point, no BS. It made me realize I was not fuelling my body right and asking it to do to much. Since then I have upped my caloric intake a lot, added more carbs to my diet and am now able to lift (5x5), run lots and bike lots. Also am slowly gaining weight and building muscles. One of these days I will start another thread with all the updates etc. But for now all I am going to say is, listen to the people on here, most know what they are talking about.

Thanks for the advice. I am not on a low calorie diet, but agree upping my calories might help. Ive tried before the whole eating at tdee thing and used a fitbit, but the amount of calories it was telling me to eat was making me feel so stuffed and causing digestive issues (have a sensitive stomach).
    I also find it hard to up my calories because there are consecutive days I might skip the gym, so those days I need to eat less calories. But for me that is really hard to plan because I prep all my meals in advance and make a weekly food plan. Meaning I like to eat the same amount of calories each day whether I am going to the gym or not (in order to make my life easier). But I am seeing that is probably not an ideal plan and need to increase my calories based on the day.

How many calories would you suggest I eat on gym days and how many calories on regular days ?
    I am about 5'5, 150lbs, female. I do cardio or strength classes which I think I burn like 400 cals. And if I do treadmill that same day its like additional 200-300.
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I am with you on this. I'm so tired. I get to the gym at 8am. I usually run 3 miles, do weights. OK then around noon I'm so exhausted. I feel like could sleep for a week. I'm tired to begin with, I just have lost all energy.
  • ajcsviper
    ajcsviper Posts: 4 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    When you sleep has anyone ever told you that they've heard you stop breathing for short pauses? Sleep apnea does not allow you to reach a deep sleep where the quality rest is. Just a thought to rule out and take a look at.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I have not read all the replies but I was in the exact same spot couple months ago. What helped me was the post I made on here. Most of the replies to it very informative very to the point, no BS. It made me realize I was not fuelling my body right and asking it to do to much. Since then I have upped my caloric intake a lot, added more carbs to my diet and am now able to lift (5x5), run lots and bike lots. Also am slowly gaining weight and building muscles. One of these days I will start another thread with all the updates etc. But for now all I am going to say is, listen to the people on here, most know what they are talking about.

Thanks for the advice. I am not on a low calorie diet, but agree upping my calories might help. Ive tried before the whole eating at tdee thing and used a fitbit, but the amount of calories it was telling me to eat was making me feel so stuffed and causing digestive issues (have a sensitive stomach).
    I also find it hard to up my calories because there are consecutive days I might skip the gym, so those days I need to eat less calories. But for me that is really hard to plan because I prep all my meals in advance and make a weekly food plan. Meaning I like to eat the same amount of calories each day whether I am going to the gym or not (in order to make my life easier). But I am seeing that is probably not an ideal plan and need to increase my calories based on the day.

How many calories would you suggest I eat on gym days and how many calories on regular days ?
    I am about 5'5, 150lbs, female. I do cardio or strength classes which I think I burn like 400 cals. And if I do treadmill that same day its like additional 200-300.

I guess you could try sticking around the 1600 mark for non-workout days and aiming to eat back half your exercise cals or a little more on workout days (1900-2000). It will ultimately be trial and error though.

If meal planning is a problem, you could try keeping your meals the same and add in a couple of extra 150-200 cal snacks or a snack and a small treat. It could also be as simple as making small tweaks to your main meals on workout days (an extra 30g of meat, some added fat like avocado, nuts or cheese etc.)

Keep in mind that what is a low calorie diet is a relative term. Just because you're not eating 1200 cals doesn't mean it isn't low calorie for you and your TDEE.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I get bored with the treadmill all the time, I usually try updating my music list. If that doesn't work I take a break for a week or so until I'm excited to get back and run.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    what everyone else says could be part of the issue. I recently had that issue where I lost all energy and had none at all,couldnt even workout let alone do much at home. so I went to the dr and told her that all of a sudden I had NO energy,(I am not/was not depressed,I was eating enough,getting enough sleep,it wasnt a thyroid issue or a vitamin deficiency, iron was fine,etc. so she ran a test to test me for epstein barr virus which is basically mono(no clue how and when I got it),but it came back positive(she said that when you are fine and then lose all energy that could be one of the reasons) and I was having a flare up.I feel somewhat better now,getting my energy back day by day.I was also taking rest days and having headaches every day(everyones symptoms are different and I didnt have the normal sore throat,swollen glands,fever,etc). not saying this is your issue but you could talk to your dr and see if its a possibility if it continues. you can contract it other ways and have it in your body for years and it can flare up at anytime.I would go back to the dr though(if it doesnt improve) and have them rule things out for other issues just to make sure its not the reason.your body can change over time and you can have issues with the things others have stated.its just a thought is all.good luck hope you get your energy back,know how you feel and it sucks
  • LastingChanges
    Options
    what everyone else says could be part of the issue. I recently had that issue where I lost all energy and had none at all,couldnt even workout let alone do much at home. so I went to the dr and told her that all of a sudden I had NO energy,(I am not/was not depressed,I was eating enough,getting enough sleep,it wasnt a thyroid issue or a vitamin deficiency, iron was fine,etc. so she ran a test to test me for epstein barr virus which is basically mono(no clue how and when I got it),but it came back positive(she said that when you are fine and then lose all energy that could be one of the reasons) and I was having a flare up.I feel somewhat better now,getting my energy back day by day.I was also taking rest days and having headaches every day(everyones symptoms are different and I didnt have the normal sore throat,swollen glands,fever,etc). not saying this is your issue but you could talk to your dr and see if its a possibility if it continues. you can contract it other ways and have it in your body for years and it can flare up at anytime.I would go back to the dr though(if it doesnt improve) and have them rule things out for other issues just to make sure its not the reason.your body can change over time and you can have issues with the things others have stated.its just a thought is all.good luck hope you get your energy back,know how you feel and it sucks
    That is interesting, thanks for sharing that.. I always thought mono is something very obvious because you get a really bad cold. Will mention it to my Dr when I go for a follow up.
    ajcsviper wrote: »
    When you sleep has anyone ever told you that they've heard you stop breathing for short pauses? Sleep apnea does not allow you to reach a deep sleep where the quality rest is. Just a thought to rule out and take a look at.
    I have heard of sleep apnea, it is a good suggestion but don't think it is the problem. I think it is more common when a person is over a certain weight, but who knows anythings possible.. will ask my bf to check while I am sleeping :)
    gmallan wrote: »

I guess you could try sticking around the 1600 mark for non-workout days and aiming to eat back half your exercise cals or a little more on workout days (1900-2000). It will ultimately be trial and error though.

If meal planning is a problem, you could try keeping your meals the same and add in a couple of extra 150-200 cal snacks or a snack and a small treat. It could also be as simple as making small tweaks to your main meals on workout days (an extra 30g of meat, some added fat like avocado, nuts or cheese etc.)

Keep in mind that what is a low calorie diet is a relative term. Just because you're not eating 1200 cals doesn't mean it isn't low calorie for you and your TDEE.
    Thanks, yea I think I am going to give increasing my calories another chance and see if it helps. Need to stock up on snacks that don't expire quickly so that I always have something available in case I need some extra calories. Also going to look into getting another heart rate monitor so I have a better idea of what I am burning.

• LastingChanges
    edited November 2015
    Options
    tracefan wrote: »
    I am with you on this. I'm so tired. I get to the gym at 8am. I usually run 3 miles, do weights. OK then around noon I'm so exhausted. I feel like could sleep for a week. I'm tired to begin with, I just have lost all energy.

Yep I know that feeling. Can't figure out what it is because there are some weeks when I am absolutely fine with my energy. How many calories are you eating ?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options

On gym days I have a smoothie and sometimes an extra snack, and that takes care of my extra calorie needs for those days.
  • sammy1221
    sammy1221 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

• sammy1221
    sammy1221 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Protein?
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    The answer is carbs. You can choose to keep your calories the same but swap out some fat for carbs. That will give you the energy you need. I had the same problem before and just could never stick with an exercise program. I honestly thought I was just a lazy person with no willpower. I was maintaining 152 lbs at 1500 calories and no exercise.

So I said F it, and started eating stuff I love but was previously avoiding - polenta, potatoes, beans, mangoes, bananas, grapes, rice, bread, pasta, sugar etc. My carbs shot up to 70% on a 1700 cal diet. The effect was almost immediate. I went from a years long couch potato to exercising 1-2 hrs a day 5-6x/week and my weight started dropping off. The thing is, I hadn't yet make the connection that it's the carbs that were driving the energy for all the high intensity cardio I was doing. A month later, I figured if I cut carbs, I'd lose even faster. Instead, I crashed and burned. My energy levels fell and I couldn't exercise. I'd go to the gym and look at the clock and force myself to get through just 30 min. That's when the light bulb went off. I went back to it and nowadays, I eat 75-80% carbs and I'm down to 125 lbs (from 152).

Obviously you don't have to go that high but add some extra carbs from your current level and see how you feel. Some people just function better on higher carbs and I didn't realize I was one of them. My insulin sensitivity is very good and even with such high carbs, my recent fasting blood glucose was 70 (normal range is 65-99). The best part is that I no longer struggle with low energy. I routinely go for long bike rides and hilly hikes and feel amazing.
  • eugenia94102
    eugenia94102 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    OP, monitor your body temperature, three times a day, every day, for a week or two. Your body temperature varies during the day - but there is something called "low grade fever". Often the only way to identify it is to monitor. That associated with a sluggish feeling needs to be checked by a health care professional.