Why do I do this and why can't I stop

Options
I'm a bit stuffed tonight after dinner. Don't get me wrong I was within my calorie budget and only eating what I had planned. The thing is I could feel myself getting full about 1/3 to 1/2 way through the meal. But since I counted for it and it was on my plate by God I was going to eat it. I know all the reasons that it's wrong but I can't seem to help myself. And it happens more than I'd like to admit. Give me a catch phrase or something that will help me help myself on this one.

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I cant help you, as I do the very same thing!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I do that too - but I don't really want to change that. My meal plan is my meal plan - I planned exactly the amount I wanted to eat, and I don't aim to either overeat or undereat, so I stick to the plan.

If I find a particular meal very filling, I make a note of this for the future, reduce the portion next time, and pair it with another meal that is delicious but less filling on that day. I rarely improvise day-of, as the whole point of planning the previous day is so I don't improvise.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    If I want to finish this later I can
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I do that too, but if it's accounted for and fits in my calories, it just means I will be full longer... I don't see anything wrong with that.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    You want to eat up to your goal. Unless you want to spread it out by saving some for a snack there's nothing wrong with finishing your planned food as long as it fits in your calories. If you end up feeling too stuffed, look at what's making you feel that way and substitute something a little less filling.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    gmallan wrote: »
    If I want to finish this later I can

^^^This. "I can save this for another small meal, or eat the rest later if I'm hungry."

Eating more than I was really comfortable with is one of the reasons I became overweight in the first place. With mindful eating, it's smart to stop eating when you are feeling satisfied regardless of what you've "budgeted for" in your meal planning.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    "I'll have it as a snack later." Put some plastic wrap over it, pop it in the fridge and have it later.

Do you notice it happening with certain foods? When I have meat with dinner, I have to break dinner into two meals. I know that going in, so I dish up less. If you pay attention, maybe you'll notice a pattern, too. :)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    OMG I just did that! I am sitting here suffering, stuffed. I just had to stop. I have now eaten less than logged, and who wants to go back and reverse the entry??? Too much work.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Those of us with the ability to grossly stuff our stomachs will thrive when the world is coming to an end. The eaters that stop when they feel full will go quickly. That's how I explain it, we are more aware of what Darwin has in store for us. :)

I'm actually getting better at it, but not completely over it. It's one of the reasons I never log food before I eat it.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Also if you're worried about eating to goal then eat your meal until comfortably full and top up with something calorie dense and delicious like dark chocolate
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Another vote for "I'll have it as a snack later."
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    It is a step in the right direction that you're paying attention to this. We all do this.. but you most likely will get to a point where you'll wrap up the extra..and put it away for later when you're really hungry..and you'll feel all accomplished and stuff..:)
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    OMG I just did that! I am sitting here suffering, stuffed. I just had to stop. I have now eaten less than logged, and who wants to go back and reverse the entry??? Too much work.

I don't see changing an entry as any big deal
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    If it's within your calorie goal, I honestly wouldn't worry about it.
  • MariliaPa
    MariliaPa Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If it's within your calorie goal, I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

Agreed.
    Although if you are full & you have a few more calories left maybe you want to use those to treat yourself - maybe have some dark chocolate?
    If you don't want to eat all of your food, don't.
    Save the calories for another day or treat yourself to a small desert.
  • ElizabethPalm
    ElizabethPalm Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I eat my lunch is 'sets' of 2 or 3 cause its too much for one sitting so I just eat half or whatever and put the rest back in the fridge in the office. I tend to drink about half a liter of water with every meal/set/sitting so my stomach gets full quickly. I eat all my allotted calories - but not all at once. Haha! I just realized it might look weird cause I eat all the time and I am relatively skinny-ish (still got about 5-8lbs to go)
  • aimeetu
    aimeetu Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the support. This is the first time (I think) that I've asked for feedback and I"m glad I did!!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    I do that too - but I don't really want to change that. My meal plan is my meal plan - I planned exactly the amount I wanted to eat, and I don't aim to either overeat or undereat, so I stick to the plan.

If I find a particular meal very filling, I make a note of this for the future, reduce the portion next time, and pair it with another meal that is delicious but less filling on that day. I rarely improvise day-of, as the whole point of planning the previous day is so I don't improvise.

Second.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    I wasnt hungry last night so I didnt eat what I had planned to eat and got accused of starving myself. You can NEVER win.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have been practicing leaving one bite on the plate. Im usually already full but I have the same issue, I logged it so I gotta eat it! Leaving one bite goes against how I was raised so I see it as a baby step. I only bother leaving the bite if I already register that Im full.