It can't be this easy can it?

Options

Replies

• OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym at all or get any real exercise besides walking 4 miles per day. All I've done is reduce my calorie intake according to what MFP suggests, and I've lost weight at exactly the rate MFP predicted. When the solution is backed by science, it really is that easy.
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    yes, creating a calorie deficit isn't that hard, but doing it day after day is hard. I'm never going to say that weight loss is easy. There's a whole other dimension to weight loss that involves emotions and after 7 months of trying to eat right, I'm still learning how to handle them. I think it's a real achievement to keep the weight off after it's been lost. I applaud people that can do it...not many can.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    Yep ... if I had known how easy it was going to be, I would have started a whole lot earlier. :)
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Good for you!

Once I figured out how this site works, I also found it quite simple. You make all your puzzle pieces fit (carbs, fats, proteins, exercise) and it all comes together nicely.

Patience is the key ingredient. And dedication. Lots of dedication.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    I didn't find the end any harder than the beginning. The very beginning was the hardest for me hunger/cravings-wise, and there were no results yet, so motivation wasn't as easy to find.

I do have days where it's really hard! Fortunately, that's not most of the time. I just get very hungry randomly sometimes. I'm in maintenance now, so I have no clue why, lol.
  • rmtdoug
    rmtdoug Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It really is easy, although I would hesitate to try and lose 15 lbs per month. I've lost 25+ lbs in 7 months and am within 10 lbs of goal. Not once have I felt hungry and feel better than I have in 20 years, so I don't care if the last 10 lbs take another year. I'm happy. I still have a glass of wine with dinner every day and the occasional pizza and junk food. Don't sweat the odd break in discipline, focus on your overall diet and track EVERYTHING you eat. You will then know what are your problem foods. Starting truly is the hardest part.
  • ragenhay1
    ragenhay1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    rmtdoug wrote: »
    It really is easy, although I would hesitate to try and lose 15 lbs per month. I've lost 25+ lbs in 7 months and am within 10 lbs of goal. Not once have I felt hungry and feel better than I have in 20 years, so I don't care if the last 10 lbs take another year. I'm happy. I still have a glass of wine with dinner every day and the occasional pizza and junk food. Don't sweat the odd break in discipline, focus on your overall diet and track EVERYTHING you eat. You will then know what are your problem foods. Starting truly is the hardest part.

I'm definitely not trying to lose 15/month. It just kind of happened. I have it set to 1lb per month. I think it just went quick this first month because it's so new and I'm breastfeeding. I expect it will level out and settle into a more reasonable loss rate.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    My first 100 days were a piece of cake. Then I went on a 6 week road trip where I wouldn't have data or internet, so I didnt bother tracking. It's been a fight ever since I got back. I've lost 20lbs more since then, but it's taken a LONG TIME.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    I found it very easy, but then I'm a detail-oriented person. I love making my numbers match every day. I've never minded looking up nutrition information to double check entries or creating new ones.

I think that some people aren't as organized though. Some people don't enjoy working with numbers. I think that for those people, it might seem harder to track everything, especially in the beginning. I tend to think certain personalities probably find it harder than I have. That's not to say they can't succeed...just that they probably don't find it quite as simple as others might.

I'm the same.

I've been logging various details about my cycling since 1990, so coming on here and logging my food wasn't much different.

In fact, I've found MFP extremely easy to use in comparison with some others.

In the past tried, I have at least 3 other sites, and have lasted about 3 weeks on them. The 3 weeks was enough to give me an idea of what I should be eating, and since I wasn't particularly heavy, I lost enough weight for me to be satisfied. But the reason I only lasted 3 weeks was because those sites were too difficult and time consuming to use.

This time I debated about using one of those other sites, and went in and had a look at them, but still wasn't impressed. So I asked around about what other sites there might be figuring that by now there might be some other options available. The two main choices were MFP and one other. The other only had North American food, so it was immediately scratched from the list.

The whole idea of staying under a certain calorie number makes sense.
    I like how exercise calories are added into the calorie limit.
    I like that I can adjust the exercise calories lower to a more realistic number.
    I like that I can just go in and spend about 5 minutes clicking my choices, and my food log is done.
    I like that I can play with "what if" scenarios.

Yeah, the whole number thing is good. :)
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    The logic is simple but for me it hasn't been easy. I am more motivated to exercise now because it allows me to eat more.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    it's easy when you have plenty of bodyfat to live off, once you get leaner your body will fight back with increased hunger, cravings etc
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Simple rules and simple basics, however for some it may not be that easy to follow due to habitual changing and thinking.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Contrary to popular belief, losing weight doesn't have to be a huge hellish struggle! I'm glad to see you're enjoying the process! Great work :)
  • biggsterjackster
    biggsterjackster Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    It is easy to lose weight, but harder to keep it off and change a lifestyle for the rest of your life.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad you found what worked for you immediately. You didn't even need to try all those other potential solutions to weight loss. Keep up the good work!
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    Some days easy and some days hard. Congrats and keep up the great work.

Couldn't agree more. (Especially with the last few pounds.)

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I found it very easy, but then I'm a detail-oriented person. I love making my numbers match every day. I've never minded looking up nutrition information to double check entries or creating new ones.

I think that some people aren't as organized though. Some people don't enjoy working with numbers. I think that for those people, it might seem harder to track everything, especially in the beginning. I tend to think certain personalities probably find it harder than I have. That's not to say they can't succeed...just that they probably don't find it quite as simple as others might.

I am one of those "some people"! I didn't find tracking hard, but OMG so very tedious. It seemed like so much work just to eat food. My path to success was not always easy but it was simple. Eat less than I burn. Only I do it without tracking.
  • Ponkeen
    Ponkeen Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Just don't get discouraged when 'easy' becomes 'trying.' It may, even if only for a while. For me and most of the people I know, the first couple of months were a breeze. The weight peels off and your clothes start to fit differently within the first few weeks. Then your body catches on to what is happening, and suddenly the weight isn't disappearing at quite as quick a clip. Sometimes you have a short plateau. Sometimes life happens, and your carefully regulated diet and calorie counting routine goes by the wayside.
    Do not let it stop you.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Most days in and of themselves are pretty easy for me and have been from the beginning. Every once in a while, I'll have a tough day where all I want to do is eat everything in sight. Sometimes I can deal with it and sometimes I eat. But mostly easy days.

The hard part for me is just the waiting. Even though I can stick to my daily goals, I still have to wait to see the results. So I found other hobbies to keep my mind occupied during the waiting.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    For me, weight loss is just math. If A < B then I'll lose. Now, there's barriers to A actually being less than B, but I can control 95% of those factors, when it's something I focus on and put as a priority. I guess that's the harder part for me. Prioritizing.