Plateau during TOM

Options
So I started back with MFP 2 weeks ago. Have been doing well eating at a deficit, and getting exercise at least 3 days a week. The last week, the scale continually stays at 241-243,depending on the time of day. I've been weighing myself 2 times a day, once in the AM and then right before bed. The only change between the 1st week and now is AF came to town at the end of last week, and I believe she's wrapping up(sorry, have mirena so I cannot predict when I get it and for how long, just that I get one every 4 to 6 mos)

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    One week is not a plateau. It's a stall due to the increased water you hold on to during TOM. Be patient and it will drop off in a few days.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    So I started back with MFP 2 weeks ago. Have been doing well eating at a deficit, and getting exercise at least 3 days a week. The last week, the scale continually stays at 241-243,depending on the time of day. I've been weighing myself 2 times a day, once in the AM and then right before bed. The only change between the 1st week and now is AF came to town at the end of last week, and I believe she's wrapping up(sorry, have mirena so I cannot predict when I get it and for how long, just that I get one every 4 to 6 mos)

umm no

your period is not lasting 6 weeks so that's not a plateau

that's just water retention

it constantly surprises me that adult women are surprised at what their body does around the monthly cycle

water retention around ovulation and periods are fairly normal

don't weigh twice a day - that's nutty - once, first thing in the morning, after the bathroom and naked to get the most consistent weight - daily is up to you - weekly or monthly might suit you better - use a trend tracker like happy scale or Libra apps or the trendweight.com website if you're tracking daily to get overall data on your monthly cycle

water retention also comes with change-up in exercise, increased sodium, carb manipulation etc
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

it constantly surprises me that adult women are surprised at what their body does around the monthly cycle

Agreed. I don't understand how a person can have periods for 10, 20, 30 years and still not know how it all works. I'm determined that my daughter will not be in the dark about it.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    FWIW, I always stall a little leading up to my period and then I drop the weight the day after it starts. Just learn your patterns and it will help with the mental games.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Agreed. I don't understand how a person can have periods for 10, 20, 30 years and still not know how it all works. I'm determined that my daughter will not be in the dark about it.

My daughter just started hers - at 11 (my baby)

She won't let me talk to her any more about it .. I get the look of death .. I dropped the the Toni Weschler for teens book on to her nightstand
  • angelapiekutowski621
    Options

Jeeze thanks for making me feel like a DumbA. Again I do not get a regular AF due to mirena iud. This is the first time I had my TOM while actively trying to loose with mirena. I know all about my cycles prior to mirena due to PCOS.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

My daughter just started hers - at 11 (my baby)

She won't let me talk to her any more about it .. I get the look of death .. I dropped the the Toni Weschler for teens book on to her nightstand

Lol. My daughter is 8. We've had a dog who went into heat (dog in avi was used to breed racers when she was retired and we got her immediately after she weaned and then she went into heat a week before her scheduled spay) and a very...prolific...group of goldfish. We talked reproduction then and then we've read through a couple books together. I have the next book in the series but figure when she gets to the age group for it (10+) she may be at the point where she'll give me the look of death when I mention it too.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options

Jeeze thanks for making me feel like a DumbA. Again I do not get a regular AF due to mirena iud. This is the first time I had my TOM while actively trying to loose with mirena. I know all about my cycles prior to mirena due to PCOS.

The important thing is you now know what a plateau is and can stay sane accordingly. :)