Help me!

Options
Here is a pretty average day for my food:
vutt4rnomj8i.jpg

I hate seeing all of those red numbers. This is still technically a good day for me (I'm at 375lbs, so at this pace, ~1.4 pounds a week). I need to find good foods higher in protein, lower in carbs, a lot lower in sodium. That's the big one for me.

I'm 31 and 6'7 so while I wear the weight alright, but I'm still really obese and it's gotta go. Mostly so I can play basketball again and have energy.

The biggest problem is that I don't like cooking and I can't cook anything except for eggs and hamburgers. Also, I can't add saffron to every meal, so I've got to cut financial corners for the most part.

I've been looking into quinoa and apparently that's great. What else would you suggest? Is there such a thing as a nutrition brick yet?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Help with what?

You could eat less or raise your calorie goal to a more realistic level and that would go a long way toward getting rid of the red.

2000 calories at 375 is really, really low.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you want to change some of your numbers:

You're drinking a lot of your carbohydrates. Switching to non-caloric beverages could really help with this.

Are you feeling full? I noticed that when I eat things like muffins (by themselves), they don't really fill me up and it's a lot of calories for something that is relatively small. You could try switching your breakfast for something that you prepare at home (another way to get more protein into your day). If eggs and hamburgers are what you can prepare, maybe something includes one of those? It's not difficult to create a simple breakfast that is higher in protein and lower in calories. This morning I had a homemade bean burrito -- just some mashed pinto beans, chili powder, and salsa on a small tortilla. It was 265 calories and had double the protein of the muffin. That's just a suggestion -- you can put lots of things on a small tortilla, a piece of toast, or an English muffin and get a breakfast that is quick, has some protein, and is filling.

I notice your lunch sandwich has avocado and cheese. If you're trying to cut the calories, I would choose just one of those. If you're trying to eat less fat, this will also help you do this.

You might want to try checking out the "Recipes" forum to get ideas for easy and affordable meals.
  • moosemoose17
    moosemoose17 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Help with what?

You could eat less or raise your calorie goal to a more realistic level and that would go a long way toward getting rid of the red.

2000 calories at 375 is really, really low.

Sorry for not explaining. Lower sodium, higher protein foods that are easy to cook. Just looking for ideas.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    Grilled chicken, pork, beef, shrimp. Very filling, high protein, low inherent sodium, easy to cook, and can be cooked in multiple ways.

While going from 335 to 209, I ate a lot -- a lot -- of grilled chicken seasoned different ways.
  • moosemoose17
    Options

You're drinking a lot of your carbohydrates. Switching to non-caloric beverages could really help with this.

Are you feeling full? I noticed that when I eat things like muffins (by themselves), they don't really fill me up and it's a lot of calories for something that is relatively small. You could try switching your breakfast for something that you prepare at home (another way to get more protein into your day). If eggs and hamburgers are what you can prepare, maybe something includes one of those? It's not difficult to create a simple breakfast that is higher in protein and lower in calories. This morning I had a homemade bean burrito -- just some mashed pinto beans, chili powder, and salsa on a small tortilla. It was 265 calories and had double the protein of the muffin. That's just a suggestion -- you can put lots of things on a small tortilla, a piece of toast, or an English muffin and get a breakfast that is quick, has some protein, and is filling.

I notice your lunch sandwich has avocado and cheese. If you're trying to cut the calories, I would choose just one of those. If you're trying to eat less fat, this will also help you do this.

You might want to try checking out the "Recipes" forum to get ideas for easy and affordable meals.

Thank you. The calories I don't necessarily mind seeing red as long as it doesn't say 4000. My calories for maintaining is ~3900, so the 2000 is just to try to see if I can hit it, while not starving myself or anything. I think breakfast burritos would be a really good idea.
    I'm trying to cut out soda, but it has it's claws in me.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Thank you. The calories I don't necessarily mind seeing red as long as it doesn't say 4000. My calories for maintaining is ~3900, so the 2000 is just to try to see if I can hit it, while not starving myself or anything. I think breakfast burritos would be a really good idea.
    I'm trying to cut out soda, but it has it's claws in me.

I never thought I could switch from regular to diet soda. I started by using 1/4 cup for diet and filling the rest with regular. Over time I increased the amount of diet soda until I was eventually drinking all diet. I'm not sure if this would work for you, but it may be worth a try.

• moosemoose17
    Options
    I could switch to diet easily. I used to do that. I thought the absence of sugar made you crave more though? Is that a myth?
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    I could switch to diet easily. I used to do that. I thought the absence of sugar made you crave more though? Is that a myth?
    Some people crave things they eliminate, but it's almost certainly psychological.

I mostly drink DP 10 rather than regular Dr Pepper at this point. And a couple of gallons a day of water with Mio. Neither makes me crave sugar.
  • moosemoose17
    Options
    I drink about 8 cups of water at work everyday and a bottle or two a night. My biggest problem is that it's hard for me to eat a meal with just water. Thanks for the clarification on soda. I can beat that.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

It doesn't cause any cravings for me. I don't have it every day anymore (trying to save the money), but when I was losing weight I had 1-3 diet sodas a day. Lots of people here have successfully lost weight while drinking diet soda. I'm not aware of any evidence documenting that it does cause cravings, but I'm not an expert. If you tried it and noticed an increase in cravings, you could always adjust again.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The obvious is the sugar soda, which you've gotten great advice so far.

The second is the salt. You don't need to get fancy with home cooking, but if you want to control salt, it would pay to have a few recipes under your belt.

I suggest a manly chili to start. If you don't have a slow cooker, use a pot on the stove on the lowest setting. Chili on a bun. Bam, done.

Breakfast is an easy start, too. Learn to make oatmeal if you like it. Even instant. Add hot water.

If a recipe calls for an exotic spice, skip it or replace it with something simpler.

http://www.budgetbytes.com/
  • moosemoose17
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    The obvious is the sugar soda, which you've gotten great advice so far.

The second is the salt. You don't need to get fancy with home cooking, but if you want to control salt, it would pay to have a few recipes under your belt.

I suggest a manly chili to start. If you don't have a slow cooker, use a pot on the stove on the lowest setting. Chili on a bun. Bam, done.

Breakfast is an easy start, too. Learn to make oatmeal if you like it. Even instant. Add hot water.

If a recipe calls for an exotic spice, skip it or replace it with something simpler.

http://www.budgetbytes.com/

Thanks. I do steel cut oats with a spoon of peanut butter often, but I did that every day last week and now I don't even want to type the word oats.

I never add salt or butter to anything. EVER. I just like all the salty foods I guess. :)

I do like experimenting with ingredients, so I think chili could be fun.

Good advice.
  • KB1ofaKind
    KB1ofaKind Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey There! What has worked for me and might also help you, is trying to get more protein for breakfast. I almost always have a boiled egg and/or bacon, which helped me cut the morning carbs in half. You seem to have room for some extra protein. And when I’d have oatmeal, I’d add in flaxseed or raw unsalted sunflower seeds for a nutty flavor. I always choose unsalted nuts (pecans, walnuts, almonds). As for drinks, I’ve started using a liquid water enhancer called Stur, which uses stevia as a sweetener. My favorite is the pomegranate cranberry. Hope these ideas are helpful!
  • moosemoose17
    Options
    KB1ofaKind wrote: »
    Hey There! What has worked for me and might also help you, is trying to get more protein for breakfast. I almost always have a boiled egg and/or bacon, which helped me cut the morning carbs in half. You seem to have room for some extra protein. And when I’d have oatmeal, I’d add in flaxseed or raw unsalted sunflower seeds for a nutty flavor. I always choose unsalted nuts (pecans, walnuts, almonds). As for drinks, I’ve started using a liquid water enhancer called Stur, which uses stevia as a sweetener. My favorite is the pomegranate cranberry. Hope these ideas are helpful!

Yes, thank you. I was thinking about using flaxseed. I'll definitely give it a go.
  • rhtexasgal
    rhtexasgal Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure anyone has addressed the fact that the food diary you posted is a little light on fruits and veggies. You are eating a ton of starchy carbs in the bread from the sandwiches and the morning muffin. Perhaps substitute one of those sandwiches for a large salad? Sometimes, at Subway, I will go for their spinach salad with all the veggies they have along with some cheese and meat protein (typically turkey, ham or chicken breast) and have a light vinaigrette on it. All those veggies are quite filling surprisingly.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Did you create the entry for the homemade sandwich yourself, using the recipe builder? If not, I'll guarantee it's not accurate. Not that one entry out of one day is going to make a huge difference, but it's best to be as accurate as possible if you want predictable results.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest learning to cook some basics.. Like eggs and chicken. Increase your protein and less chips and soda type stuff. I sautee almost everything. I found foodstuff that I like and is easy and that's what I stick to. Soups are easy. Protein. Veggies water spices. Done. Rice or noodles if you want. I lime salt a lot too. Its all over my diary. I do a salted tomato as a snack or side. Pb on an apple is awesome too.
  • moosemoose17
    Options
    Awesome guys thanks. I will never eat a salad though. I hate it. I put spinach on every sandwich at Subway though. I love spinach but I can't eat an actual salad. Tastes like dirt. If I douse it ranch its almost bearable, but then again I don't even really like ranch. I'm going to be doing smoothies for breakfast soon. 1/4 or so cup beans, 1/4 cup spinach, honey, cayenne pepper and some fruit to give it some flavor so that will help with the veggies.

Thanks for the info on recipe builder. That will make a difference I'm sure.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Adding in veggies: How about omelettes? Breakfast burritos with some veggies scrambled into your eggs? Soups, stews, casseroles and chilis (just add chopped veggies in), stir fry, mixed into pasta and topped with any sauce (pesto, cheesy, marinara, bolognese, etc). Your vegetables don't have to be plain or relegated to the side.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Try switching to diet. That would be a great start.

Swapping out some of the starchy carbs (chips etc.) for some extra vegetables, even on the sandwich would be good too.