What has protein and low sodium

Options
Just started my diet 4 days ago. I can never reach my protein in take. Not only that I end up going over my sodium in take. Any suggestions to get more protein and less sodium?

Replies

• yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Soya milk, beans, lentils, kale.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Chicken, pork, steak, shrimp.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Is there a medical reason for you to be limiting your sodium intake? If not, your sodium number shouldn't be something you get overly concerned about. Eggs, unsalted nuts, Greek yogurt and meats are good ways to get protein. You might want to open your diary - it would help us make some more suggestions.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Meat.
  • SFCStank
    SFCStank Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Eggs.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Meat.

If you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public we can give you more meaningful replies. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • bacin0532
    bacin0532 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    No no reason just high blood pressure runs in my family
  • bacin0532
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Meat.

If you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public we can give you more meaningful replies. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Just did I'm new to the app lol
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    bacin0532 wrote: »
    Meat.

It looks like it is still closed.
  • bacin0532
    Options
    Meat.

Where go I go to do it?
  • bacin0532
    Options
    your protein goal is 107 g's a day?

No 140g

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Meat.

Where go I go to do it?

Are you on a computer? If so, go to Settings/Diary Settings and choose "Public" as the setting.
  • bacin0532
    Options
    Meat.

Where go I go to do it?

Are you on a computer? If so, go to Settings/Diary Settings and choose "Public" as the setting.

I figured it out and I'm on iPhone
  • bacin0532
    Options
    Is there a medical reason for you to be limiting your sodium intake? If not, your sodium number shouldn't be something you get overly concerned about. Eggs, unsalted nuts, Greek yogurt and meats are good ways to get protein. You might want to open your diary - it would help us make some more suggestions.

I open them
  • bacin0532
    Options
    3,000 calories a day?
    guess you have a lot to lose - good luck.

2,790 and yes I plan to lose 200lbs at a slow pace
  • Lauran845
    Lauran845 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I cannot see your diary, but my suggestion would be to eat whole foods and not processed. It you are using prepared food, it is naturally going to have more sodium than if you cooked it yourself. Also, quinoa, spinach, romaine and broccoli have very high protein without much, if any, sodium. If you eat canned beans, rinse them before you eat them to get rid of some of the sodium on them. Otherwise, use more fresh foods. Good luck!
  • bacin0532
    Options
    Lauran845 wrote: »
    I cannot see your diary, but my suggestion would be to eat whole foods and not processed. It you are using prepared food, it is naturally going to have more sodium than if you cooked it yourself. Also, quinoa, spinach, romaine and broccoli have very high protein without much, if any, sodium. If you eat canned beans, rinse them before you eat them to get rid of some of the sodium on them. Otherwise, use more fresh foods. Good luck!

Thank you for the suggestions
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Taking your weight loss goal at face value, I'll guess you are 340lb-ish. 140g/day is ~0.41g/lb/day, which is higher than USDA recommendations, but below optimal levels to build/maintain muscle, which is in the 0.64-0.82g/lb/day range. Since protein really matters more for muscles than fat, 140g/day is probably fine.

Now, to hit that on a 2700 calorie diet, that is pretty easy. Add a 400g (14oz) slab of chicken breast to your diet and that'll put you at 124 grams of protein and only 660 calories while only consuming 296mg of sodium. The rest of the protein should easily fall in place and you have a ton of calories for everything else.

However, that may not work for you (not everyone wants to eat a ton of chicken every day). Looking at your diary, it looks like a couple simple changes might work for you though. Swap out the feta cheese for slices of chicken breast (or another meat of your choice), and swap out your salad dressing for something lower sodium. Also, ditch the canned tomatoes and use fresh diced tomatoes. Doing that alone would drop yesterday's sodium intake by ~1300mg.