coffee, coffee, coffee

Options

Replies

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I don't log tea or coffee or other similar items (near 0 calories). I don't eat/drink nearly enough for it to have any significant impact. That little amount (even every day) pales in comparison to the gross estimates I use for daily energy expenditure.

If my weight loss wasn't tracking near perfectly to my plan then I might sing a different tune.
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Oh, I only use it in coffee. If I baked with it or something, I'd add it.
  • cheesychiplet
    cheesychiplet Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    hmmm, i don't log my coffee or the milk i use in it as it's minimal and I have lost weight despite of it. I do sometimes drink coffee and miss lunch which i know isn't good but it does allow me a slightly more fulfilling dinner! I will sometimes eat a piece of fruit late afternoon if I feel rubbish for lack of food aswell
  • tomatosoup3
    tomatosoup3 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    haha i definitely use it to replace food! (but only to replace food i would have eaten out of boredom, not hunger.)
    i love a good hot cup of coffee!
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I don't log any calories for the actual coffee, but I log whatever I put in it.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    one americano every morning with whole milk, sometimes with cinnamon, cinnamon and cumin, or pumpkin spice mix. I only log the milk.
  • amberlyda1
    amberlyda1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I still haven't cut my fancy calorie packed creamers..so yeah I just plunck down an extra 160 calories for the day...uggghhhh its on my list to start drinking my coffee black but I just dnt like it and I need my caffeine; but I also need to fit in pants with buttons. 1st world problems. The struggle is real :)
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    ebouchie wrote: »
    I drink two cups (large cups) black with no sugar per day. I do occasionally have another in mid afternoon if I need energy boost and can't go for walk. I Have never logged it except to count towards my water tracking. I have lost 54 lbs.

You count coffee as part of your water tracking? I never thought to do that. I know water tracking is pretty pointless, really, but I like doing it :D I do go off the color of urine, but I'm weird and like to see how many cups of water it takes to get to hydrated pee colors LMAO

• GillianSmith2
    GillianSmith2 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    amberlyda1 wrote: »
    I still haven't cut my fancy calorie packed creamers..so yeah I just plunck down an extra 160 calories for the day...uggghhhh its on my list to start drinking my coffee black but I just dnt like it and I need my caffeine; but I also need to fit in pants with buttons. 1st world problems. The struggle is real :)

I went off milk 17 years ago when i was pregnant with my eldest son and I've never drank it since. but I do tend to drink A LOT of coffee
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    I log the coffee (for the potassium), as well as any milk or half and half I put in it.
  • jfblanco1002
    jfblanco1002 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If I'm not mistaken, you can include coffee if you are tracking your intake of water. I'd had a fitness consultant tell me that it goes to your liquid intake.
  • GillianSmith2
    Options
    If I'm not mistaken, you can include coffee if you are tracking your intake of water. I'd had a fitness consultant tell me that it goes to your liquid intake.

It would be interesting if anyone knows if this is correct.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    It is. Liquid is liquid.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I started logging the coffee because it looks weird in my diary to have "2 tbsp half and half" as a snack.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    I log it. Habit.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    It is. Liquid is liquid.

Yes.

This is not rocket science.

Coffee is flavored water. If you don't count it, then logically you wouldn't count water that has been flavored with a slice of lemon or any of the other things that people use all the time.

• caplanlc
    caplanlc Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I log my coffee, because I feel like it helps me cut back on caffeine and I will drink less if I am logging it. I definitely log the milk or creamer because those calories add up.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I drink black coffee and coffee is 2 calories a cup
    I drink about 7 big mugs a day...that is 14 cups and so 28 calories
    Not much

but when your deficit is only 150 calories than accuracy is a must. So i am as accurate as possible and log everything that has calories....

Another factor is that i need to monitor my potassium intake, and coffee has a fair amount of potassium. I hit my requirement of 3000 mg a day on a regular base as long as i log all my veggies and spices and yes coffee too :)

And that is how i lost my weight and try to find maintenance level atm.

But everybody is different and with a bigger deficit yes i can imagine that you dont bother to log it.

95069916.png

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

It is correct. The diuretic effect of the caffeine is not enough to offset/negate the water you consume (since coffee is just flavored water). The same goes for soda, etc.

Here's the abstract of one study in which they evaluated the diuretic effect of caffeinated drinks compared to water: europepmc.org/abstract/MED/12187618
  • GillianSmith2
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

It is correct. The diuretic effect of the caffeine is not enough to offset/negate the water you consume (since coffee is just flavored water). The same goes for soda, juices, milk, etc.

great stuff :smiley: .. thats my water intake met every day