New Vegetarian

hello everyone !

Replies

• EmBurney
    EmBurney Posts: 6 Member
    edited November 2015
    Hey there! Best of luck with your vegetarian adventures! I'm vegan, so always looking for more friends on here who don't eat meat!
    Feel free to add me!:)
  • ajmoreno24
    ajmoreno24 Posts: 18 Member
    EmBurney wrote: »
    Hey there! Best of luck with your vegetarian adventures! I'm vegan, so always looking for more friends on here who don't eat meat!

I had a lot more on here and I guess it didn't post it!
    I basically created this forum to get some tips and advice on being a new vegetarian. I decided for health purposes and I wanted to see how my body would react to the change! So if you have any tips please feel free to share =]
  • CecoyeJohnson
    CecoyeJohnson Posts: 1 Member
    ajmoreno24 wrote: »
    EmBurney wrote: »

I had a lot more on here and I guess it didn't post it!
    I basically created this forum to get some tips and advice on being a new vegetarian. I decided for health purposes and I wanted to see how my body would react to the change! So if you have any tips please feel free to share =]

Hi all
    New vegetarian here. I'm looking for tips and non-meat eating friends too!! We can learn together (: How long have you guys been on this journey??
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited November 2015
  • QueenKristine77
    QueenKristine77 Posts: 67 Member
    mmmm what is that? do you have the recipe? Please share!!!!
  • RodaRose
    For this, the cheese is key.

http://www.foodwise.com.au/recipes/lentil-chickpea-cheddar-and-onion-burgers/
    Lentil, Chickpea, Cheddar and Onion Burgers

3 tablespoons olive oil
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    400g can lentils, drained and rinsed
    400g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    1 tablespoon tahini paste
    2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
    1 large organic egg, beaten
    100g fresh breadcrumbs
    100g grated Gruyère
    100g feta, crumbled
    plain flour, for dusting
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • mylittlerainbow
    mylittlerainbow Posts: 822 Member
    I have zillions of recipes collected over many years! I do eat fish occasionally, maybe once or twice a month. I cannot go all the way to vegan because I can't give up dairy - I have Greek yogurt every day and at long intervals will put some goat cheese into my salads. I do a LOT of veggie mixes - either crockpot or roasted - and those are great for an entire week when I've cooked them. Lunch is almost always a huge mixed green salad with nuts and fruit and occasionally cubed tofu or goat cheese. Almost every restaurant has a number of choices nowadays for vegetarians, so it isn't even hard to eat out. Good luck - you've made a great choice! (Oh, and holidays like Thanksgiving are EASY - there are so many side dishes that there isn't even room on your plate for turkey.)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,717 Member
    I've been ovo-lacto vegetarian for 41 years (yes, since 1974). Warning: I dislike vegetarian fake-meat products (many are highly processed, some high in fat/salt/carbs), and I find them non-tasty and not satisfying, so I won't recommend them.

My best advice for happy eating: Shift your mindset from the meat-eaters' "one big protein per meal" to a philosophy of eating lots of different protein-containing things, in lots of different ways, woven throughout your meals & snacks. Almost everything I eat (especially things that are higher-calorie) have at least some protein.

You still need adequate protein in order to stay strong. And it will be a little harder to get it. You may even need a few more grams daily because most vegetarian sources are not complete (in their amino acid complement) But you'd be surprised how quickly it adds up, a gram or two or five at a time, if you have lots of different sources, each of which may add only a little. And varied sources can help balance out the essential amino acids.

So, take a look at the more calorie-contributing foods you consume. Are there equally tasty and satiating alternatives that contain more protein?

So, quinoa (or one of the other ancient grains like teff or kamut) instead of rice. Puree white beans or sunflower seeds into "cream" soups. For crunch on salads, use a reasonable portion of pepitas, sunflower seeds, or nuts. Dress the salad with something that includes protein (pureed beans/nuts in the vinaigrette if you're vegan, yogurt-based dressings or cottage cheese if not). Think about beverages with protein (soy or dairy milk products, and even coffee & matcha each have a little!). Snack on Indian puppodums or dry-roasted edamame instead of chips. Pick veggies with some protein (broccoli, spinach, asparagus, peas, others) over veggies that have none.

I'm not saying you should eat things you don't like: Life is too short. But try new things, and look for protein contributors that you *do* like.

There are some (whole-foods-ish) "big proteins", relatively speaking: Beans, soybeans, tempeh, greek yogurt (if you allow milk products), etc. Those are good features in a vegetarian way of eating, too, of course. But I've found the "small stuff adds up" approach to be extremely helpful personally, and not often pointed out by others.

If you want to see what I actually eat, friend me. My diary is open to friends.
  • ajmoreno24
    edited November 2015

Thank you so much this is very helpful and I will most definitely add you and check out your diary =]
  • ajmoreno24
    starting slow worked for me
    still eating fish and chicken,
    red meat was hard enough to give up

I'm still eating some fish as well. So I'm assuming no ones recommends the veggie patty or tofurkey brands? I'm so new that I'm trying to figure it out, they taste good but not sure if they're so healthy
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

I'm still eating some fish as well. So I'm assuming no ones recommends the veggie patty or tofurkey brands? I'm so new that I'm trying to figure it out, they taste good but not sure if they're so healthy

I don't know the "Veggie Patty" brand, but I enjoy Tofurkey. Like any food, look at the macros and calories and see if they fit into your goals. They have plenty of protein. I like the peppered deli slices the best.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    I like Loma Linda's vegetarian meat substitutes, especially the taco filling. I don't mind tofu in Miso soup, but dislike it otherwise. I still eat fish and I will never give up cheese...I'm lucky in some ways, because red meat always makes me feel sick. (From infancy, even. I wouldn't eat the meat-flavored baby food.) Nuts, eggs, cheese, yogurt, fortified pasta (some have 12+ grams protein/serving) are all good ways to meet the protein goal.
  • RodaRose

You can try them. The veggie patties are ok. I hate everything tofurkey.
    For convenience foods I keep canned bean and lentil soups in my cupboard.

• kaypee65
    kaypee65 Posts: 120 Member
    I swtiched to flexitarian a few months ago purely for health reasons. But my diet is largely meat free at this point. AnnPT77 makes a very important point. The greatest benefit to going vegetarian over "eating more vegetables" is the change in culture. My food culture has shifted from animal protein plus accessory dishes to delicious, interesting, and in some cases, complex plant based meals. I'll cook things that I'd never had made as side dishes. Chick pea picatta over mashed cauliflower and potato. Amazing. But it's only going on the center of the plate. The "eat more veggies" culture would have tossed a few lonely, mealy, boring chickpeas into a salad.

Personally if a vegetarian or vegan meal is delicious and filling I feel perfectly satisfied.

My best recommendation for testing the vegan waters is Appetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. Wonderful recipes, no exotic ingredients, and all very practical.
  • kaypee65
    kaypee65 Posts: 120 Member
    I like tofu, but cannot get past the mealy tempeh texture. I can choke back crisp baked home made tempeh bacon, but I am never again going to buy a compressed brick of mealy dry nastiness. I adore fermented foods, even natto. But tempeh is my nemesis.
  • ajmoreno24
    kaypee65 wrote: »
    I swtiched to flexitarian a few months ago purely for health reasons. But my diet is largely meat free at this point. AnnPT77 makes a very important point. The greatest benefit to going vegetarian over "eating more vegetables" is the change in culture. My food culture has shifted from animal protein plus accessory dishes to delicious, interesting, and in some cases, complex plant based meals. I'll cook things that I'd never had made as side dishes. Chick pea picatta over mashed cauliflower and potato. Amazing. But it's only going on the center of the plate. The "eat more veggies" culture would have tossed a few lonely, mealy, boring chickpeas into a salad.

Personally if a vegetarian or vegan meal is delicious and filling I feel perfectly satisfied.

My best recommendation for testing the vegan waters is Appetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. Wonderful recipes, no exotic ingredients, and all very practical.

so true! It's only been a week and a half but I see myself get more creative with my fooD and now my son wants to do it!
  • tsuda
    tsuda Posts: 1 Member
    edited November 2015
    A good resource is Dr. Michael Gregory. He provides the science behind the vegan diet. His web site is NutritionFacts.org He has a lot of good videos on YouTube. And it's all free