treadmill worth it or no?

Options
2»

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I only use a treadmill occasionally at the gym. My dad has a treadmill in his home gym and I absolutely will not use it. No matter how much you adjust the belt, my feet slip out from under me. It scares me to death.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I prefer to run outside, but we do own a treadmill. I use it when the weather is bad or if I'm working out before work and its still dark. I don't mind the dark too much if its evening because my husband will run with me, but he doesn't run with me if I go in the morning.

I watch movies on my phone to help with the boredom and keep the runs short (usually 3 miles or less).
  • kheck65
    kheck65 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a treadmill runner. I have one in my basement that I never use because I find my motivation going to the gym. I think the important topic here is do whatever works to increase activity.

I totally understand your feelings about not wanting to run outside. I too had those same feelings but the treadmill built my confidence and now I can. I will say that I envy every person I see running outside. Thin, thick, short, tall, it takes commitment to your health. Seeing a jogger is very inspirational to me!

I didn't start running until I was 40 because I thought the task was impossible for me. I started out slow on treadmill. Every other day, started walking 29 minutes and ran 1. Every week I increased my run time by one minute. Now I could probably run forever!
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I ran 4 miles on one last night

It was cold and rainy and dark

Not feeling it outside

It is a good tool
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    If you'll use it, then its worth it. If you won't use it, then..... Personally, I do not like to be outside once the temperature drops below 40. Once it hits freezing, I think I'd rather chew off my own foot than put it outside the door to exercise. But definitely look around for a used one, if cost is a factor. People are always looking to get rid of the exercise equipment that they bought thinking it would "inspire" them to get in shape, and ended up using as expensive clothes racks.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill and it's helped me a lot in dropping 37lbs. I have 3 young kids and can't always get to the gym during the childcare hours. I either wake up early before my kids and get in a 30 minute walk/jog or do it after I get my kids to bed at 8:30am. I couldn't live without my treadmill. My advise is make sure you read reviews and spend the little extra for a longer tread length and stability.
  • williamburboss
    williamburboss Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone...
    kheck65 wrote: »
    I'm a treadmill runner. I have one in my basement that I never use because I find my motivation going to the gym. I think the important topic here is do whatever works to increase activity.

I totally understand your feelings about not wanting to run outside. I too had those same feelings but the treadmill built my confidence and now I can. I will say that I envy every person I see running outside. Thin, thick, short, tall, it takes commitment to your health. Seeing a jogger is very inspirational to me!

I didn't start running until I was 40 because I thought the task was impossible for me. I started out slow on treadmill. Every other day, started walking 29 minutes and ran 1. Every week I increased my run time by one minute. Now I could probably run forever!

I hope I can get there, run forever. 5 min is a push right now.... But start slow build up.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Half the basements in America have a treadmill that is used for hanging laundry but nothing else.

Go out the door and walk around the block. If the weather is bad find somewhere protected to walk.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It's worth it if you know it won't turn into a towel hanger. I have my treadmill and I love it. It's very convenient. I love the fact that I can walk/run whenever the desire strikes, even in the middle of the night. I love that I don't have to carry water with me or buy expensive exercise clothes that are weather-specific. No cars/people/pets to avoid, no rocks to trip over, no obstacles... Just you, your thoughts, and probably an audiobook.

I've had mine for 3 years and I haven't fallen out of love with it yet. Now a good treadmill is a serious investment, so you need to make sure you like it before you buy one. I don't find it boring, but many people do. Try one at the gym or at a friend's place a few times first to see if you like it, and don't buy a cheap one if you end up deciding that it's for you, they're more trouble than they're worth. Also make sure to get a good warranty.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Will you use it consistently and get your money's worth out of it? Will you be motivated to get up and move more than you do right now? Then, yes, buy it. Is your only concern that are too big to run in public but love to run outdoors? Then, no, get outside and do your thing. Anyone who judges you for doing something good for yourself isn't worth your worry. What other people think of you is none of your business. Love yourself and the future you. If you need a little more inspiration...here are a few of my favorites:

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/03/10/to-the-fatty-running-on-the-track_n_4935194.html

http://www.eonline.com/news/685677/woman-slams-idiot-who-fat-shamed-her-during-a-run-in-powerful-open-letter-i-am-not-ashamed-of-my-body
  • anroyal1
    anroyal1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I get on mine in the evening because it is getting dark early. I put on something I like to watch on Netflix and the time goes by so much faster. I walk on the treadmill, I do not run. I have had it for three years and I still use it. It really depends on the person.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It's not like the person asking the question doesn't already know they can run outdoors, so bringing that up in these discussions always seems pointless. For many people, and for many reasons, outdoor running is not an option.

Having quality exercise equipment at home can be a great convenience and can really help with your weight loss/fitness goals. I am a big believer in investing in quality equipment. Not only does it feel great from day 1, it will still feel great after year 10. If you get busy, fall off the wagon, etc, for a few months, any time you are ready to get back, there is a low barrier to re-entry because it's sitting right there for you.

It's hard for me to recommend specific brands/models because a)I haven't been in the market for a few years and I don't know what's out there; b) I am willing to invest in top quality fitness equipment, probably more than the average person needs. I would, however, recommend staying out of big box department stores. Go to a fitness specialty retailer. You can try different models at different price levels and see/feel the difference.

I have a Life Fitness T5.5 model that I bought in 2008. There have been stretches where I have gone 6 months without using it (usually injury related) and times where I have used it 4-5 times a week. When I get on it today, it still feels like it did the day it came out of the box. The longest I have run on it was 10 miles--usually I run or do incline walking for 30-60 minutes at a time. My wife and 2 adult step children use it occasionally as well.
  • amberlyda1
    amberlyda1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I like it. I use the gym ones, but if I had the space I would love one for my home. Running inside for me comes down to my time. Im in school full time, i work and have 3 kids. I can rarely find the time to have someone watch the kids while i go out for a run; but my gym has daycare.The only time I can really justify watching TV is if I'm at the gym. Plus then I don't have to hear my husband groan while I watch scandle. So I bring my kindle and throw on some hulu while I sweat at the gym. Even if I'm having a blah day I can at least get the energy together to walk while I watch a show or two.
    I would buy one in a heartbeat if I had the room at home
  • ajcsviper
    ajcsviper Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Treadmill is a good home solution if you don't get out to the gym or neighborhood walks. I have one and use it most when I don't have time to get to the gym.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options
    I love my treadmill. Where I live it's way too hot and humid to run outside for most of the year, and then as soon as it gets pleasant the time changes and I don't leave work until after dark. :( Like others have posted, I usually watch Netflix while I walk/jog and my rule is that I can't watch unless I'm on the treadmill. I use mine 5-6 days a week. I broke my wrist 6 weeks ago and all I can do is cardio, so my treadmill has been a godsend!
  • carliekitty
    carliekitty Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Do whatever feels comfortable to you. If you want to run whenever you want then a treadmills awesome. I use one at the gym for speed work. Where I live my run routes infested w crosswalks and lights and if I don't wait I am risking my life....my neighbors are horrible drivers!!!! I run mainly outdoors but a treadmill is extremely useful. Do what gets YOU moving .
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,964 Member
    Options
    I get so bored on the treadmill.
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    We have owned our treadmill for 15 years, my husband used it on and off over the years, but i never really did, because it was "too hard".

When I started exercising almost a year ago, (I was at 270 pounds) it was the middle of winter, January 7th. I live in a very cold, hilly, snowy place, so walking out doors was nearly impossible for me. I could just barely make it to the car!

I did 10 minutes on my treadmill. I nearly died, but then I pushed it to 15, 25, and 35 minutes. By spring I was walking fast for an hour and 15 minutes.

And...i was pretty much sick of the treadmill!

I walked outside, did C25K and started jogging, did a 5k race every month since May and now for the month of November I am jogging and/or walking at least 30 miles per week.

And...now it gets dark so early and it is so cold outside that I am back on the treadmill!

This time I am down to 189 pounds and I am working on building up my speed so that I can break my 5k time record.

So my answer for you is -Yes! No! And Yes!