2 years of exercising 6 days a week and can't see any changes in my body.

Options
Hi everyone

I guess this is a me feeling sorry for myself post, but I really want your opinions please.

I am 5ft 7 female aged 41 and 140lbs. The thing is that I weighed exactly the same 2 years ago and my body fat percentage has always been the same too - 24.7%. Even on other scales I'm the same.

2 years ago I started exercising and soon built up to running 4-5 times per week, plus swimming 2 times per week and 3 sessions a week of Milon circuit (a weights and cardio circuit that takes 35 minutes)

I would have expected to have at least dropped 6lbs and a dress size, but I really haven't. I'm sure I'm not over eating and even if I was it would be strange that my weight would remain exactly the same.

Apart from the cardiovascular benefits and a general feeling of well being since starting this exercise regime I really can't see any other benefits.

What do you think?

Replies

• RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I think that's weird.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I think you look great based on your profile picture. What other benefits are you looking from exercise besides overall improvement in health? Do you like the workouts you're doing? Your stats seem fine. I googled Milon circuit and I know for me to see changes in my body as far as muscle that circuit would not be enough for me and I would have to hit the weight room. Is that what you're looking for?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    1. Body fat scales are inaccurate.
    2. Food intake is where you make it or break it with weight loss.
    3. The weights and cardio circuit is probably not enough of a challenge to your muscles to cause recomposition, it's mostly cardio and not much for the weights.
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I initially thought it would be your diet, are you 100% sure you are getting enough protein and tracking accurately? Looks like you train once or twice a day, that's a lot of steady state cardio, which in my opinion doesn't do much for your body composition. I would lift weights 3 or 4 times a week, with an emphasis on strength training as per a prescribed work out regime like 5x5, 531, strong curves. Keep the cardio to 1-2 days a week
  • bumblebee
    bumblebee Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    VegasFit wrote: »
    I think you look great based on your profile picture. What other benefits are you looking from exercise besides overall improvement in health? Do you like the workouts you're doing? Your stats seem fine. I googled Milon circuit and I know for me to see changes in my body as far as muscle that circuit would not be enough for me and I would have to hit the weight room. Is that what you're looking for?

Thanks for your reply. I guess I'm looking for toned muscles and a longer,leaner look. I'm quite curvy and want to be leaner looking.
  • bumblebee
    Options
    mike_bold wrote: »
    I initially thought it would be your diet, are you 100% sure you are getting enough protein and tracking accurately? Looks like you train once or twice a day, that's a lot of steady state cardio, which in my opinion doesn't do much for your body composition. I would lift weights 3 or 4 times a week, with an emphasis on strength training as per a prescribed work out regime like 5x5, 531, strong curves. Keep the cardio to 1-2 days a week

Thanks for the advice. The protein could be the answer
  • Backagainbbg340
    Backagainbbg340 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    If that's your current pic u look just fine!!
  • bumblebee
    Options
    If that's your current pic u look just fine!!

Thanks!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    bumblebee wrote: »
    Hi everyone

I guess this is a me feeling sorry for myself post, but I really want your opinions please.

I am 5ft 7 female aged 41 and 140lbs. The thing is that I weighed exactly the same 2 years ago and my body fat percentage has always been the same too - 24.7%. Even on other scales I'm the same.

2 years ago I started exercising and soon built up to running 4-5 times per week, plus swimming 2 times per week and 3 sessions a week of Milon circuit (a weights and cardio circuit that takes 35 minutes)

I would have expected to have at least dropped 6lbs and a dress size, but I really haven't. I'm sure I'm not over eating and even if I was it would be strange that my weight would remain exactly the same.

Apart from the cardiovascular benefits and a general feeling of well being since starting this exercise regime I really can't see any other benefits.

What do you think?

How did you track your intake to be sure

That said, if that profile pic is you, you look great. Don't stress it...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    3. The weights and cardio circuit is probably not enough of a challenge to your muscles to cause recomposition, it's mostly cardio and not much for the weights.
    This. If no changes are happening, then these are the possible reasons.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    You obviously are not overeating or you would have gained fat. You can lose fat without losing any weight. Perhaps you've been doing a recomp (losing fat and gaining muscle while eating at maintenance). Have you measured to see if you've lost inches? It's often hard to see the small changes.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    VegasFit wrote: »

Thanks for your reply. I guess I'm looking for toned muscles and a longer,leaner look. I'm quite curvy and want to be leaner looking.

If this is what your goal is then definitely hit the weights! Start a designed program as someone has already mentioned. I, too, made the mistake of doing lots of cardio 6 days per week expecting big changes. Never happened. I was spinning my wheels and got burned out. Thankfully, I smartened up, almost completely cut the cardio and focused mainly on lifting. I dropped almost 15 lbs. and lost several inches. Now I maintain with almost 100% lifting. Just my personal experience.
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Alternatively you could also ramp up your run training and work on getting faster. Look at the top non-pro female finishers at any running race - is that the look you're after? Have your times changed much in your 2 years? Does racing interest you in the slightest?
  • lifeandleaves
    lifeandleaves Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    A note on 'toning:' muscle tone is just muscle that has been worked hard. You will not be at risk of looking like a body builder by picking up heavier weights; one must really challenge the muscle to build it up to give a toned look, and to build muscle that burns extra fat all day.

High-intensity interval training may help burn some extra fat. Try a cardio circuit, or running intervals, or Insanity workout in front of the telly - whatever works for you to get you into the high-intensity zones for short spurts. Strength training will help change the shape of your body, giving you muscle tone, and altogether stronger, slimmer shape. Your weight may not change, as you build muscle up, but your shape would.

A final note: 24.5% body fat is fairly ideal for a non-athlete female. If you want to reduce this, you need to change something in your diet and exercise routine, i.e. check your macros, add protein (a variety, including plant-based proteins) and intensify your exercise regimen.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    stop cardio - start lifting. :) easy.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    lots of cardio in your routine. I support the posters above calling for more weight training (progressive), to stress the muscles. You look great already, but if you want to see some definition and muscle, you will need to hit the weights a bit. Cardio is fine, but does little to give you that toned look you desire.
  • bumblebee
    Options
    Guys your answers are great thank you. I'm going to try heavier weights and work on my running speed x
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

This. @usmcmp knows her stuff.

Running speed isn't going to help you build muscle, or lose fat. A calorie deficit will help you lose fat (food scale and accurate logging) which is necessary based on your goals. A progressive weights program would help you maintain or build muscle.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I'm quite curvy and want to be leaner looking.

Presuming your genetics support the kind of look you have in mind of course. I would suggest a slight re shift in your mindset to being the best version of you that you can be.

That said you have plateaued. That means you are eating at maintenance and your exercise regime has effectively stayed the same in terms of the combination of intensity, frequency and / or duration.

The most direct route to your stated goals (although by no means the only route and yes, running or any other form of "cardio" could be a route as well) would be:

1) Create a reasonable calorie deficit and track this deficit with precision
    2) Focus on a good resistance training routine with at least 3 sessions a week
    3) Supplement with appropriate amounts of cardio (which can be none if you desire but doing some helps as an insurance policy against over eating, allows you to eat more which helps with overall adherence etc)
    4) Be consistent
    5) Be patient
    6) Don't quit
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    All cardio won't change your body comp (and I am a Zumba freak). I got to my goal weight of 127 at 5'3", almost three years ago, which is about the equivalent of you and was a size 8. I don't pay attention to my body fat %.

In over a year of strength training I lost 2 sizes (I'm a size 4) and no weight through adding three days of free weights to my routine. I don't know anything about bulking or cutting. I only know what I did is noticeable to me and everyone I know.