Dvd for heavy lifting?

Options
I need dvd kind of guidelines for a heavy lifting routine. Does such a thing exist?

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I've never seen or heard of such a thing. Just pick a program that you like and do it, no DVDs required.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    Youtube or Mehdi's videos on the strong lifts 5x5 website
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Body Beast if you're willing to pay. If you are looking to go the free route there is tons on YouTube I've found.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Body Beast if you're willing to pay. If you are looking to go the free route there is tons on YouTube I've found.

Body Beast is a pretty solid program. It was actually what got me into lifting. I loved it.. but it is a bit expensive.
  • justmytype
    justmytype Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5. I've had great results. It's a simple program and there's a free app. There's also a Stronglifts 5x5 for Women group here on MFP where you can ask questions, see form videos and get support.
  • Soundwave79
    Soundwave79 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Body Beast is a pretty solid program. It was actually what got me into lifting. I loved it.. but it is a bit expensive.

It's $40 on Beach Body now and I've seen it even cheaper on Amazon at times. They've dropped the price on it quite a bit. Plus Sagi has a new program coming out with Autumn Calabrese called Hammer and Chisel. I'm hoping he does a Body Beast 2 next.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    SL5x5 is so easy that no DVD's are required. What will benefit you though is watching youtube videos on proper form along with reading in detail the sections on stronglifts.com about form.

Once you've spent a week or so lifting, take some videos of yourself and compare it to the form videos on youtube or even post on here or another site (like bodybuilding.com) to check your form.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I had a really funny image of someone taping a dvd to a set of plates and lifting it :)
  • psuLemon
    Options

It's $40 on Beach Body now and I've seen it even cheaper on Amazon at times. They've dropped the price on it quite a bit. Plus Sagi has a new program coming out with Autumn Calabrese called Hammer and Chisel. I'm hoping he does a Body Beast 2 next.

Oh that could be interesting.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options

Agreed. I love Body Beast. It is all set up and spelled out for you but is a bit pricey. Totally worth it in my opinion.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    SL5x5 is so easy that no DVD's are required. What will benefit you though is watching youtube videos on proper form along with reading in detail the sections on stronglifts.com about form.

THIS.
    No sense in throwing away your money on DVDs. You could pay for a month or two of a gym membership with the $40 you'd save over the beach body DVDs.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options

Once you've spent a week or so lifting, take some videos of yourself and compare it to the form videos on youtube or even post on here or another site (like bodybuilding.com) to check your form.

The Stronglifts app has videos on it to show form and they're on the website too.
  • ds6099
    ds6099 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    What's P90x like?
  • nordlead2005
    edited November 2015
    Options
    ds6099 wrote: »
    What's P90x like?

Unless you are already relatively fit, it will kick your butt and make you want to quit within 1 week. At least, that is how I view it. I could probably do it now (after 9 months of lifting and losing 38lb), but I have no interest in doing cardio DVDs and at this point I already have a program that challenges me more in the strength department.

EDIT: to answer the actual question it is a combination of cardio and body weight training.
  • ds6099
    ds6099 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    What's P90x like?

Unless you are already relatively fit, it will kick your butt and make you want to quit within 1 week. At least, that is how I view it. I could probably do it now (after 9 months of lifting and losing 38lb), but I have no interest in doing cardio DVDs and at this point I already have a program that challenges me more in the strength department.

Is p90x strictly weight lifting?
  • nordlead2005
    Options
    What's P90x like?

no, I edited my reply above. It is cardio and body weight exercises. I also forgot they do use some light resistance (I can't remember if it was dumbbells and/or bands).
  • psuLemon
    edited November 2015
    Options
    What's P90x like?

no, I edited my reply above. It is cardio and body weight exercises. I also forgot they do use some light resistance (I can't remember if it was dumbbells and/or bands).

It uses both... and it can be heavy as you can keep reps to 8. But no where near as good as beast in terms of a lifting program.

P90x is 3 days of resistance training, 2 HIIT and 1 very long yoga.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    As a yoga teacher, I don't think P90X yoga is safe for those new to yoga, dealing with injuries, or just starting to exercise after being very sedentary.

I do recommend it to people who think yoga is "just stretching."
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    The best DVD for heavy lifting I've seen is the Starting Strength video series.

http://startingstrength.com/site/videos

*edited to add that it's free on the website and youtube.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    What's P90x like?

Not heavy lifting.