grilled chicken breast tips needed

Options
I like spicy food. I can't cook worth a damn. I can grill half decent. Please help me make grilled chicken breast not be boring anymore. Please explain how to accomplish this task in simple terms, since I only know how to sprinkle Mrs dash, pour franks red hot sauce on and drench my chicken breast in gravy.

Replies

• Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    in my blog I have a recipe for "Garlic-Lime Chicken" it is very spicy (and very yummy!)--got it from a cookbook called "Saving Dinner." Let me know if you try it. It's really easy.
  • EMSNJOEY
    EMSNJOEY Posts: 20
    Options
    You could marinate the chicken breasts over night in a spicy marinade and then grill them. Or you could seaosn them with onion powder, garlic powder, cayene pepper and sea salt and grill that way...
  • maureendonahue
    maureendonahue Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Marinate in fat free Italian salad dressing then grill them up!
  • bacarter18
    bacarter18 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    you could look up some healthy/low sodium marinades. try some rubs. do kabobs with veggies.
  • Jasnbeck98
    Jasnbeck98 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This recipe is not spicy, but my 10 year old who hates chicken even likes this. Take a few chicken breast and put them in the crock pot, then put the following on top of the chicken--- 1/2 c unsweetened apple juice, one cored/peeled/sliced granny smith apple, and 1 c cranberries (fresh or frozen) and put the crock pot on low for 6-8 hours....super good!
  • denisecc
    denisecc Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Olive oli in a pan, with sliced chicken breasts, cook till its not pink anymore, add sliced white onion, fresh garlic and mulit colored peppers sliced cook until the veggies are done to your liking..
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    bump
  • henney16
    henney16 Posts: 288
    Options
    I use Mrs. Dash Extra Spicy seasoning (no sodium) and it gives it a nice kick!
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I like to marinate and cook them in olive oil and vinegar dress(or Italian Fat Free if you want). It adds some calories but if you let it sit 45 minutes or so in the dressing it comes out so tender and juicy. I learned the trick to let chicken sit out at room temp for 30-45 minutes before cooking and it stays much moister. Someone had told me the tip and I guess he heard it from Rachel Ray.
  • LLaDonna
    LLaDonna Posts: 126
    Options
    In our house we make a dish called "Chicken Mexicana". It's a one skillet wonder:

Chicken breasts, a can of tomato sauce, 1/2 can of corn,1/2 cup black beans, a packet of taco seasoning, 1/2 cup water and olives. You can bake it all together, throw it in the crockpot or brown in the skillet and add other stuff later. I serve it to the kids over rice with cornbread or tortillas. The carbs of course are optional...
  • tjsusong
    tjsusong Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    McCormicks Grillmates have some excellent options for marinades. I love them all! I have a few faves, Mesquite and Chipotle Lime. They really are so good, I highly recommend trying them. Best when marinated the day before. You can pretty much marinate a weeks worth of chicken on Monday (or Sunday) and have chicken for every night of the week in different marinades. They really have become a blessing for me! Grill them up with some grilled veggies and you have a GREAT dinner!!
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Curry chicken is good too I do a basic one with red bell peppers(or a mixture) and onions, garlic and carrots. Either in a fuller breast section or the strips. I tend to like them cut in strips best. And I put them over brown rice or quinoa. Spice it up more with red pepper powder or cayenne. I want some just from typing that out. Guess I need to get some chicken tomorrow.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Lite Beer / lite Soy Sauce / Garlic / Ginger - I like chicken thighs - Remove bones and trim any obvious fat, cook with skin, but remove before eating. You can also use Chicken breasts. 2/3rds Beer, 1/3 Soy, 1T Garlic, 1T Ginger (change it up to your taste - We like extra garlic) Marinate anywhere from 1 hour to 4 hours. Grill it up!!
  • warphoenix
    warphoenix Posts: 47
    Options
    Wow thank you all very much for the suggestions and please keep them coming! A lot of these seem very interesting and will spice things up.

I was at a loss when I could no longer grill my chicken with sweet baby rays BBQ sauce and after while I was finding chicken to becoming bland, since I ate it almost the same way for 2 months.

Has anyone tried Walden Farms BBQ Sauce? http://www.waldenfarms.com/products/sauce_bbq.html I was considering giving that a try, but wanted to know what any of you thought after tasting it.

Thanks again for the suggestions! They are appreciated!
  • warphoenix
    Options
    AM bump
  • thelandofwin
    Options
    In case you can't get the grill out one day, here are some pan instructions:

Preheat a skillet on medium high for 2 minutes
    Add Pam cooking spray or a tiny amount of olive oil (be careful on this, calories can add up quickly. If the oil burns, the pan is too hot - reduce temperature slightly)
    Cook on one side for approximately 4-6 minutes depending on the width of the chicken breast
    Turn once and cook on the other side
    Use the touch test like you would on a grill to determine doneness (raw meat is squishy and with practice you can feel with the meat is done)
    Let meat rest for 4-5 minutes

When grilling or using pan, let the meat sit for 30-45 minutes at room temperature. Also 30 minutes before, use a healthy amount of sea salt or kosher salt to make a crust with a touch of pepper. Try not to cut into the meat until after it is done resting, and only turn once for best results.

If you want to make fajitas, marinade the chicken breast in lime juice (I prefer real limes, not the fake stuff. Usually 1 lime per breast) and a touch of vinegar. Grill or pan cook red bell peppers and onions.

Edit: You can use chipotle powder or cayenne to raise the heat on the fajitas.
  • warphoenix
    Options
    Thanks for the thorough detail and suggestions Winlandc!
  • kretakano
    kretakano Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    try tandoori chicken! pataks and sharwoods have very nice tandoori pastes. just brush it on to the chicken before cooking it ;-) works also really well with salmon
  • warphoenix
    Options
    Wow Kretakano, Thanks for that suggestion. That chicken looks awesome after googling it !