Husband is no help

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    You can have an opinion on what your spouse should do, but he has to WANT to do it. You can do it without him. Clear some space in the fridge and cupboard for the items you do want to eat and focus on those things.

Many of us here (including myself) lost weight without our spouses changing their habits.

^This. Also realize that you can still eat the same things but you just have to account for them in your day. I just made the same old stuff and ate less or made a separate side for myself to get in some extra vegetables.

Leading by example works way more often than pressuring or nagging.

ETA: About 6 months in, my husband came up to me and asked how many calories were in something he was about to eat. We got out the food scale and since that day he's been logging away.

My husband is going through something similar. He often asks me for ways to reduce calories in some of his favorite dishes and he has been eating way more fruit and vegetables. It's like he had to see me go through it and see that I wasn't giving up everything that made me happy before he could consider change. I think it helps that I never tried to get him to change, I was just upfront about what I was doing. I don't think he'll ever log, but it's cool to see him taking more control of his health.

That's fantastic. I have to admit, I was thrilled when he asked because, while he's in decent shape, we're at that early 40s area where things are achangin' and I really wanted us both to get ahead of it. I never in a million years thought he'd take the time to log but I guess seeing how easy it was for me eased him into the mindset. Being upfront helped and he was always good about waiting for me to log or asking me "how many grams of ice cream do you want?" so he was involved without me asking him to be. Then one day he asked me about my powerlifting... :D

That's so awesome. I think we underestimate the power of the low key example. Sometimes seeing someone else make a change is the best way to imagine ourselves making it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    By the way, hubby is quite happy to enjoy the benefits of our improved eating habits (as I do the cooking), patting his trimmer stomach in satisfaction. He defers to me also for nutrition advice, what is better for him to eat.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Bad foods don't make you overweight, bad portions do - I've lost about 55 lb so far, and some of what you'd see in my diary:
    Cake, cookies, ice cream, french fries, potato chips, fast food, red meat, etc. Most days I have at least some calories of food with a low nutritional value.

You don't lose by eating better foods - although you can get other health benefits - but by better control of the amount you eat. The only times I really think you should totally exclude a food are in you have a medical reason, if you're unable to eat that food in moderation, or for personal preferences / beliefs.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    mrsjmsrvrs wrote: »
    I'm definitely doing it without him. But how do you stick to a diet when they don't eat the good stuff and just bring all the bad stuff in?

It would be tough for me to always see food I want and don't want to eat. I'd ask him to keep it out of your sight as much as possible.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely doing it without him. But how do you stick to a diet when they don't eat the good stuff and just bring all the bad stuff in?

I didn't change the food I eat for the most part and my family eats the same as always. They have different calorie needs and preferences so we are not going to ever eat exactly the same.
    I prelog my food and that really helps me. I drink water or unsweetened tea mostly so I save my calories for food.
    Stop thinking of food as good or bad. Food is food. Think instead of what food meets your nutritional needs and is satisfying to you for the amount of calories.
    Want to lose weight more than you want to eat above your calorie goal.
    Eat food you like every day. Fit it in your calorie goal. Eat in a way you can for the rest of your life. If you can't see yourself giving up a food forever then learn the portion size that is appropriate for your goal and keep it in your diet.
    Portion out food instead of eating out of containers. Use smaller plates or bowls.
    Put food away out of sight.
    Buy or make less food at a time.
    Eat smaller portions of higher calorie foods and add more lower calorie foods like vegetables. I will have my hamburger with a salad instead of fries for instance.
    Get enough protein, fats and fiber to help you feel full and satisfied.
    If you have 30 lbs or less to lose don't set your goal to be more than 1 lb a week.
  • Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    If the kind of food he likes to eat are types you overindulge in or act as trigger foods maybe set up "his" and "hers" food storage in the kitchen. Put the tempting stuff out of sight.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Willpower. Same thing at my house. Sometimes I give in, usually I don't.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options

I eat mostly the same foods I always did, just different portion sizes.

I actually have more "junk" in the house than we did before because I feel less guilty when I eat it now.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

What bad stuff ?

Just focus on you and accomplishing what you set out to do.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options

My man makes his own choices outside of our home but inside I do all the shopping! I buy him the cereal he likes for his snacky munchies but his lunches have balanced options. He eats what I cook for dinner, I cater to his tastes but I cook it so I can happily enjoy it too. You can lovingly let him know he doesn't have to change his body for you, but for the health of you and the family (kids learn habits from M&D! It really does matter) that you're not buying XY or Z anymore because if its in the house you'll have a harder time meeting your goals.

He doesnt have to do it too, but there are little things he can do to help, you just have to communicate with him about it. My partner does his best, but I just remember that these are my private goals not his. Its not fair to say no yums can live in the house, I just designate them as "his" then I find the temptation less.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    If it's super hard, go buy a pretty lock for his pantry door at the hardware store, install it, and give your hubby the only keys :grin:
  • kayakerandbiker
    kayakerandbiker Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    RaeBeeBaby wrote: »
    Stop looking for reasons outside your own will. You have to take control of your life and not expect him to get on board. It would be NICE if he did, but if you wait for him to join you, you may never take that first step. If you do the shopping, then stop buying junk at the grocery store and fill your cupboards and fridge with healthy foods. Let him purchase the junk if he wants, but you don't have to eat it. My (naturally) thin husband eats cookies and chips every single day at work, along with healthy meals that I prepare for both of us. After I started eating healthy I really didn't want any of the high calorie junky snacks anymore. Hubby eats less of them because he hates to shop and they're not around at home anymore.

You might be surprised. Once you start changing your habits, he may just get on board of his own accord!

This. my husband hasn't any need to reduce his weight (he's 5'8"/142 lbs). He has always had a sweet tooth, but I noticed this summer on his own initiative he's eating apples, oranges and now, pears. He still loves his cookies, but he doesn't choose them as often. In your husband's case, he'll come to terms with good health and weight management on his own terms and in his own time. In the meantime, you do what's in your best interest

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    I am trying to watch my caloric intake, and start exercising more. My husband SHOULD do the same but refuses. Our cupboards and fridge are full of items I shouldn't be eating. How do I get him to be more on board with earing healthier, snacking less, and generally being more supportive? We both have gained at least 30 lbs in the 5 years we've been married. Part of my weight gain is from the baby, but he was born 10 months ago. I just don't know what to do!!!
    Your goal isn't his goal. If he doesn't want to be on board, then you do it on your own. Unfortunately family and relatives aren't always going to be supportive and sometimes will be the bane in your weight loss journey.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    You can only control what you do. It may be that he should get on board, but it's ultimately his choice. Just because he does what he does, doesn't mean you have to, either.

You can't change him, you can only change you. You make the best choices you can and let him do the same.

My husband also could stand to eat better and exercise more, but he doesn't. He keeps saying he wants to, but ultimately has not done anything. That's on him, not me. I choose to lead by example. I usually skip the snacks and stuff he has laying around but if I do eat something, I weigh/measure out a single portion and eat that and log it and move on. We still eat pizza and burgers and other things that we both love, but I limit my portions and almost always stay within my nutrition goals. I don't use his choices as an excuse to not take responsibility for myself. I continue to exercise regularly with or without (almost entirely without) him. I hope that one day soon, he will choose to join me, but if not, again, that's on him. So far, I have lost 100 pounds and he has gained about another 20. I will continue to do what I am doing and lead by example and hope that he will chose to join me, but until HE makes that choice, I won't say a word.
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options

I eat mostly the same foods I always did, just different portion sizes.

I actually have more "junk" in the house than we did before because I feel less guilty when I eat it now.

This too. We have a ton of "junk" in the house. His favorites, my favorites and our son's favorites. I just consciously chose when I want to have it, then measure a correct portion and log it. Like the poster I am quoting, I feel much less guilty eating it now because I plan for it and account for it and I'm not trying to sneak around and hide that I'm eating "junk." I also eat less of it. Since it's not forbidden, much of it has lost the allure. However, when I want some ice cream, there better be some around, d@mnit! :-)
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    You can have an opinion on what your spouse should do, but he has to WANT to do it. You can do it without him. Clear some space in the fridge and cupboard for the items you do want to eat and focus on those things.

Many of us here (including myself) lost weight without our spouses changing their habits.

ETA: About 6 months in, my husband came up to me and asked how many calories were in something he was about to eat. We got out the food scale and since that day he's been logging away.

I shall keep my fingers crossed for mine then! I think now that we are cohabitating this time around on my weight loss journey I may influence him over time. We already eat out and order in a lot less, and my cooking for him is reducing his intake. Before i moved in he bought his breakfast from Burger King and lunch from Panda Express or Whole Fooda daily. So he's not just saving on calories now!
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    OP - so many wonderful suggestions on here.

Glad you are doing this for you - with or without outside support.....that independence and self motivation to keep going will stand you in good stead for success.

My experience was very much like @jgnatca ....in the beginning my Hubby just watched me go out for a slog along the streets etc etc...because I did all the cooking there were differences in our usual foods but none that he wasn't happy to indulge in.

During that time I started to ask would he like to come for a walk with me.....eventually he accepted (I learnt very quickly that nagging him was NOT the right way to go....He just dug his feet in further) and it became a really lovely time for us to chill out just together and talk all the while enjoying the scenery. Over time those walks became faster, longer and more challenging and surprise, surprise he noticed his tummy decreasing (which made him very happy)....and he found that his body just responds so well to exercise....and all the happy hormones.

Then bless him HE found MFP.....he's a dedicated, loveable nerd.....who thrives on data.....so we started tracking calories and that was the bomb moment for us.

Since then sadly he has regained some of his lost weight and lost the focus to exercise but he still has those skills and that knowledge and I have no doubt that when he is ready he'll take the plunge again....I just continue to help by weighing everything and writing it down for him, which he faithfully logs....this is all done at his request.

Funnily enough, MFP has given us somewhat of a new lease on life. We have so much more interest in nutrition, and are now able to weed out a lot of mis-information that is around about diet.....

I guess what I'm trying to say to you is....maybe like for me your 'new life' will inspire you Hubby too.....

All the best.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I am trying to watch my caloric intake, and start exercising more. My husband SHOULD do the same but refuses. Our cupboards and fridge are full of items I shouldn't be eating. How do I get him to be more on board with earing healthier, snacking less, and generally being more supportive? We both have gained at least 30 lbs in the 5 years we've been married. Part of my weight gain is from the baby, but he was born 10 months ago. I just don't know what to do!!!

If you shouldn't be eating something, don't eat it.
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I dont pay much attention to what my husband does. I cook dinner, if he doesnt like it then he has to fix himself something else. I do the shopping, I do provide treats for him and the kids. Sometimes I have some, sometimes I dont. You cant eliminate all 'temptations' in your life. But I do tend to buy things that aren't my weakness eg I am not a huge chips person so I can easily leave them alone. I buy tim tams, I like chocolate but arent a huge biscuit eater so 1 is enough for me.

My husband is considerate enough not to wave it in my face and mostly doesnt ask if I want something he's having. My kids out of politeness do ask but they know sometimes I'll say no and sometimes I'll say yes. He can be a bit sabotaging on a Saturday as we usually have takeaway for dinner but then I've usually worked my butt off doing 2 workouts and also running around after kids so I am happy to splurge a little.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    You can only do this for yourself, you can not make him do anything he does not want to. Learn will power and keep other healthier foods stocked as well, also if you are the one in charge of dinners, do what I do. I cook what ever I want and if my family is hungry they eat. I do know people who will only cook for themselves and let their partner fend for themselves you can also do that. Best of luck in your journey.