worst case scenario

Options

Replies

• esmeraldaRM
    esmeraldaRM Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks guys for all the suggestions the flexibility should make this an easier transition
  • esmeraldaRM
    esmeraldaRM Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I hear you! But that is not so bad. Here is what scared straight eating is. :)

https://youtu.be/zetlxblrGFQ

I want to say funny but at the same time the prison complex is no laughing matter ??? But yeah it's that is no joke. Point taken ^_^
    AliceDark wrote: »
    You could also order a full meal but ask for a to-go box right at the beginning so you can pack half of it to take home. Or take off whatever piece of bread has the mayo and eat the sandwich open-faced, with a fork. Or (this works best at breakfast-type places like IHOP) make a meal out of sides. Get two eggs cooked without butter/oil, whatever fresh fruit or vegetable they have (tomato slices are really good with eggs), and dry toast or a pancake or two. If you practice thinking creatively, this gets a lot easier.
    I did take out the extra bread slices out and I wiped out the mayo :)

• deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I think IHOP is one of the best chain restaurant choices when you're eating breakfast out. They have a whole subset of their menu that is low calorie and delicious. You should absolutely try it next time! Their "Simple and Fit" harvest pancake combo is the bomb.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    So, you have a few choices.
    • Don't eat at IHop.
    • Don't eat the full meal, and take some home (or don't).
    • Do 3 or 4 hours of intense cardio.
    • Plan to be flexible over the week. A little over 1 day, a little under the next.

Ultimately, it's difficult to eat a typical entree, or combination meal at a lot of common chain restaurants and maintain a calorie deficit.

i REALLY REALLY didn't want ihop but i had my mom with me and i couldnt say no to her little face so :/ i tried to eat half the meal but the devil on my shoulder wouldn't shut up about it. i will have to burn some of it off and try to stay within budget the rest of the day
    i like that idea a little over 1 and a little under the next its all about averages (one of the few times stats came in handy) !!
    You're not going to lose 100 lbs by being nice and not being able to say no. Find ways to hang out with family and friends without sabotaging yourself. Next time, opt for a walk in the park with her.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    At IHOP I always get 2 pancakes, usually the fancy kind like pumpkin they have lately. Sugar free syrup on top. Really good and 330 cal. I'd go ahead and get an egg or whatever else but I can eat that cheaper at home, and 2 of their pancakes fill me up well for lunch or breakfast so that's plenty. When I go out to a place like that (chain restaurant with friends/family and I'm not really thrilled over the food), I don't worry too much about fitting all of my macros and just go with a lower calorie option that tastes good and fills me up - and usually, is cheap. If I'm gonna blow $12+ and a big part of my calorie allotment on a meal it's going to be something I LOVE like Thai food or a fancy burger...not an IHOP salad.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Ugh. My company's department has their monthly meeting at ihop, so I feel you. They do have the "simple & fit" portion of the menu, which has an okay veggie omelet for a little over 300 calories as I recall. But I'm like you - not huge on eggs. Pancakes seem to be the only thing "worth it" taste-wise if you're going to chow down on some of your calories, but anything that heavy makes me feel sluggish within a couple hours.
    I usually end up going with the oatmeal with brown sugar and bananas... And plenty of coffee!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Whenever possible with going out, I look up the nutritional information on line (preferably just after eating, so I am full), make my selection, and then don't even look at the menu once I get there. That way, I am not tempted by anything that is pictured. Alternatively, I will eat whatever I want, enjoy every bite, log it, and make sure I continue on with my plan the rest of the day/week. One meal didn't make me fat, so one meal is not going to derail all the good things I've been doing to lose it. It's habits over time. I hope you enjoyed your time with your mom.
  • gpoliver
    gpoliver Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    You make the best choice you can. High protein, sauce on the side, nothing fried.
    And most chains have nutrition information online - for future reference, IHOP has some 'simple and fit' options that are less than 500 calories.

Perfect answer! I always default to eggs if I cant decide or figure things out....
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Well I really like breakfast foods. So my choice would probably be to get some hard extra exercise in, eat light earlier in the day, and order what I wanted.

But you ALWAYS have several choices. Remember that as you go forward.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    well i went to ihop today and ALL choices were bad even salads were 700+ calories i spent half my calorie budget in one sitting!!

Next time: (1) do not eat there, (2) go for the company, order a cup of coffee and eat something else later, (3) eat half a serving or (4) plan this meal to fit into your calories (eat less the rest of the day) or increase activity. Do not rely on increasing activity too much, this rarely works, especially if you are just beginning.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    gpoliver wrote: »
    You make the best choice you can. High protein, sauce on the side, nothing fried.
    And most chains have nutrition information online - for future reference, IHOP has some 'simple and fit' options that are less than 500 calories.

Perfect answer! I always default to eggs if I cant decide or figure things out....

That's tricky though, when some places add pancake batter in their omelets or scrambled eggs!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    When in doubt eat all things you already love and even broaden your horizons to eat things you never did before.. Never know that you may eat things today that you did not before..

Eat things in moderation.. Cutting out and eliminating is not part of my vocabulary or rather should are part of my my calorie choices..
  • Francl27
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    When in doubt eat all things you already love and even broaden your horizons to eat things you never did before.. Never know that you may eat things today that you did not before..

Eat things in moderation.. Cutting out and eliminating is not part of my vocabulary or rather should are part of my my calorie choices..

Sure, but it's IHOP. So for 400 calories you can have what... 2 normal pancakes? I might not be normal, but I would probably be hungry again after one hour (if that) - at least at lunch.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »

Sure, but it's IHOP. So for 400 calories you can have what... 2 normal pancakes? I might not be normal, but I would probably be hungry again after one hour (if that) - at least at lunch.

Well in this case, my taste buds will be the driver.. AND it will depend on how I am replenishing my body...

So for me it will be an omelet, bacon or ham, maybe even part of some hash browns and coffee. I can do this smart for 400 calories.. hate pancakes..LOL :)
  • rwc0n335
    rwc0n335 Posts: 9 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

That's tricky though, when some places add pancake batter in their omelets or scrambled eggs!

And IHOP actually happens to be one of those places that add pancake batter to their omelets. I got "trapped" into eating there last weekend, too -- I'd been on a road trip with family, we stopped for breakfast before heading home, and everyone else voted to go to IHOP. I don't eat there very often and wasn't familiar with their menu, so I checked their web site before we left and was amazed to find that their 12 named omelets (those with predefined ingredients -- you can also create your own) averaged 1080 calories. I couldn't figure out how that was possible, then noticed a call-out on the page explaining that they add pancake batter for "extra fluffiness." I ended up creating my own with egg whites, ham, green pepper and onion for 170.
  • Francl27
    Options
    rwc0n335 wrote: »

And IHOP actually happens to be one of those places that add pancake batter to their omelets. I got "trapped" into eating there last weekend, too -- I'd been on a road trip with family, we stopped for breakfast before heading home, and everyone else voted to go to IHOP. I don't eat there very often and wasn't familiar with their menu, so I checked their web site before we left and was amazed to find that their 12 named omelets (those with predefined ingredients -- you can also create your own) averaged 1080 calories. I couldn't figure out how that was possible, then noticed a call-out on the page explaining that they add pancake batter for "extra fluffiness." I ended up creating my own with egg whites, ham, green pepper and onion for 170.

Yeah that's why I mentioned it. I don't know but I guess you could order it without pancake batter?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat in restaurants, so that solves that problem. When I do and a salad bar isn't an option, I eat whatever looks yummiest. If I'm going to eat bad food, it may as well be the best tasting bad food.

Generally, though, I stick with good choices. Cook smart, eat smart, whole bit. :)
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Also for smaller portions look at the kids menu.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Also for smaller portions look at the kids menu.

Lots of places won't let your order off the kids menu if you don't have kids with you.