Not Losing Weight on a 1000 calorie/day deficit

Options
For the past seven days, I have had a 1000 calorie deficit every day through diet and exercise and I have not even lost half a pound! I'm not on my period, I'm drinking lots of water, and I'm not consuming too much sodium. This is very frustrating for me. And this is my first week of dieting/exercising too! What's going on??? I should have lost two pounds this week and I lost nothing :(

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Setting your diary to public or giving us some more details might help get you more specific advice. Until then, these are my really general tips. Maybe something will help you out.

1. If it's been less than 3 weeks or so since you last saw a drop on the scale, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie intake?
    What are you doing for exercise?
    How are you measuring your food? Scale? Measuring cups?

It would be a lot easier to give ideas if your diary was open.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    First, 1000 calories/day is lower than recommended.

Second, you're only 1 week in. Give it time. I didn't see the first gram of loss until 10 days in.
  • lizwooshy
    lizwooshy Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Omg. Just wait. Also, 1000 calories a day diet, or a 1000 calorie a day deficit?

Both sound wrong. You should be eating 1200 calories a day MINIMUM. And I highly doubt you could burn enough calories to have a 1000 calorie deficit.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    tchaubela wrote: »
    For the past seven days

Well there's your problem

Give it time. Weight fluctuates. Daily, weekly, monthly.

Weightloss is a marathon not a sprint.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    1,000 calorie deficit or you're eating 1,000 calories a day? What lizwooshy said.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    lizwooshy wrote: »
    Omg. Just wait. Also, 1000 calories a day diet, or a 1000 calorie a day deficit?

Both sound wrong. You should be eating 1200 calories a day MINIMUM. And I highly doubt you could burn enough calories to have a 1000 calorie deficit.

Neither is necessarily wrong. We don't know anything about the OP to make a judgment. She could be really short, which might make 1200 OK, she might be very overweight, making a 1000 calorie deficit OK.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You said this is your first week exercising? You're probably retaining water from that.

Also, your ticker says you weigh 135 right now...if that's accurate and you chose two pounds per week, it's extremely likely you aren't reaching that amount, since MFP will not give you a goal under 1200 (and please don't drop below that, this is to ensure your body receives the proper nutrition it needs).
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    You said this is your first week exercising? You're probably retaining water from that.

Also, your ticker says you weigh 135 right now...if that's accurate and you chose two pounds per week, it's extremely likely you aren't reaching that amount, since MFP will not give you a goal under 1200 (and please don't drop below that, this is to ensure your body receives the proper nutrition it needs).

Ah yes, good point. Choosing 2 lb/week does not get me a 1000 calorie deficit because I am vertically challenged. :/
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options

1000 calorie deficit is more for people with 100lb to lose. No idea how much they have to lose.

Maybe 1000 calorie deficit is too much if they have 30lb to lose.

Isn't the recommended weightloss like half a pound for every 25 pound your over weight?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Some great thoughts in here already. I would also like to add that a new workout program can cause some water retention. Hopefully something in here makes some sense for you. It can take a while to figure out what works for you. Have some patience.

ETA: Your ticker shows 6lbs out of 31lbs (leaving 25 to go) that you are trying to lose. With being close to your target weight, it may go more slowly than you would like, plus 2lb/week as a goal may be a bit too aggressive.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Second, you're only 1 week in. Give it time. I didn't see the first gram of loss until 10 days in.

I think they meant 1000 calorie deficit, as in goal of 2 lbs a week, not 1000 calories intake.

Lots of people can realistically hit a 2 lb a week (1000 calorie deficit) and even be over 1200 calories.
  • mmf1219
    mmf1219 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I found if I eat less carbs it helps jump start weight loss. Are you eating pasta,rice ect? If you are try cutting back on those type of carbs.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    mmf1219 wrote: »
    I found if I eat less carbs it helps jump start weight loss. Are you eating pasta,rice ect? If you are try cutting back on those type of carbs.

That's because carbs are stored as glycogen in your muscle and require water to store them. When you cut carbs, your glycogen levels go down along with the water and you drop weight. But, as soon as you eat carbs, you replace those levels and weight goes back up. It's a temporary loss.
    One of the many reasons why scale weight should only be one part of tracking progress.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Sorry, it takes longer than a week. Patience is key here.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

I think they meant 1000 calorie deficit, as in goal of 2 lbs a week, not 1000 calories intake.

Lots of people can realistically hit a 2 lb a week (1000 calorie deficit) and even be over 1200 calories.

I can EASILY hit a 1,000 cal deficit daily. When I run 5-6 miles, that alone is ~600 to 700 calories (120 call per mile). My built in deficit for days w/ out exercise is 500 calories. ...combine the two and it's over 1,000calories. Even without exercise I can hit a 1,000 cal deficit. My calorie goal for 1# a week is 1800 calories per day. If I cut that to 1200, I'd have a 1,000 calorie deficit without exercise.

Hell, on Sunday I had a calorie goal of 3,250 thanks to a long run. I ate 2100 calories and still had a 1,000 calorie deficit.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Hmmmmmm.......doubting this OP and this post, I will only say that your diet sounds like no fun at all. Sorry for you!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    More information would indeed help us help her.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    First week of exercise could easily mean 2lbs in water weight. Seven days is too short to get frustrated. It's only been a few days, really. The deficit will still count even if you have no proof yet :)