Not Losing Weight on a 1000 calorie/day deficit

Options

Replies

• scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I regularly get 1000+ deficits too because I often walk or hike 15k-20k steps during the day and take an evening ymca exercise class like Zumba or kick boxing. The physical processes of weight loss, however can be subtle at first. I wouldn't lose my head over a week. Why not give it a month? And if you are not carefully weighing your food you may be eating more than you think. Just keep at it. Be diligent about YOUR work: calories, sleep, exercise, weighing & measuring; and trust your body to do the rest.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen. First week, nothing. Then I dropped several lbs very quickly. It's bound to happen.
  • ursoco86
    ursoco86 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    lizwooshy wrote: »
    Omg. Just wait. Also, 1000 calories a day diet, or a 1000 calorie a day deficit?

Both sound wrong. You should be eating 1200 calories a day MINIMUM. And I highly doubt you could burn enough calories to have a 1000 calorie deficit.

I see I'm not the only person who doesn't quite agree with this, I almost daily hit a 1200+ calorie deficit and i stick to my intake of 1200...

mmf1219 wrote: »
    That's because carbs are stored as glycogen in your muscle and require water to store them. When you cut carbs, your glycogen levels go down along with the water and you drop weight. But, as soon as you eat carbs, you replace those levels and weight goes back up. It's a temporary loss.
    One of the many reasons why scale weight should only be one part of tracking progress.

Also I don't quite agree with this either, but everyones body is different, I did cut out carbs for my initial 6 weeks but now I can eat them daily and I am still dropping, but perhaps the calorie deficit is a reason for that, or maybe because I don't eat them regularly? I don't know...

The best thing is to see a doctor and a nutritionalist as well as a personal trainer, that what I did before I started, the doctor looks at your health and family background and advices on what your goal should be for your health also if you might have any problems when it comes to loosing weight, the nutritionalist looks at your current diet and then advices you on what needs to change and why, then the trainer looks at your fitness levels as well as the previous information and he tells you what you need to do physically... It really helped me to speak to professionals. Also much like training alone isn't the answer nor is diet alone, for the best results you need to combine them both. I initially dropped weight just from the Dukan diet and thought it was great when i hit 75kg (from 87kg) but then gained it back over holidays, now I lost with diet and exercise and I wont lie when I hit 75kg the second time i was smaller, and i looked better, and now I am 72kg and even smaller... exercise with the eating plan makes a massive difference.

Another thing I have noticed, when you are not overweight it is harder to shift the weight, you need to work harder, if your weight and hight are in the green with the BMI then you will have to be very strict and train very hard to loose the extra weight, this is just what I noticed personally for myself, it was so easy for me to loose 1kg (2.2lbs) a week when I was over 75kg but now I have to push the training and be clean on the diet to maintain that weight loss, and its hard.

But like I said before, everyones body is different, see a doctor and nutritionalist and see what they advice.

:)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Exercise + TOM, you could very well be retaining a lot of fluid. Keep at it, a week does not a failure make.
  • lizwooshy
    lizwooshy Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It seems I stand corrected on the deficit. I worked the math in my head again and that makes sense.

In any case, one week is really nothing. Stick to things for a few weeks. If after a few weeks the scale doesn't budge, then it may be time to make adjustments.

Also , I would recommend checking out the stickied posts (especially the ones regarding proper logging, calorie counting 101, and the one about weight loss not being linear.) They are a host of good info that will be helpful both now and down the line.
  • Pollywog_la
    Pollywog_la Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I found if I eat less carbs it helps jump start weight loss. Are you eating pasta,rice ect? If you are try cutting back on those type of carbs.

That's because carbs are stored as glycogen in your muscle and require water to store them. When you cut carbs, your glycogen levels go down along with the water and you drop weight. But, as soon as you eat carbs, you replace those levels and weight goes back up. It's a temporary loss.
    One of the many reasons why scale weight should only be one part of tracking progress.

But also, carbs raise blood sugar more than protein, and fat barely registers. And your body throws out insulin to get that glucose out of circulation...and some of that will become fat if not burned off.
  • louisedbatchelor1983
    Options
    I regularly go 1,000 plus deficit....never been an issue for me, I tend to store up my deificts from my heavy training days to the weekend
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    7 days? I can only say that your new found friend should be called "Patience"..
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Yes people can create a 1000 cal deficit If they are larger or more active to begin with, but if the OP has only 25 lbs or so to lose then the expectation to lose 2 lbs/week is neither realistic nor the healthiest course.

OP I would set your goal to 1 lb/week, eat primarily nutrient dense foods, fit in a treat if you want, log accurately, exercise if you like, eating back a portion of those calories, and be patient...

Oh and go to the helpful links thread at the top of the getting started section and read those...
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    tchaubela wrote: »
    For the past seven days

Well there's your problem

Give it time. Weight fluctuates. Daily, weekly, monthly.

Weightloss is a marathon not a sprint.
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Sorry, it takes longer than a week. Patience is key here.
    gia07 wrote: »
    7 days? I can only say that your new found friend should be called "Patience"..

All of the above.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I found if I eat less carbs it helps jump start weight loss. Are you eating pasta,rice ect? If you are try cutting back on those type of carbs.

But also, carbs raise blood sugar more than protein, and fat barely registers. And your body throws out insulin to get that glucose out of circulation...and some of that will become fat if not burned off.

No.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    ursoco86 wrote: »
    Omg. Just wait. Also, 1000 calories a day diet, or a 1000 calorie a day deficit?

Both sound wrong. You should be eating 1200 calories a day MINIMUM. And I highly doubt you could burn enough calories to have a 1000 calorie deficit.

I see I'm not the only person who doesn't quite agree with this, I almost daily hit a 1200+ calorie deficit and i stick to my intake of 1200...

Also I don't quite agree with this either, but everyones body is different, I did cut out carbs for my initial 6 weeks but now I can eat them daily and I am still dropping, but perhaps the calorie deficit is a reason for that, or maybe because I don't eat them regularly? I don't know...

The best thing is to see a doctor and a nutritionalist as well as a personal trainer, that what I did before I started, the doctor looks at your health and family background and advices on what your goal should be for your health also if you might have any problems when it comes to loosing weight, the nutritionalist looks at your current diet and then advices you on what needs to change and why, then the trainer looks at your fitness levels as well as the previous information and he tells you what you need to do physically... It really helped me to speak to professionals. Also much like training alone isn't the answer nor is diet alone, for the best results you need to combine them both. I initially dropped weight just from the Dukan diet and thought it was great when i hit 75kg (from 87kg) but then gained it back over holidays, now I lost with diet and exercise and I wont lie when I hit 75kg the second time i was smaller, and i looked better, and now I am 72kg and even smaller... exercise with the eating plan makes a massive difference.

Another thing I have noticed, when you are not overweight it is harder to shift the weight, you need to work harder, if your weight and hight are in the green with the BMI then you will have to be very strict and train very hard to loose the extra weight, this is just what I noticed personally for myself, it was so easy for me to loose 1kg (2.2lbs) a week when I was over 75kg but now I have to push the training and be clean on the diet to maintain that weight loss, and its hard.

But like I said before, everyones body is different, see a doctor and nutritionalist and see what they advice.

I am talking about the inital weight loss "jump start".

Drop carbs - drop water weight. It is a common technique used by those who have to make weight and by bodybuilders pre-comp.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options

Drop carbs - drop water weight. It is a common technique used by those who have to make weight and by bodybuilders pre-comp.

It might look good on the scales but does it actually jump start fat loss?

Is the goal to lose weight or lose fat?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »

It might look good on the scales but does it actually jump start fat loss?

Is the goal to lose weight or lose fat?

That was my point.
    Someone suggested cutting carbs as a jump start.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    It seems I stand corrected on the deficit. I worked the math in my head again and that makes sense.

FYI thank you for asking / commenting on this. When I read your post about not being able to create such a huge deficit, I was like heck yeah that's true, she's so little! Sounds like we both learned something!

I should clarify that for me, when I think of 1000 cals per day deficit, I'm thinking on a sustained basis, not just a couple times a week. In my case I only exercise 3x per week, so getting a larger deficit on those days would not average my normal deficit to that same high amount

Either way, respect to all the ladies that posted about their huge deficits! And same to all the rest of you all getting it done. heh :)
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    For the past seven days,

Seven days you say?
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it. I tend to lose some weeks, not lose much the next. Give it some time, track your food and exercise properly, and stick with it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    For the past seven days,

Seven days you say?

Now it's been eight.

Patience is a virtue cause this weight management thing is for life.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Wow some of the info in this thread :open_mouth:

Here OP

0u6nfj9nvwyl.jpg

• brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options

Oh this just isnt true. A 1000 calorie per day deficit is how one can lose 2lbs per week. Totally doable. The poster has maintained a 1000cal deficit, not eaten 1000 calories.

But some thing isnt right. Your logging may be off, your expenditure isnt as high as you think, or a combo of the two. A 1000 calorie deficit is doable but you have to know your numbers are correct. Also give it much more time!! Your body kinda has to know what to expect, I feel like you should keep things the same for a month and see if there is a change. If not then the numbers are off somewhere!