Husband is no help

Options

Replies

• ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    mrsjmsrvrs wrote: »
    I am trying to watch my caloric intake, and start exercising more. My husband SHOULD do the same but refuses. Our cupboards and fridge are full of items I shouldn't be eating. How do I get him to be more on board with earing healthier, snacking less, and generally being more supportive? We both have gained at least 30 lbs in the 5 years we've been married. Part of my weight gain is from the baby, but he was born 10 months ago. I just don't know what to do!!!

Wow! The only person you can control is yourself. If there's things in the refrigerator you shouldn't eat then DON'T EAT THEM! When you're an adult you get the right of self determination.
  • barryplumber
    barryplumber Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    My wife is the same so I do it alone. I do the cooking so I can control what i cook
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'm definitely doing it without him. But how do you stick to a diet when they don't eat the good stuff and just bring all the bad stuff in?

Losing weight is not about good and bad food, it's about eating at a calorie deficit. Eat what you love, just less of it.

Your husband has the right to eat what he chooses, just like you do. All you can do is set a good example. He will either follow or he wont. :)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I am trying to watch my caloric intake, and start exercising more. My husband SHOULD do the same but refuses. Our cupboards and fridge are full of items I shouldn't be eating. How do I get him to be more on board with earing healthier, snacking less, and generally being more supportive? We both have gained at least 30 lbs in the 5 years we've been married. Part of my weight gain is from the baby, but he was born 10 months ago. I just don't know what to do!!!

If you think he needs to lose weight, talk with him about it. If you are concerned about his health, or if his weight stopping you two from doing activities you enjoy, be honest with him. Btu the decision in the end is his.
    But, do not make his habits about you. Ask him to not leave tempting snacks everywhere, but do not try to control what he buys and eats.
    Especially since you have a baby, this might also be a good time to discuss what you want your child to eat, so e.g. limiting treats to one place and not having them easily accessible can also be a good long term habit related to your kids eating habits too,
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    OP - so many wonderful suggestions on here.

Glad you are doing this for you - with or without outside support.....that independence and self motivation to keep going will stand you in good stead for success.

My experience was very much like @jgnatca ....in the beginning my Hubby just watched me go out for a slog along the streets etc etc...because I did all the cooking there were differences in our usual foods but none that he wasn't happy to indulge in.

During that time I started to ask would he like to come for a walk with me.....eventually he accepted (I learnt very quickly that nagging him was NOT the right way to go....He just dug his feet in further) and it became a really lovely time for us to chill out just together and talk all the while enjoying the scenery. Over time those walks became faster, longer and more challenging and surprise, surprise he noticed his tummy decreasing (which made him very happy)....and he found that his body just responds so well to exercise....and all the happy hormones.

Then bless him HE found MFP.....he's a dedicated, loveable nerd.....who thrives on data.....so we started tracking calories and that was the bomb moment for us.

Since then sadly he has regained some of his lost weight and lost the focus to exercise but he still has those skills and that knowledge and I have no doubt that when he is ready he'll take the plunge again....I just continue to help by weighing everything and writing it down for him, which he faithfully logs....this is all done at his request.

Funnily enough, MFP has given us somewhat of a new lease on life. We have so much more interest in nutrition, and are now able to weed out a lot of mis-information that is around about diet.....

I guess what I'm trying to say to you is....maybe like for me your 'new life' will inspire you Hubby too.....

All the best.

That's awesome! Nice story.

I'm at the stage where I've nearly got hubby to go walking with me. Just treading carefully so I don't nag him.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Bad foods don't make you overweight, bad portions do

So very much this.

I'm having lasagne and garlic bread for dinner, and I'm still under my calorie limit.
  • angeleyes1978
    angeleyes1978 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I know that feeling I'm trying to lose weight myself but my Husband all the time. Soft drinks cakes and biscuits around me he says I'm fine just how i am but I don't feel fine and 105 kilos
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Some great advice around the hubby but thought I'd chip in on a slightly different track. I think mothers are pressurised by the media to snap back to the body of a 20 year old within 2 weeks, and it's just not feasible for the overwhelming majority of people. Learning to eat healthy now will set a good example but don't beat yourself up about not having shed the baby weight 10 months in - you have a 10 month old baby to care for, and to my non - mother's eye that looks stressful enough!

Good luck :-)
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    OP - so many wonderful suggestions on here.

Glad you are doing this for you - with or without outside support.....that independence and self motivation to keep going will stand you in good stead for success.

My experience was very much like @jgnatca ....in the beginning my Hubby just watched me go out for a slog along the streets etc etc...because I did all the cooking there were differences in our usual foods but none that he wasn't happy to indulge in.

During that time I started to ask would he like to come for a walk with me.....eventually he accepted (I learnt very quickly that nagging him was NOT the right way to go....He just dug his feet in further) and it became a really lovely time for us to chill out just together and talk all the while enjoying the scenery. Over time those walks became faster, longer and more challenging and surprise, surprise he noticed his tummy decreasing (which made him very happy)....and he found that his body just responds so well to exercise....and all the happy hormones.

Then bless him HE found MFP.....he's a dedicated, loveable nerd.....who thrives on data.....so we started tracking calories and that was the bomb moment for us.

Since then sadly he has regained some of his lost weight and lost the focus to exercise but he still has those skills and that knowledge and I have no doubt that when he is ready he'll take the plunge again....I just continue to help by weighing everything and writing it down for him, which he faithfully logs....this is all done at his request.

Funnily enough, MFP has given us somewhat of a new lease on life. We have so much more interest in nutrition, and are now able to weed out a lot of mis-information that is around about diet.....

I guess what I'm trying to say to you is....maybe like for me your 'new life' will inspire you Hubby too.....

All the best.

That's awesome! Nice story.

I'm at the stage where I've nearly got hubby to go walking with me. Just treading carefully so I don't nag him.

Well thank you @Orphia, that's really kind and it has been an awesome ride......that never ends, till you want it to.

Well I guess we won't think about that side of things ATM ;).....eventually but not now....lol.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I stay in a large home, half of which is devoted to his business, which is a geek gaming venue. 5 days a week there are tons of gamers taking over one half of our house. There is also a snack bar. Tons of chocolate bars, bags of chips, sweets and a takeaway menu. There is a fridge full of assorted soda cans. I pretty much live in a small snack store and I am allowed to grab anything I like for free.

How I cope: I allow myself to have it if I need it and find I very seldom do. Living right on top of all that junk has actually helped my self control. I feel strong and comfortable knowing the choice is mine and I choose not to have it or to eat it in moderation.

I have my own little fridge where I store food, mostly because I don't want my boyfriend or his staff eating my yogurts and fruit by accident (they have their own and for book-keeping reasons we keep store food separate). When I cook, I might make steak, and add a potato and veg to his dish and less steak, more veg and no potato to my dish.

I weigh everything and know exactly what I consume.

It can be done. Trust yourself and be resolved.
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    My OH is counting calories but he's 6 ft tall and can eat 700 calories more than me to lose at the same rate plus he walks more at work, so he buys lots of treats to fit in to his calories. I must admit I've occasionally caved when he's brought out a bag of big cookies but I know my own goals so he'll have three and I'll have one, or half. The other day he had a packet of Reece's Pieces and I just had four of them because that's what I could fit in, while he was shovelling them in by the handful lol. Last night he had a 550 calorie ice cream roll, I had an 18 cal bowl of sugarfree jelly/jello. Still a nice pudding, just something that fits my calories. We do still have the odd row over how he's messing up my carefully planned calorie count by adding too much extra flour to the cheese sauce then having to add extra milk to thin it out again but like, that's my problem, I could have had a smaller portion or walked it off or cooked it myself. Oops :wink:

I make sure I have my own treats in so when I want to snack I can have something that makes me happy - I'm a cheese and meat fiend and to be honest a 70 cal Babybel is much more enjoyable for me than an ice cream, but there are so many options in small, single serving packets that you can still have treats, just make them fit. As others have said, weighing food and having reasonable portions is the best - I've lost 20 lbs since March (I don't have toooo much to lose) eating a takeaway most weekends and drinking beer. You can make it work without being ALL chicken breast and salad ALL the time :)
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Yeah husband's are scum.

Wait

I am one.

And I am the one who is logging and losing.

Maybe it's more about choices. Now my wife is helpful. She usually prepares higher quality stuff when she . Now when I cook I usually do too. I avoid the chip drawer. I still get ice cream but eat half the portion size that I used to eat.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    If it's super hard, go buy a pretty lock for his pantry door at the hardware store, install it, and give your hubby the only keys :grin:

Damn. You gotta love this forum, there's a solution for everyone! I mean I know this is drastic but I bet it could help someone at least in the short term. Like training wheels!!
  • rebeccahunt718
    rebeccahunt718 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling of hubby being no help. I've gained back the 20 pounds I had lost for our wedding in the almost 4 months we've been married. It's hard to get him on board. I have found just altering slightly what you have versus what he has can make a lot of difference.
    For example: last night, he wanted chicken wraps for dinner (we do tortilla shells with chicken, romaine lettuce, cheese, and salad dressing). I opted to make it a salad instead (no tortilla) and I mix the salad dressing with vinegar to allow it to spread through the salad easier without the extra servings.
  • Brittbam89
    Brittbam89 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    It is so difficult doing this without the support of a spouse... I have been there.

I do all the shopping and cooking, so I refuse to buy a bunch of junk that can tempt us.

I got my husband on board with dieting by making a challenge out of it: we placed our bets and whoever lost the most weight at the end of the month won. I won the last challenge and my husband had to do all of the dishes for 2 weeks!
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    My husband is actually trying to gain weight, while I have about 35 lbs left to lose. I consider him very supportive of my goal, but he will still buy the things he wants to eat. We have chips, brownies, ice cream, etc. in the house. I also have an 8 year old and she is entitled to have dessert if she wants after dinner. I am the one who is in charge of what goes into my mouth. If I want this weight loss to be sustainable, I need to learn how to control MYSELF around these foods and learn how to eat them in moderation. I cannot blame others for having/eating high calorie foods around me. If my husband and daughter make brownies, that does not mean they are not supporting me. Supporting me does not mean they have to eat what I am eating, and it does not mean that we have to keep all those other foods away from me. This is about me and my relationship with food. If I can't fix that relationship, then the weight I lost is going to come back. This is not easy for me as I am a social eater, as well as an emotional eater (sad, happy, angry, overwhelmed, I eat to help me cope!)

My husband supports me by taking over of some of the things I need to do each night so that I can get my time on the treadmill. He supports me by asking how I am doing on my goals and how I am feeling about them.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Your husband's health is ultimately down to your husband. Of course, gentle encouragement is fine - but gentle encouragement can only go so far. I'd say, lead by example. Do what you need to do to reach your goals. Your results may give him that kick him he needs. You do you and do it well - if he isn't inspired into action, there isn't a lot you can really do. Congratulations to you for making the right choices :)
  • jonipecson
    jonipecson Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    In my household, my husbands says he eats what I cook. We do have some junk food in our house as well, but if I eat any of it, it would be just a serving and adjust my meal plan accordingly. I've got our pantry more "health friendly" than it has ever been before. If you do the shopping, incorporate more healthy options. You will notice that your spouse will gravitate more towards the healthy options with you. If he wants his snacks, let him buy it. Just remember, is more about moderation than anything else. I'm not an expert but I'm still a work in progress too.
  • riffraff2112
    riffraff2112 Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Changing one person is hard enough. Maybe after awhile he may join you when he sees how well you are doing. Otherwise, just do your thing and good luck
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

whether or not your husband SHOULD be doing the same shouldn't effect your own efforts.

my boyfriend SHOULD be eating less garbage during the week, but he can get away with it and i can't. does this mean i don't allow him to keep chips or whatever it may be in our place? not at all. we have them in our cabinets all the time. i just don't eat them.

you don't need your husband to be doing it in order for you to succeed.