Calories, protein, carbs, macronutrients- HELP!

Options
im pretty aware of what I eat. I always look at sugar first, then carbs, then protein and last sodium. I try to maintain a 1000 calorie diet (I'm 5 foot and have a very small frame) but can't seem to lose anymore weight. I want to be lean! But I have fat on my midrift and thighs. What should I cut back on? What should my goals be? I know nothing about macros and I feel like this would make the difference but I could be wrong. Please help!

Replies

• GabriellaVioletta
    GabriellaVioletta Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am in the process of doing my advanced diploma in Nutrition & Weightloss.
    It would be interesting to see your food diary. It does sound like you are eating too little. Is this consistent every day? Are there things you aren't logging?
    Yes, counting macros can help lean you out because calories are not equal. So it depends what's making up your 1000 calls a day?
    Also are you exercising?
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    gabzg23 wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see your food diary. It does sound like you are eating too little. Is this consistent every day? Are there things you aren't logging?
    Yes, counting macros can help lean you out because calories are not equal. So it depends what's making up your 1000 calls a day?
    Also are you exercising?

All calories are equal, they are just a measurement. Think like a cm is a cm, an inch is an inch, a calorie is a calorie.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    dbayona2 wrote: »
    im pretty aware of what I eat. I always look at sugar first, then carbs, then protein and last sodium. I try to maintain a 1000 calorie diet (I'm 5 foot and have a very small frame) but can't seem to lose anymore weight. I want to be lean! But I have fat on my midrift and thighs. What should I cut back on? What should my goals be? I know nothing about macros and I feel like this would make the difference but I could be wrong. Please help!
    How long has your weight loss stalled for?
    What is your daily activity level?

• GabriellaVioletta
    Options
    Also are you exercising?

All calories are equal, they are just a measurement. Think like a cm is a cm, an inch is an inch, a calorie is a calorie.

In terms of nutritional content calories are not equal and the effect they have on your body is not equal.... the composition of calories 100% has an effect on your body and performance.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    Also are you exercising?

In terms of nutritional content calories are not equal and the effect they have on your body is not equal.... the composition of calories 100% has an effect on your body and performance.

Your right they are not nutritionally the same but that isn't what you posted.
    You said that the issue might be because of the macros that make up the 1000 calories that the OP thinks she/he is eating a day.
    I wanted to correct it in case the OP thinks they are not losing because of that. When you will lose weight eating any macro/micro split or any food type as long as you eat at a deficit.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    dbayona2 wrote: »

an open diary would help, and your current weight ?

Make sure your protein is at least 60 grams and fat 30 grams.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Try to look at it the other way.

Your goal weight is 8 pounds away. That is "nothing". It means that you have a healthy weight. You are a woman, and supposed to have a little fat on belly, bum and thighs, it's there to make it possible to conceive and have and nurse a child. You are not supposed to look like a boy or a man.

Your BMR (the calories you need to sustain life but do nothing but rest), is around 1200. Do not try to go under this for longer periods of time. If you aren't losing any more weight, it means that you are at the right weight and/or your calorie goal is too low for you to sustain for longer periods. I am not saying that you are "eating too little to lose weight", as that would be absurd, but you try to eat too little, and compensate by eating too much at other times, and thereby sabotaging all your efforts. Set your goal to at least 1200, you can even raise it to 1500-1600. This will be easier to stick to over time, which is what matters.

Try this for a month or two, and then you can look at your macro split. Many people have success by focusing on "adding", not "cutting": first get sufficient protein and fat, and then adjust carbs to their level af activity.
  • GabriellaVioletta
    Options
    Perhaps I could have worded it slightly better but that wasn't what I meant.

To reduce body fat you have to be in a caloric deficit relative to your total energy expenditure (If you burn 1400kcal in a day, you need to eat less than this amount). To know how many calories you are consuming you need to be tracking your intake of calories from food correctly and know roughly your total daily calorie expenditure. This shows you don’t have to count macros to lose weight, but it won’t all be the right weight.

The concern was getting leaner not just losing weight....
    A calorie is not just a calorie. The different macronutrients (protein, carbohydrates and fats) have different effects on the body when consumed and digested. The main effects we are concerned with are:

Anabolic effect of consuming protein- eating protein causes your body to increase muscle protein synthesis– the building/maintaining of new muscle tissue (within reason).
    Insulinogenic effect of consuming carbohydrates- eating carbohydrates causes your body to secrete insulin, transporting blood sugar to muscle and fat tissue- this hinders fat oxidization but also spares muscle tissue from being broken down.
    Fat has markedly less effect with respect to muscle anabolism and fat oxidation- it is a very dense source of energy that in the absence of carbohydrates becomes the body’s primary energy source, without significantly elevating plasma insulin levels.
    So if you want to achieve steady and sustainable fat loss whilst maintaining muscle mass, knowing how much and when to eat is paramount.

Reducing calories is a stress to your body, 1000 calories per day is too little for any growth human being. It’s important that before you do so you have all the other pieces of the puzzle in place, or you could drive yourself into a metabolic hole.
    The body has a tendency when in a calorie deficit to burn the fuels in the ratio they are available: free fatty acids from your stored fat, or amino acids from your muscles. By keeping protein high and doing resistance training we try to avoid muscle mass being broken down, however there is a theoretical limit to how much fat can be released from the fat stores in a single day, and this is inversely proportionate to how lean you are.

The leaner you get, the less body fat you can burn a day.
    If your energy deficit for the day is beyond your body’s capability to fuel itself from fat stores alone, you will lose muscle mass.

What I am trying to say is:
    Whether you gain weight, lose weight or maintain weight is entirely down to the calories you consume versus the calories you burn.

For this reason, calories are the most important factor in body recomposition. It’s impossible to gain weight in a calorie deficit (eating less that you burn), and it’s impossible to lose weight in a calorie surplus (vice versa).

Calories determine how heavy you are, macros determine how heavy you look.

The best analogy I have heard to help think of and understand the interplay of calories and macros, is that of a house. The calories represent the total number of bricks, the macros represent the architecture of the house. With the same amount of bricks, it’s possible to create two very different looking houses.

It would be interesting to see your food diary, exercise diary and your age, weight, height.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Also are you exercising?

In terms of nutritional content FOODS are not equal. But that's not what "a calorie is a calorie" means. The foods that comprise your diet will have an effect on performance, health, and to some extent composition, but "calorie" is not a synonym for "food," which is how you seem to be using it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    OP, as others have said, it would be helpful to know current weight, goal, how long you've been stalled, and to open your diary. Also, workouts. For improving leanness if you are at a reasonably low weight already, the best bet might be to eat close to maintenance and focus on building some muscle (and keeping the protein at around .65-.85 g/lb).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    OP, as others have said, it would be helpful to know current weight, goal, how long you've been stalled, and to open your diary. Also, workouts. For improving leanness if you are at a reasonably low weight already, the best bet might be to eat close to maintenance and focus on building some muscle (and keeping the protein at around .65-.85 g/lb).

This! I was thinking if you were close to goal and you are dissatisfied with a couple spots, you might get greater satisfaction from building some muscle there.

Then you could focus your efforts on getting enough protein (as your calorie budget is so low) and let the rest fall where it may. No fussing with carbs, fiber, salt, or fat.

Build the rest of your meal around your chosen protein like eggs, tuna, and chicken.