I need some help bulking up

Options
Hi I'm new here about me: I started weighting 184 in 5 week I was at 170 now I weight 165.5lbs but all of that dis not help my mass so now I need to increase my muscle my height is 5.5ft I don't want to grow my belly back up that's my main concern thanks everybody.

Replies

• azza213
    azza213 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Eat eat and more eating but make sure you clean it, lots of brown rice, chicken breast, oats, broccoli, eggs whites those are a few good ones and is very low on fat but you want to be eating at least 5-7 times a day and drink lots of water hope this helps
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    There is no reason to eat clean unless you want to. I'd recommend a large portion of your calories come from whole, nutrient dense foods, but many people find it easier to fill in calories with higher calorie foods. In addition, many people don't want to swear off cookies for the rest of their lives.

If you don't want your belly back you need to do a slow bulk; aim for 500 calories or so over your maintenance. You will gain fat with the weight you put on, but you can minimize how much fat you put by keeping your surplus small and incorporating a progressive resistance program.

And here's a great read that goes through all the basics:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10049766/bulking-a-complete-guide-for-beginners
  • thebozz7
    thebozz7 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    That's nice thanks
  • thebozz7
    Options
    Thanks guys
  • burdett124
    burdett124 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    thebozz7 wrote: »
    Thanks guys
    Find out your maintenence for calorie intake and just go around 500 calories over that each day. Also watch your fats and carbs and weigh yourself from time to time. If you're gaining more than you're comfortable with just cut it back. If you just google some of this stuff and find macros that work for you that will help a lot.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    azza213 wrote: »
    Eat eat and more eating but make sure you clean it, lots of brown rice, chicken breast, oats, broccoli, eggs whites those are a few good ones and is very low on fat but you want to be eating at least 5-7 times a day and drink lots of water hope this helps

Don't listen to this. Low fat has no positive effects in terms of body composition. Fats are actually essential and an extremely important macronutrient for vitamin absorption and hormone regulation...etc. eat what you want while hitting your macro and micro minimums and get on a solid lifting program. Id suggest fierce 5, stronglifts, ICF, or starting strength. Great beginner programs.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    There is no reason to eat clean unless you want to. I'd recommend a large portion of your calories come from whole, nutrient dense foods, but many people find it easier to fill in calories with higher calorie foods. In addition, many people don't want to swear off cookies for the rest of their lives.

If you don't want your belly back you need to do a slow bulk; aim for 500 calories or so over your maintenance. You will gain fat with the weight you put on, but you can minimize how much fat you put by keeping your surplus small and incorporating a progressive resistance program.

And here's a great read that goes through all the basics:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10049766/bulking-a-complete-guide-for-beginners

Pretty much this. If you want to clean bulk a surplus of 250 calories or 10% over tdee is suggested.

Hit 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass (roughly 90% of your weight in grams of protein). Fats are generally recommended to be around .35g to .6g per lb of lean body mass. And the remainder carbs.
  • thebozz7
    Options
    Cool thanks guys I will try this process