What odd things have surprised you about weight loss?

Options
I feel like I've had so many "I didn't think about that" or "I had no idea this would happen" moments after losing weight. A few of the oddest things have been:

-I didn't realize my underwear wouldn't fit anymore. (I knew I'd need to buy new clothes, but only really thought about pants.)
-I have majorly defined arm and shoulder muscles that had been hiding under fat. I don't lift weights, but I do talk with my arms a lot. ;)
-My butt disappeared and went flat. It was the first thing to go! And it didn't get cute-flat; saggy-flat.
-It was VERY easy to lose weight in the beginning.
-It has been VERY hard to lose the last ten pounds.
-When I dieted back in high school, I was doing it ALL WRONG.

Replies

• MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Everything you said, especially the saggy-flat butt part. B)
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I was surprised about how much I was eating before I started weighing monitoring everything!!
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised how simple it all is. I went YEARS following all these stupid 'Diets', thinking I had to take things to lose weight. Lasted 3 days felt like crap and decided to just be happy with being larger. When I found MFP, and learned that the only thing that matters is a calorie defienct, the light bulb went on and I realized how much I really did eat before.
  • melsetsy
    melsetsy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    The taste of food. The texture of "fat" in my mouth. After eating healthy foods if I eat something really high in fat it feels slimy to me. If it's something like a homemade bakery almond danish that's full of butter, I can literally smell the butter coming out of my pores. It's gross!!!
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    That it took me this long to get back to a healthy weight. Having done this before (over 5 years ago, with 5 years of not caring about weight) I know exactly what it takes to lose the weight. Only a few lb left, and this time I'm going to go straight into bulking intentionally instead of going straight into not caring. At least it is only going to take me ~6 months to fix 5 years of doing nothing.
  • amyr271
    amyr271 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised how simple it all is. I went YEARS following all these stupid 'Diets', thinking I had to take things to lose weight. Lasted 3 days felt like crap and decided to just be happy with being larger. When I found MFP, and learned that the only thing that matters is a calorie defienct, the light bulb went on and I realized how much I really did eat before.

^ This 100%. It was so good knowing that I could eat the things that I wanted.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    How much sexier I feel being slender again. I thought I was relegated to a life of a dumpy middle aged woman - NOT!
  • Villypierr
    Villypierr Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    one strange thing that happened was, that a ring fitted on my finger that couldn't before... (like many other things that couldn't fit haha :D )
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Lol OP I can relate too all of that.

I found out that I have a shape. And I don't like it - all hips and boobs, no butt (flat and saggy, check).
    Some health problems that I never associated with being fat are gone
    It was so easy to lose that I NEVER imagined that my appetite would skyrocket when I got close to my goal weight
  • brownels
    brownels Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    How much less my grocery bill is, and how much longer the foods I do buy last in the house!
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    brownels wrote: »
    How much less my grocery bill is, and how much longer the foods I do buy last in the house!

Oh, yes, this! It really puts perspective on how much I was truly eating before. It seemed like there was never food in the house and now, we don't have to buy so much because what we have lasts so much longer. Cereal would never last the week, now it lasts several weeks because I no longer live off of it and my kids only have a small bowl for breakfast.
  • Francl27
    Options
    brownels wrote: »

Oh man yeah. I buy some treats and they just accumulate because I don't have the calories to eat more than one every 2-3 days sometimes.
  • ursoco86
    ursoco86 Posts: 12 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I can so relate ugh no one told me that loosing rapidly meant I would get skinny fat before I got toned... And I still have 11kg to go... Good news is my upper body is looking ok but the flat flabby bum issue
  • sklebar
    sklebar Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    How sometimes losing too much is just too much. I'm at a happier weight now. I also was shocked by how many calories some so-called "healthy foods" really are. I found it much easier to lose weight quickly when all of my food was unprocessed and cooked from scratch. Compared to the Zone or Paleo diets, I find calorie counting easier and something that I can do long-term because it encourages me to exercise a lot more so I can eat more. MFP is the best!
  • Francl27
    Options
    ursoco86 wrote: »
    I can so relate ugh no one told me that loosing rapidly meant I would get skinny fat before I got toned... And I still have 11kg to go... Good news is my upper body is looking ok but the flat flabby bum issue

You're nowhere near 'skinny fat'. Not sure why everyone calls themselves skinny fat when they still have a bit of fat... which is completely normal.

But what I didn't know when I started this is that it's not as easy as CICO though... never realized that you would lose muscle mass and have to do strength training and eat a lot of protein to limit that.

Also had no idea that I would get so much loose skin. Ugh.
  • KaiUneeda
    KaiUneeda Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I do not think my bum is saggy, but definitely flat. We should start a group. haha
  • momoftwins985
    momoftwins985 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    How bone-y my shins would get lol I don't know how that surprised me so much, but it did
  • ElizabethPalm
    ElizabethPalm Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Bumping my hipbones against everything coz they are kinda protruding now and my vision sucks. So I obviously bumped them a lot before but they were 'protected'
  • vaguelyvegan
    vaguelyvegan Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The little bones. Ribs and collarbone and tiny little wrists. I feel like a bird.
  • pandyg180
    pandyg180 Posts: 25 Member
    Options

Agreed! I never tried any of the fad diets or ever really tried to lose weight at all because of the misconception that i would have to starve myself, take diet supplements, kill myself with exercise, etc. Losing weight is waaaaay easier than i thought it would be. The discipline has to be there though to monitor calories/portions of course. I wish i would have discovered this much sooner. I'm down 26 lbs in 60 days and I'm so happy with my progress so far.