Weights - Lean not muscle

Options
I'm wanting to slim down and I've always been on the chunky side. I've found myself two gym buddies which is really good for motivation however they are both blokes. All three of us are currently doing the same exercises though I'm doing a little more cardio. However we use the same weight machines. I use lower weights but we do the same number of reps (3 sets of 12) on the low row, chest press and leg press. I also do some crunches and triceps curls. There seems to be an on-line argument as to whether women should do lower weights and more reps or not and whether we should use the same machines as men. MFP peeps - What are your opinions?

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? Why are you using these machines, these weights, these reps?
  • michelletowle52
    michelletowle52 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I go heavier than some men in the gym and I'm a tiny little lady only 4ft10. I'm now a lot leaner than my profile picture too. I squat one and a half times my body weight. Dead lift 100kg leg press 150kg. 12/15 reps 4+ sets. Go as heavy as you want with good form. Enjoy it sounds like you are.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    If you lift in a caloric deficit you will not gain muscle... you will recomp a bit and preserve your lean mass while losing fat if your diet is under wraps. Lift to preserve your mass... count calories for fat loss and you'll get there. The program doesn't even really matter although a good full body program full of compound lifts will be most effective
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    It's up to you as given you are dieting (and therefore maintaining a consistent negative energy balance) you won't experience much if any muscle growth anyway.

If you want to go heavy with lower reps then do it. If you want to go lighter with more reps than do so. What is important is that you have exposed your muscles to sufficient stress to prompt your body to retain the existing muscles you have or minimise loss of muscle. In practical terms this means the last few reps of each set will be challenging but not impossible to do.

Then, when you have lost body fat through your calorie deficit, the sleek, "toned" muscle underneath will be revealed.

• nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    You don't need to worry about getting big if you are in a calorie deficit. While you can build muscle in a deficit (there are limits though), the volume will be tiny compared to the volume of fat you will lose, so you will only get smaller. If my biceps could have gotten bigger while my stomach shrunk I would have loved it... so far no luck, my biceps are smaller too.

As for number of reps, pick a routine that will accomplish your goals and that you will stick to. You could more efficiently utilize your time with a beginner program that focuses on compound lifts. StrongLifts, Strong Curves, and others would all fit the bill.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Women have 16 times less testosterone than men. We do not "bulk up". We are biologically not able to. The pics you see of "bulky" women are either on something to help them gain like men or so low body fat and dehydrated the day of the show to show off the muscle better. Lift heavy and don't worry about it. You will get beautiful muscle definition and strength that will prevent future joint injury.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    the myth that women should lift itty bitty pink weights that weigh less than their purses for a gazillion reps needs to go away...

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

i'd also recommend dumping the machines and using free weights. you would also have better results with a structured program. look into the New Rules of Lifting for Women. that's a great place to start...the read alone is worth it and will illustrate to you how stupid these myths are.
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Dr_sparky wrote: »
    I'm wanting to slim down and I've always been on the chunky side. I've found myself two gym buddies which is really good for motivation however they are both blokes. All three of us are currently doing the same exercises though I'm doing a little more cardio. However we use the same weight machines. I use lower weights but we do the same number of reps (3 sets of 12) on the low row, chest press and leg press. I also do some crunches and triceps curls. There seems to be an on-line argument as to whether women should do lower weights and more reps or not and whether we should use the same machines as men. MFP peeps - What are your opinions?

I think there's no accurate way of generalizing what "women should do" because all women don't have the same goals:

Some women want to be as strong as possible.
    Some women want to be as thin as they can be.
    Some women aspire to be bendy yogis.
    Some women aspire to be bodybuilders.
    Some want to run marathons.
    Some just want to look good naked.
    Some want their body to perform at peak levels so they can excel on their chosen sport...

So you should first determine what your goals are (be as specific as possible) and then tailor a fitness regimen and nutrition plan to help you achieve those goals.
    Your goals don't have to be exclusive either -- you can have a few different fitness objectives at a time.

But there's no "one size fits all" when it comes to women's health and fitness.

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options

I think there's no accurate way of generalizing what "women should do" because all women don't have the same goals:

Some women want to be as strong as possible.
    Some women want to be as thin as they can be.
    Some women aspire to be bendy yogis.
    Some women aspire to be bodybuilders.
    Some want to run marathons.
    Some just want to look good naked.
    Some want their body to perform at peak levels so they can excel on their chosen sport...

So you should first determine what your goals are (be as specific as possible) and then tailor a fitness regimen and nutrition plan to help you achieve those goals.
    Your goals don't have to be exclusive either -- you can have a few different fitness objectives at a time.

But there's no "one size fits all" when it comes to women's health and fitness.

All this. What you *should* do in the gym or how you tailor your diet, male or female, is entirely goal specific.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    If the concern is about building muscle, being on a calorie deficit while lifting probably isn't going to make it happen. Building muscle means adding mass and adding mass means eating a surplus.
    Dependent on goals, your weights and reps will vary, but if you're just trying to look good naked, use resistance that's challenging. Lack of resistance when using weight doesn't help much with firming up muscle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Do you want the body of a gymnast

8437f0435e620f1080c050a7d2a63152.jpg

or the body of a weightlifter.

2010-10-05-18-08-27.png
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Best idea ever -- when I finally have the space for a power cage of my very own, I'm going to paint it pink and bedazzle the heck out of it. That way it's clearly a girl machine.

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    OP, the way you eat is going to make much more of a difference in how you look than your rep/set scheme and which machines you use. That, and your genetic predisposition. If you are eating at a deficit, you will slim down; however, where your body takes the fat from is not under your control. You need to be eating at a surplus and running a progressive lifting program in order to add mass, and it's difficult for women to get "bulky." It doesn't happen by accident.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you lift in a caloric deficit you will not gain muscle... you will recomp a bit and preserve your lean mass while losing fat if your diet is under wraps. Lift to preserve your mass... count calories for fat loss and you'll get there. The program doesn't even really matter although a good full body program full of compound lifts will be most effective

Pretty much this. The main difference between heavy weight/low reps and light weight/high rep is the first will make you stronger and the latter will probably give yoi endurance. Honestly, its generally beneficial to do both.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,122 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

2010-10-05-18-08-27.png

Pic of the weightlifter is misleading. Very few women would look like that from lifting heavy without the aid of steroids. For more realistic pics check out http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/977538/halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky#latest
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What you do is dependent on your goals but there is no physiological necessity for your average woman to lift less weight for more reps. Women can follow the same programs as men.
  • lmsaa
    lmsaa Posts: 51 Member
    Options

There seems to be an on-line argument as to whether women should do lower weights and more reps or not and whether we should use the same machines as men. MFP peeps - What are your opinions?

I used to go to a gym that had two different brands of strength training equipment. One had the left and right sides of the body working separately, and the other had both sides moving one connected piece, so that the stronger side of the body could compensate for the weaker side. The women tended to work on the "connected" equipment (I don't know if I'm explaining this well - think of both hands moving a bar instead of a separate weight in each hand for the concept), and the men tended to use the other equipment with much heavier weights, although lighter weights were also available for that equipment. I'm not sure if the women made a conscious choice regarding the type of equipment, or whether they used the machines that the men were leaving free.

After a few months of group classes, mostly Body Pump, I started working with a personal trainer there, and she told me to use the equipment that worked each side of the body independently. (One could work both sides simultaneously, of course, but each side of the body had to do its own work.) She had me do a lot with free weights also, but you asked about machines. So, I would preferentially use the machines in your gym that work each extremity independently, if you have a choice.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options

2010-10-05-18-08-27.png

That looks like Xena: Warrior Princess's head on someone else's body.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

2010-10-05-18-08-27.png

Are you asserting that one of these two does the equivalent of less weight with more reps?
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    lmsaa wrote: »
    There seems to be an on-line argument as to whether women should do lower weights and more reps or not and whether we should use the same machines as men. MFP peeps - What are your opinions?

I used to go to a gym that had two different brands of strength training equipment. One had the left and right sides of the body working separately, and the other had both sides moving one connected piece, so that the stronger side of the body could compensate for the weaker side. The women tended to work on the "connected" equipment (I don't know if I'm explaining this well - think of both hands moving a bar instead of a separate weight in each hand for the concept), and the men tended to use the other equipment with much heavier weights, although lighter weights were also available for that equipment. I'm not sure if the women made a conscious choice regarding the type of equipment, or whether they used the machines that the men were leaving free.

After a few months of group classes, mostly Body Pump, I started working with a personal trainer there, and she told me to use the equipment that worked each side of the body independently. (One could work both sides simultaneously, of course, but each side of the body had to do its own work.) She had me do a lot with free weights also, but you asked about machines. So, I would preferentially use the machines in your gym that work each extremity independently, if you have a choice.

I've found this to be true as well. Free weights are best, but if you're going to use machines use this type. Much better for proportion and progress.