Addicted to spaghetti

Options
I am literally addicted to spaghetti and crave it all the time. I'm struggling to lose my baby weight (after my 5th child). Although I do quite a lot of exercise (walking), I love food and justveat too much. In each of my pregnancies, I suffered from 6 months of morning sickness, which made me incredibly low, so I always over eat afterwards.

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Literally? Only spaghetti?
  • lifeandleaves
    lifeandleaves Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Have you considered subbing spaghetti noodles for spelt noodles, which are higher in protein and fiber and more filling, so you need to eat fewer of them?

Also, I eat a LOT of zoodles, i.e. zucchini noodles, which I make with a spiralizer. One zucchini is enough for a decent portion for one person, and can be heated by blanching and used just like spaghetti. One portion contains something like 40 calories instead of over 200 in grain-based spagetti.

Spaghetti squash is another option during winter time if you like it. Bake it in one in of water, cut in half, face down (I am not 100% sure how long, but a quick google search will reveal the right method to cook this).

It takes time to get used to new things, but replacing that 'spaghetti experience' with something similar, but lower-calorie, might help you to overcome a spaghetti addiction.

I love eating noodles and long pasta, simply for the texture and the eating method, i.e. twirling on the fork and so on. It's just fun and different than cramming a wrap or sandwich, or chopping and stabbing, or spooning. I guess eating is really quite a complex experience, and so I like to mix it up with noodles and find using vegetable noodles allows me to do this for far fewer calories.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I recently had black bean pasta for the first time, and loved it. I second the suggestion to try spaghetti squash or spiralized zucchini. Love the both (although spaghetti squash gets the nod because it's less work).
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    If you stop cooking the spaghetties, they'll be less appealing.
    And pokey.
  • PeggLegg8
    PeggLegg8 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ive tried courgetti, even bought myself a spiralizer, but it's still not as good as real spaghetti lol. Haha and I don't just eat spaghetti, I actually eat lots of things "healthy" things, just too much of them. I never get sick of spaghetti though, I could eat it three times a day!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Have you tried mixing the vegetti with the spaghetti? I bulk out my pasta dishes this way, still get the yum of real pasta and the bulk of a big bowl, but less calories.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    PeggLegg8 wrote: »
    Ive tried courgetti, even bought myself a spiralizer, but it's still not as good as real spaghetti lol. Haha and I don't just eat spaghetti, I actually eat lots of things "healthy" things, just too much of them. I never get sick of spaghetti though, I could eat it three times a day!

That isn't an addiction.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Well then you are sort of doomed, aren't you? What sorts of things might you try that you haven't done before?
  • emhunter
    emhunter Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    All the healthy substitutes suggested above are great options. Have you tried making your own spaghetti sauce or using ground turkey or chicken instead of ground beef? One suggestion could be allow yourself to eat it as much as you want and then maybe you get sick of it after, say a month, of eating it all the time.

Either way, is there a reason why you don't want to eat your spaghetti as much anymore? Trying to limit carbs? Getting too much fat or cholesterol? If you're not eating a bunch of cheese and having a lean protein for your sauce, it doesn't seem like enjoying a plate of spaghetti is the worse thing.
  • steuartcj
    steuartcj Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Eat what you like, as much as you like. That's how you got where you're at now. Eat what you like in lesser amounts, less often. Make some better choices as to what you eat MOST OF THE TIME.. Veggies, steamed, roasted, raw are your friends. Get creative with spices. Chicken is great in home made sauces on spaghetti squash. Take the whole squash (uncut), puncture with a fork in 4-6 places. Place on bake sheet pan in a 385-400 degree oven for about 50-55 min. Remove let cool, cut in half, remove seeds and outer skin. Use a scale for portions (check on line for calories). You can freeze in bags. Just thaw and toss in a non stick pan to dry out if you wish. Get creative, but remember where you want to go, and watch the salt. You can do it. Weight loss is a life style change. Yeah I know, bla, bla, bla. Sorry.
  • lx3tx
    lx3tx Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    On the topic of zucchini noodles, I usually saute them with garlic and onion. Sometimes I add browned mushrooms and spinach. I now much prefer that to pasta, and I never thought that would happen.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I've started making an "Italian stew" instead of pasta just so I can eat a larger volume. It's essentially just pasta sauce with tons of meat and veggies in it. I'll use turkey sausage for flavor, shredded chicken to increase protein for fewer calories, mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, shredded zucchini, shredded carrots, goat cheese, and fresh basil. It's really good!
  • kissedbythesunshine
    Options
    lx3tx wrote: »
    On the topic of zucchini noodles, I usually saute them with garlic and onion. Sometimes I add browned mushrooms and spinach. I now much prefer that to pasta, and I never thought that would happen.

That sounds so good. I'm going to try this