What odd things have surprised you about weight loss?

Replies

• alanahp93
    alanahp93 Posts: 56 Member
    For me I was shocked when my shoes suddenly went down a size, they were tiny to begin with lol
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    My *kitten* went flat too! Lol
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    What surprised me is the fact that I actually HAVE hipbones!!!
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited November 2015
    brownels wrote: »
    How much less my grocery bill is, and how much longer the foods I do buy last in the house!

So true for me, too! For me the biggest item I notice lasting a lot longer is cheese. I was eating way too much of it before and a little will go a longer way than you think! Also, wine and bread. No wonder I was overweight!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    I feel taller.

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    How much it will bother you to go out to eat with friends and they end up changing places to eat at the last second and you're bothered because you had already prelogged everything you were going to eat.
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    The way my weight is shifting now that I'm older. Or maybe I'm just not as hard on myself as I was at 26. But I feel like I look thinner at 40 than I did at the same weight at 26.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    KaiUneeda wrote: »
    I do not think my bum is saggy, but definitely flat. We should start a group. haha

Ha! Flat-bottom brigade?
  • crb426
    How much it will bother you to go out to eat with friends and they end up changing places to eat at the last second and you're bothered because you had already prelogged everything you were going to eat.

Yes! My husband will do that to me at home too. I plan out the meal we're cooking for dinner and as it gets closer he'll say it doesn't sound good and wants something else. "But I already calculated those calories in!"
  • advisingwench
    advisingwench Posts: 53 Member
    alanahp93 wrote: »
    For me I was shocked when my shoes suddenly went down a size, they were tiny to begin with lol

Same thing happened here! For now I've doubled up on socks inside my boots and closed shoes. I had to buy all new pumps and sandals, though.

For me, the biggest surprise is how easily the weight comes off if I TRULY commit myself to eating within my calorie range. Every time I "stall" it's been because I've eaten foods that I didn't allow for in my diary. I've been in a faux stall for the last month and a half, in fact, and am just now trying to get that back under control.

At least I don't gain more than a pound or two when this happens, I guess.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    The bones. I haven't seen them in over 30 years, so they really look like they don't belong. I woke up one day and my knees were uncomfortable because the bones were pressing on each other. I remembered how anorexics are always asking for extra pillows so they can sleep pain-free. If my knees hurt at 150, I can only imagine how they feel. I always believed them that their bones hurt, I'd just never experienced it. Now, I don't just believe it, I get it.

Fitting into spaces. You'd think it would be a Duh, but the day I could squeeze past the grocery cart was a big deal. I was impressed, lol.

How fast I go through clothes. I bought shorts in sizes 10 and 8 to get through the winter and am in the 10s already. I cannot lose more than ten or fifteen pounds until March. Losing weight is not cheap!

Hangers! I need the adjustable ones for pants and shorts because my clothes aren't wider than the hangers anymore! :smiley:

The loose skin. I guess I hoped some magical weight loss fairy would save me from it. It's the worst. When I realized that I could lose weight, I had this dream of becoming thin and having a good body. I now realize that will never happen. Even at my fattest, there was the idea that if I lost weight, I'd have a good body. Now that hope is gone and it's a little depressing.

People treat me better. Strangers, anyway. Obese strangers don't. I used to get that "we are in the club" thing, now I don't. In my heart, though, I'm still in the club.

Balance. To wash the top of the car, I open the door and balance with my feet in the car. It's just a whole different kind of balancing now. And harder, for some reason.

Driving. the last week or so, I keep playing with the seat. I cannot seem to find the right position for it.

Everything is different.
  • crb426
    Kalikel wrote: »

How fast I go through clothes. I bought shorts in sizes 10 and 8 to get through the winter and am in the 10s already. I cannot lose more than ten or fifteen pounds until March. Losing weight is not cheap!

Yes! I bought a bunch of pants in size 8 and burned right through those. Now I literally have one pair of work pants and one pair of jeans in size 6 that actually fit. I have to constantly wear baggy pants with a belt on the tightest notch just to mix up my wardrobe!
  • KaiUneeda
    KaiUneeda Posts: 46 Member
    crb426 wrote: »
    I do not think my bum is saggy, but definitely flat. We should start a group. haha

Ha! Flat-bottom brigade?

The Flums!
  • crb426
    crb426 wrote: »

Ha! Flat-bottom brigade?

The Flums!

Ha ha ha! Yes!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    125goals wrote: »
    The bones in my back, the way I move my arms they stick out and it scares me. I think it looks so weird...but it's normal
    I don't know what those bones are called FYI. Can anyone tell me?

Your shoulder blades (scapulae)?
  • FabianRodriguez94
    FabianRodriguez94 Posts: 221 Member
    The back of my knees, those bones feel disgusting to touch because I can- for the first time- actually touch them.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Is a saggy butt due to age or weightloss?

Lack of squats! Haha.

Sadly, my grocery bill is actually MORE than it was before, because I'm actually purchasing fresh produce instead of ramen noodles and boxed meals.

I'm surprised at how uncomfortable it is to sit on a hard surface like the steps. I'm still about 30lb away from my goal and the boniness is already bothersome :(
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    How much better I look and feel by incorporating weights and resistance training into my work out routine. Last time I 'lost weight', my body looked like a log with breasts. Now with all the squat and lunge variations, as well as good mornings and deadlifts (plus many more exercises), I don't look so flat. YAY. The only cardio I do is ~20min of Kickboxing a day.

Also, my feet got smaller. At 260lbs, I was a 10 Aus....Now I am a 7.5-8 Can.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Is a saggy butt due to age or weightloss?

Lack of squats! Haha.

Sadly, my grocery bill is actually MORE than it was before, because I'm actually purchasing fresh produce instead of ramen noodles and boxed meals.

I'm surprised at how uncomfortable it is to sit on a hard surface like the steps. I'm still about 30lb away from my goal and the boniness is already bothersome :(

Yeah my butt always hurts if I sit on something too long.

I don't buy fresh produce anymore unless it's really cheap, or really need them for a recipe, because you just can't beat $1 frozen veggies (plus I don't have to worry about them going bad).
  • knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    How bone-y my shins would get lol I don't know how that surprised me so much, but it did

^this.
    I'm terrified for the next time I rap my shins on something. I know it's coming.